fishing

fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Abu Garcia Revo SX-HS parts/disassembly problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SkyChimp_*

Guest_SkyChimp_*
  • Guests

Posted June 17 2007 - 08:50 PM

I went to take my REVO SX apart for the first time to clean and lube.  The small screw on the bottom just to the rear of the handle had been put in so tight at the factory that I stripped the head taking it out.   I've been perusing the internet looking for the part.  Can't find it anywhere (or any Revo parts for that matter) so I emailed Abu Garcia for help.  Hopefully I can get a replacement from them.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have disassembled all my reels periodically for cleaning and lubing.  But the REVO SX has me stumped.  I removed the two tiny sideplate screws and the chromed knurled screw on the top of the sideplate (all these on the handle side) but the reel didn't disassemble.  There aren't any visible screws on the left side where the mag-brake dial is.  At this point, fearing the thing would pop-apart with little doo-dads going everywhere, I put the screws back in and tightened the knurled screw finger tight.  

Does anyone know the procedure to field strip this reel?  The owner's manual shows the points that need to be lubed, but the reel needs to be disassembled to get to them.   There are no directions, only an exploded diagram which isn't very helpful.

Great reel, but sh**ty instructions.  Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Guest_DavidGreen_*

Guest_DavidGreen_*
  • Guests

Posted June 18 2007 - 08:08 AM

SkyChimp,

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have disassembled all my reels periodically for cleaning and lubing.  But the REVO SX has me stumped.  I removed the two tiny sideplate screws and the chromed knurled screw on the top of the sideplate (all these on the handle side) but the reel didn't disassemble.  There aren't any visible screws on the left side where the mag-brake dial is.  At this point, fearing the thing would pop-apart with little doo-dads going everywhere, I put the screws back in and tightened the knurled screw finger tight.

Does anyone know the procedure to field strip this reel?  The owner's manual shows the points that need to be lubed, but the reel needs to be disassembled to get to them.   There are no directions, only an exploded diagram which isn't very helpful.

Great reel, but sh**ty instructions.

Normally I would say...
"Stay out of it you don't know what your doing"

The basic lubrication points in the manual are all accessible without total breakdown of the reel. The area you are trying to access is probably just going to get you into trouble.

This is against my better judgement but here goes....

Remove the palming plate buy loosening the thumbscrew, then turning the plate and it comes off. Next remove the spool, once the spool has been removed look at the race and you will see a phillips head screw next to the opening for the pinion gear. Remove that screw (Don't strip it out), it is a body screw.

Next after you have removed all of the assemblies on the crank side of the reel,  then remove the last two screws. Once those screws are removed grab hold of the threaded area for the cast control cap and lift. The crank side plate will come off.

Good Luck.....
:)

#3 Guest_SkyChimp_*

Guest_SkyChimp_*
  • Guests

Posted June 18 2007 - 06:31 PM

I appreciate your concern.   But this shouldn't be a hard job and shouldn't require a technician to perform.  Stripping a reel to it's basic parts is well within my capabilities.

My issue is that there is a PROPER procedure for field stripping the reel to access the lube points specified in the manual.  But that procedure is not in any of the printed materials included with the reel.  The manual does tell you that failing to maintain the reel will void the warranty, but it fails to tell you how to do it.  Catch 22.  

I contacted Abu Garcia today.  They are sending me a new screw.  Additionally, they've published a set of instructions for field stripping the reel so you can access the lube points.  They are sending those directions as well.  They stated this is a very common question they've received and acknowledged their manual is inadequate in that respect.  

On a side note, I received exceptional service from Abu Garcia customer service.  

#4 lubina

lubina

Senkomania. South Jersey man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 04:45 PM

SkyChimp and Reelmech, very good info. I haven't taken mine apart yet on the crank side, I just changed the bearing and oil them.
Fish, fish, eat, fish....sleep

#5 BlackBassAngler

BlackBassAngler

Fry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 06:20 PM

[quote name='SkyChimp' timestamp='1182131425' post='277545']
I went to take my REVO SX apart for the first time to clean and lube. The small screw on the bottom just to the rear of the handle had been put in so tight at the factory that I stripped the head taking it out. I've been perusing the internet looking for the part. Can't find it anywhere (or any Revo parts for that matter) so I emailed Abu Garcia for help. Hopefully I can get a replacement from them.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have disassembled all my reels periodically for cleaning and lubing. But the REVO SX has me stumped. I removed the two tiny sideplate screws and the chromed knurled screw on the top of the sideplate (all these on the handle side) but the reel didn't disassemble. There aren't any visible screws on the left side where the mag-brake dial is. At this point, fearing the thing would pop-apart with little doo-dads going everywhere, I put the screws back in and tightened the knurled screw finger tight.

Does anyone know the procedure to field strip this reel? The owner's manual shows the points that need to be lubed, but the reel needs to be disassembled to get to them. There are no directions, only an exploded diagram which isn't very helpful.

Great reel, but sh**ty instructions. Any help would be appreciated.
[ about the revo sx ...there are 2 screws on the outside of the plate and one in the inside by the spool take out the spool and there is a chrome one ..then after that take off the other two ..then when you get to the handle take that off and plus the star drag it unscrews ..then pull off the plate slow ...