Spinning or Baitcasting for Senko

What do you guys prefer to use for Senko/worm fishing? I have read some post on Senko setups, and folks got different ideas. Can anyone please explain the advantage on both Spinning and Bait casting setups for Senko/Worm fishing? And which one you would prefer? Thx. :)

baitcaster. I far prefer to use a baitcaster whenever possible. The only time I would use spinning is in very clear water with spooky fish where I would have to go down to 6lb line. Casting with a baitcaster for me is more accurate, quicker to get another cast out, and more comfortable. Playing fish is easier as well

I think this depends to a degree, what senko type bait you throw. The actual Yamamoto seems dense and heavy enough for light end bait-casting. I use spinning gear myself for weightless plastics unless the cover calls for heavier gear.

If I remember right a weightless 5" Yamamoto Senko weighs nearly 3/8oz.   Any casting reel should throw that.   Wacky style I prefer using a spinning reel.  Texas rigged I prefer a baitcaster.  I find a 4" Senko more successful and only throw that on a spinning rig.

Baitcaster. More for accuracy in casting than anything else. There are plenty of anglers that are very accurate with a Spinning rod, I'm just not one of them.

I'm equally inaccurate with both spinning & baitcasting gear  :)  Thus, I use both depending upon my situation, mood, or whichever is closest :)

• Like 1

Thank you for all the help guys.

One of my friends said, the reason I dont use baitcaster rod because senko's are so soft and sometimes he will throw one off during casting. And I believe he fish weightless. Anyone else ever experienced that?

• Super User

Still shouldn't fly off. Now, my guess is he maybe slinging the rod to hard, in hopes of getting longer cast's..?  The lighter the bait, the more you need to loosen the spool tension.. :)

yeah. He usually fish wacky style, maybe that's why the worm flies off?

• Super User

I use spinning for wacky rigging, and I fish a Senko wacky rigged most of the time. I have thrown them off while casting. I doubt that my thumb would have responded in time to prevent a serious professional overrun had I been using casting gear. Just my .02. Try both and use what works best for you. Good luck.

I started using a baitcaster last year, and use it these days whenever possible.  It's all preference, i'm sure there's people that will give a convincing argument that casting is better, and i'm sure others will give a convincing argument that spinning is better. (I find this topic to almost be like discussing manual vs. automatic tranny on a car forum.  both sides have their fans) Use what feels best to you.

• Super User

I truly believe that preference for baitcasting or spinning, is basically just a personal preference choice.

There is little that cannot be done successfully with a spinning rig. The converse is not necessarily true however. Especially when you start getting down in line and lure sizes. The fable of line twist with modern spinning rigs can usually be found to be caused by operator error. Either the line was improperly installed, the bail is not manually tripped, or an incorrect rigging (such as not using a swivel when needed) is employed.

Whether I'm running braid, fluorocarbon or mono on my main line, I always use an appropriate sized fluorocarbon leader of about 3' long with a quality swivel in between.

More to the point of this question at hand; a good spinning rig, loaded with 10# fluorocarbon line is about as optimal as you can get for throwing Senkos. And that includes whichever rigging way you want to toss.

The "snapping" off of any wacky rigged Senko is usually caused by inserting the hook through the worm (without any support), instead of using an attachment device, such as an o-ring or Goody band. I've caught as many as 8 or 9 fish on one Senko using Goodys. No problems....no worries.

• Like 2

• Super User

You will lose many baits if you combine wacky rig with baitcaster.  The bait usually flies off on the back swing, before you notice, and you then backlash on the follow through, trying to cast a bare hook, LOL.

Now, tie on a wide gap worm hook, and t-rig the Senko, and you should be able to skip it with a baitcaster with a little practice.

You will lose many baits if you combine wacky rig with baitcaster. The bait usually flies off on the back swing, before you notice, and you then backlash on the follow through, trying to cast a bare hook, LOL.

Now, tie on a wide gap worm hook, and t-rig the Senko, and you should be able to skip it with a baitcaster with a little practice.

That sounds fun Francho...hahah!

I think what works best for senkos is... what ever you are comfortable with.  There are not too many specifics on how to fish a senko.  Although I will say that a spinning rig spooled up w/6 pound mono or fluoro would be ideal for fishing senkos and other finesse baits in areas that don't have a lot of cover.  While a casting rig w/braid or higher pound test fluoro or mono would be ideal for fishing areas with cover.

And yes, those O-Rings greatly improves the longevity of senkos.

Generally speaking i use a spinning for open water and a baitcaster for tight water. But...... if i'm tossing a tube and a senko i will put the tube on my spinning reel and use the baitcaster for a senko. I also generally throw weightless plastics on a medium fast spinnning rig and weighted plastics on a medium heavy extra fast baitcaster rig.

I guess there no right or wrong in this case i just see what works best on the water and do that.

• Super User

I was fishing a GYCB Senko just yesterday on a BC rig and when I reeled the bait back in after a cast, it was torn most of the way through at the point the EWG hook point passes through the worm. I was just lucky that 2/3 of the bait didn't break off on the backcast and give me a major backlash. Been thinkin' maybe I'll go to spinning gear - at least for the GYCB Senko - others like the YumDinger seem a lot tougher and I haven't had one come apart like the GYCB bait.