bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Berkley Bionix Rods

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fat-G

Fat-G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 02:55 PM

I have a 6' MHF Casting model, and I have to say, for a rod I got for $20, it is REALLY sensitive.

I use it sometimes for pitching finesse jigs and senkos around timer. If anyone needs a cheap, sensitive rod, be sure to check these out.
Hayden

www.ragetail.com

#2 Guest_beowulfx71_*

Guest_beowulfx71_*
  • Guests

Posted February 06 2010 - 09:36 PM

Last spring I needed an extra spinning rod so i bought a M Bionix-snapped after about 10 casts, so I sent it in to Pure Fishing and received another one-snapped like a twig after about 5 casts.  I would never buy another Berkely rod for now on Im paying the extra dollars and sticking with USA made St Croixs.

#3 Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts

Bass Trout Elk Deer Grouse Rabbits etc...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 10:38 PM

I've had a 6MH casting since a Berkley rep gave it to me 25 years ago. It was the most sensitive rod I'd seen to date at that time. It's IM6, but VERY light weight. With the original pistol grip it weighed about 3.5oz. Therein lies it's sensitivity. I eventually replaced the handle with a longer straight handle, gluing on a sawed off glass downrigger handle section, and it then weighed around 4oz.

The rod is still sensitive enough that I'd gain little in replacing it.

#4 Ern

Ern

one day at a time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 11:14 PM

I have a 6' Medium.  IM-7 and SIC guides.  I found it at Walmart close to 7 years ago.  $5  on clearance.  I wouldn't take $500 for it.   It is the rod I am holding in the profile picture.   Caught alot of fish with it, fresh and salt. Would love to have another.

#5 Daniel My Brother

Daniel My Brother

Cape Girardeau, Mo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 11:22 PM

I've got a 7 FT M spinning version that I use. Fishes more like a medium-light. Love it for finesse fishing, bass, crappie, and white bass. A fast enough tip for soft plastics, but still casts the light stuff well. Fun, versatile rod that's held up well.  Certainly worth whatever I paid for it
Fishing Southern Illinois and Southeast Missouri

#6 Matt Kremers

Matt Kremers

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 12:19 PM

I have a couple of the Berkley rods that I am in process of phasing out. My biggest problem with them is the guides. They dig up my line really bad

#7 Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 01:26 PM

Last spring I needed an extra spinning rod so i bought a M Bionix-snapped after about 10 casts, so I sent it in to Pure Fishing and received another one-snapped like a twig after about 5 casts. I would never buy another Berkely rod for now on Im paying the extra dollars and sticking with USA made St Croixs.

I don't think they make them anymore. They were made back in the 80s. Are you sure these were Berkley Bionix? If they have a secret stash of them. I'd for one would like to know.

#8 Stasher1

Stasher1

It's really not about catching fish at all.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 03:20 PM

Last spring I needed an extra spinning rod so i bought a M Bionix-snapped after about 10 casts, so I sent it in to Pure Fishing and received another one-snapped like a twig after about 5 casts. I would never buy another Berkely rod for now on Im paying the extra dollars and sticking with USA made St Croixs.

I don't think they make them anymore. They were made back in the 80s. Are you sure these were Berkley Bionix? If they have a secret stash of them. I'd for one would like to know.

I see them in my local Walmarts from time to time.   
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."  -  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contrary to popular belief, "Shimano" is not the answer to every question.

#9 Daniel My Brother

Daniel My Brother

Cape Girardeau, Mo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 03:20 PM

Paul,
I don't know if they still make them, but I got mine maybe 3 years ago at Wal-Mart. Wally World is the only place I've heard of people finding them lately so maybe they had some sort of exclusive deal with Berkley?

#10 Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 05:49 PM

What do they look like? I'll get a pic of mine for you.

#11 Bass4Me007

Bass4Me007

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 06:10 PM

They are indeed still sold at many Walmarts. I used to use them quite a bit. One of the better rods for the price. Just saw new ones stocked locally a couple days ago.

#12 Daniel My Brother

Daniel My Brother

Cape Girardeau, Mo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted February 07 2010 - 11:46 PM

Charcoal grey, full cork, 9 stainless guides, hook keeper, IM 7 blank. Very similar to a Lightning Rod.

Here are a few pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Dave D

Dave D

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted February 08 2010 - 10:43 PM

I bought 2 of these rods two falls ago on clearance for $22 each marked down from $54. They are 7ft M 1/4-5/8 spinning rods.

I have them paired with 2500 Prodigy reels. I use then for senkos, tubes, drop shotting, and weightless worms. I am hooked on these rods for the $$$.

I bought another one this fall for the same price. Great rods for the money in my opinion.

#14 Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 06:00 PM

Charcoal grey, full cork, 9 stainless guides, hook keeper, IM 7 blank. Very similar to a Lightning Rod.

Here are a few pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks, Daniel.

Nope, that's not my rod. Mine is black and has a couple red stripes above the handle. Can't seem to find the time to photo it. It was made in the mid 80s and was given to me by the Berkley Rep. He said it was a prototype and some changes were going to be made in the reel seat. I saw some here and there later, similar to mine. Sweet rod. It was a higher end rod then, behind the Series One.

Interesting you compare yours with a LightningRod. I recently bought a Series One on close-out, and can only describe it as a "glorified LightningRod". It's also IM7. Seems Berkley has got out of the running for high end rods. They seem to be going with durability, and/or targeting low/mod price points.

Wait a minute...I already have pics of it. The handle I added; it came with a pistol grip:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image