bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Shimano Curado 100D for Swimbaits?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky Craft Man

Lucky Craft Man

SM Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 02:30 PM

I have a G Loomis SWBR904C (rated for swimbaits up to 3 oz.), which I had a Quantum Tour Edition on (gear ratio 7.0:1), but I didn't like having a high IPT reel for swimbaits.  I have a Curado 100D laying around that I thought I could use (since the curado 100D has 25 IPT) and was wondering if anyone used a Curado 100D for swimbaits?  My obvious concerns are line capacity and the reels ability to handle heavier baits (not to mention a balancing issue with the light weight reel).  Please share any experience you may have with this reel for heavier baits.  Thanks in advance.
Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo

I love my wife she puts up with my fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 03:23 PM

I think you may be better off with the DSV of the Curado. These 100's cast like a dream and you could spool it. I came close on my 100D with a 3/4 weight.
My biggest fear is that I finally catch a double digit Bass and will want to mount it.

Practice Catch, Photo and Release

#3 Lucky Craft Man

Lucky Craft Man

SM Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 03:44 PM

I think you may be better off with the DSV of the Curado. These 100's cast like a dream and you could spool it. I came close on my 100D with a 3/4 weight.

That was part of my concern...thanks for the response.
Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Raul

Raul

Join me into the Dark Side !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 03:58 PM

A Curado 100D ain 't gonna hold much heavy line ( Curado 100DSV can hold a lot more ) but let 's suppose you can 't put yor hands on a Curado 100 DSV, well the simplest solution is to get a Citica 100DSV spool from Shimano ( direct swap, no compatibility issues ) and there you have, a Curado 100 DSV good for swimbaiting.
"Everybody 's talkin ' 'bout the new sound, funny, but it 's still rock n 'roll to me."

#5 Lucky Craft Man

Lucky Craft Man

SM Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 04:00 PM

A Curado 100D ain 't gonna hold much heavy line ( Curado 100DSV can hold a lot more ) but let 's suppose you can 't put yor hands on a Curado 100 DSV, well the simplest solution is to get a Citica 100DSV spool from Shimano ( direct swap, no compatibility issues ) and there you have, a Curado 100 DSV good for swimbaiting.

hmmm....I like the way you think Raul.  Thanks!
Pittsburgh, PA