bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Best largemouth lure for sunny days?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bass_Akwards

Bass_Akwards

Good things come to those who bait!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 11:45 AM

Love dawn and dusk, but if you had to choose 2 lures, to fish for largemouth bass, on a hot sunny afternoon, what 2 lures would you chose, and why?

Thanks guys.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.  ~Paul Schullery

#2 Cephkiller

Cephkiller

Linton, IN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 11:55 AM

Jig
Worm
"Canst thou catch any fishes, then?"

William Shakespeare - Pericles, Prince of Tyre: II

#3 Raul

Raul

Join me into the Dark Side !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 12:15 PM

A topwater ....... just because I like to fish baits that in everybody 's "rule" book says topwaters are not for sunny days. Never done it ? you should try
"Everybody 's talkin ' 'bout the new sound, funny, but it 's still rock n 'roll to me."

#4 Guest_ncbass24_*

Guest_ncbass24_*
  • Guests

Posted July 07 2007 - 12:31 PM

A senko and a crankbait.

#5 Bass_Akwards

Bass_Akwards

Good things come to those who bait!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 01:09 PM

Really?  Topwater?  You've had good experiences that way?  I don't see a lot of people saying lures like floating rapalas that go deep when you reel 'em in are any good.  I always thought they were the perfect lure for sunny days.  A nice, shiny silver one I would think attract lots of bass.  Maybe I'm wrong which is probably why I created this post in the fist place.  Anyone else with opinions?
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.  ~Paul Schullery

#6 David P

David P

Please Catch and Release

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 01:34 PM

Although I don't fish a jig, that would probably be a top pick along with Shaky head and Drop shotting.

#7 Raul

Raul

Join me into the Dark Side !

• Members
  • 9,334 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 02:12 PM

Really? Topwater? You've had good experiences that way? I don't see a lot of people saying lures like floating rapalas that go deep when you reel 'em in are any good. I always thought they were the perfect lure for sunny days. A nice, shiny silver one I would think attract lots of bass. Maybe I'm wrong which is probably why I created this post in the fist place. Anyone else with opinions?

BA, if I didn 't had good experiences doing what everybody says it shouldn 't be done according to the "rule" book of bass fishing I wouldn 't post it, I 'm not pulling your leg.

Here 's the deal, back then during the age of the dinosaurs when I had to dodge velociraptors in order to get to the lake and catch some celecanths the information on how, where and with what to fish was limited, me living in a third world country made the flow of information even more limited, my dad was not the outdoorsy kind of guy, my granpa was a farmer and he had no time to spend in fishing , there little or no fishing magazines, books or movies, there was no internet, no nuthin so nobody taught me how to fish, the way I learned was to watch and experiment with the few baits I had and fish, sometimes I got skunked, other times I caught fish and when I caught fish I learned a lesson, when I was faced with pretty much the same conditions I remember that X or Y baits were more productive than others. So you see, the most important lesson I learned was: in fishing there 's no such thing as "rules".

Clear waters ---> "natural" colors  
Murky waters ----> " dark " colors  

Sez who ?
"Everybody 's talkin ' 'bout the new sound, funny, but it 's still rock n 'roll to me."

#8 John J.

John J.

Bass Predator: Go With Your Instincts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 04:39 PM

one of my lures would either be a texas-rig or some deep rig (drop-shot, carolina) because when the sun is out, the fish either head for shade or deer water.

Another choice would be a crank-bait/rat'l trap, deep runners.

For sunny days I would suggest finding shade or cover. If you can (depth finder) try to find a creek channel or deep cover/structure. The fish love that during the middle of the day. If you find shade on cover, excellent spot!

Try doing different things however, experiment. You never know, you might find a pattern that works!  ;)

Good luck!  8-)
Posted Image
Current PB: 5lb 4oz & Location of PB: Lake Of the Woods (small lake), Va

#9 MattStrykul

MattStrykul

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yesterday was bluebird skies here and we killed them with Carolina rigs ;).
We were using baby brush hogs.
Love the site! Thanks mods and Glenn!

#10 tbone31

tbone31

catch'em big

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 06:42 PM

Shaky Head
 Drop shot rig

Stay on the deep side of the weed edges!!
t-bone

NE  Indiana

#11 Bankbeater

Bankbeater

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 11:31 PM

Rat-l-trap 1/2 ounce black/blue.
T rigged plastic worm.
Catching dinks in Missouri

#12 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • 13,816 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 07:49 AM

Raul is right. There are no rules of bass fishing written in concrete.

I fished two clients' ponds in the past three weeks and caught bass on topwaters during the middle of the day on Scum Frogs and Pop-Rs.  I also caught bass on spinnerbaits retreived close to the surface.

I guess the fish don't read books, magazines or watch the fishing shows on TV.

I have had friends catch bass on buzzbaits during the middle of the day with a bluebird sky above.

I have fished a tournament and my friend nailed four at one creek mouth with a Chuggbug around 11 AM.

And what about throwing those Horney Toads above the grasses?  Although not on top of the water they are darn close to the surface.

So just go out and have fun trying different baits and presentations.  You can't go wrong and it will be a learning experience.
Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

#13 Catt

Catt

Drop the rod, reel the slack, & set the hook!

• Members
  • 14,326 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 08:24 AM

Deep water structure and a Texas Rig, Carolina Rig or Jig-N-Craw

This one bite a Jig-N-Craw  ;)

Posted Image
Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

#14 JigNBig

JigNBig

Skinny Bear Jigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 09:31 AM

Because im from alabama ill have to go for the better name

ALABAMA RIG

but war eagle!
Coosa River, AL

#15 the ohh face

the ohh face

patience

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 11:31 AM

I like using a frog in the slop because I always see a few topwater explosions among the weeds on sunny days and spinners  along weed edges and points as a searchbait.  I cant really say that is the best though, just what I try first.

Caught some monsters lately on a tube in the afternoon w/ bright sun.