Quantum sucks!!! Wait does it? KVD uses their stuff

I want to know what you guys think. I have worked at two major fishing retailers and am still at one. Quantum products seam to be of a different quality than Shimano, Daiwa, and Abu Garcia IMO. I have had a few personal dealings with their reps and they don't persuade customers into buying their product they usually brand bash customers into their product (side note-all reps do it a little bit but Quantum reps or at least the 6 I have worked with go way over the top). The KVD rods, Superlights, and I heard the Smoke are good and most of the PT line reels (newest frame styles) feel ok. Some of their old stuff just seemed to be junkie. Energy rods just left something to be desired. I have seen the blue Tours new in box feel just awful. The spinning reels with cracked drags after a few uses. Reels that I felt almost embarrassed to sell one to a customer. Maybe it is just me but I Quantum is always my last resort because I have little faith in their product. I would love to hear your opinions on Quantum. Hopefully one of you can change my mind because even the great KVD can't.

The great KVD wins millions of dollars, catches the biggest and the most fish, and does it with equipment you don't approve of... hmmm... What have you done lately?

BTW, I use Shimano rods and Pflueger reels. I have never touched Quantum gear.

I look at it like basketball. If I go and buy a Kobe Bryant basketball, I'm not going to be an MVP in the NBA. Like wise with KVD gear. It takes years of practice and skills I don't have.

KVD would kickass with an Ugly Stick. He could have won the last Classic with an Ugly Stick and a float tube. The guy is amazing.

I'm pretty sure he's getting his rods/reels for free, as well. What does he care if they only last him a couple trips? If you work for a living and have to make your $200+ reels last a few years, you're going to be a bit more concerned about longevity.  :D

I've been using Quantum products exclusively for over 20 yrs and have never had any issues with them. All my current gear is Quantum Tour and Energy PT with Tour Edition signature series rods and they are great. There is too much crap talking from the snobby shimano guys.

• Like 2

Yea i ended up with 5 energy pts and 2 tour editon pts when they changed to the new style and were closing out the old ones, and have beat the tick out of them for the last 3 years and not a hiccup yet. My curados on the other hand? Not even kidding, i gave them away. However, the quantums are no daiwas IMO, but still a great product i think.

• Global Moderator

Okay...

Quantum guys speak up and tell your story.

If you don't fish the brand, please start a new

thread and talk about yours, there. The Posse

should stay off this thread.

-Kent

• Super User

I've yet to encounter a problem with my accurists.I consider them great reels.I got rid of my first one and highly regretted it.Ended up re-buying it again.

I bought a Quantum Escalade from Dick's when i first started bass fishing 4 years ago. I had been using a black max and pinnacle solene( both good reels and still used today). I thought this quantum was going to be awesome.  The reel did perform well (and still does) but for the $80 price tag i could have gotten much more. The only things Quantum makes now that interest me are the signatures series rods and the signature series reel that on sale at BPS.

• Super User
I want to know what you guys think. I have worked at two major fishing retailers and am still at one. Quantum products seam to be of a different quality than Shimano, Daiwa, and Abu Garcia IMO. I have had a few personal dealings with their reps and they don't persuade customers into buying their product they usually brand bash customers into their product (side note-all reps do it a little bit but Quantum reps or at least the 6 I have worked with go way over the top). The KVD rods, Superlights, and I heard the Smoke are good and most of the PT line reels (newest frame styles) feel ok. Some of their old stuff just seemed to be junkie. Energy rods just left something to be desired. I have seen the blue Tours new in box feel just awful. The spinning reels with cracked drags after a few uses. Reels that I felt almost embarrassed to sell one to a customer. Maybe it is just me but I Quantum is always my last resort because I have little faith in their product. I would love to hear your opinions on Quantum. Hopefully one of you can change my mind because even the great KVD can't.

id like to know, how much time on the water have you logged with the 4 brands of gear youve listed?

I have been using Quantum reels for at least 20 years. I own 10 Tour PTs, 10 Energy PT's, 2 old MG's, 6 old EX series and have 2 Smokes on the way. Not to mention 3 browning reels that where made by Quantum back in the late 80's to early 90's.

I have had two issues in 20 years. One of the MG reels the anti reverse bearing gave out, most likely my fault for back then I had no clue on maintenance. The other MG I own is still in action, used for cat fishing a few times a year. The other issue was on a EX series in which the drag washer after 15 years of heavy use and never backing off the drag even when storing it, finally gave out. For the record also, none of the EX series reels I own ever got torn down and reel lubed until just a couple years ago when I started paying more attention to maintenance. The have worked like new since day one. The other EX series I own are still to this day in use for crankbait fishing, although I admit they don't get used as much since i started using the Tour and Energy PT models.

I have not had one issue with the Tour or Energy PT's.

I use to be a Shimano guy when I first started bass fishing over 25 years ago, but once I tried a Quantum I never looked back. Best dang reels I have ever used.

As for Quantum's rods, I own a few Tour PT rods that are going on 3 years old I believe. Now there not as good as say my Loomis rods as far as sensitivity and lightness, but they are dam nice rods, plenty sensitive and light enough as to not wear you out from casting them all day. Plus they can take a beating that would send a Loomis rod off crying to its momma. If fact as much as I love my Loomis rods, it's the Tour PT that gets the call over the Loomis when it comes to jig fishing simply because I can load that up with 40 to 50lb braid, lock it down and drive that hook home as hard as I can and get that fish out of the cover in a heartbeat without ever worrying about the rod breaking. I have broke a couple Loomis rods doing this.

I also own a few older Quantum Pro Contour rods, here again, not the lightest or most sensitive rods out there but good enough especially when rigging them up with braid. And talk about strong rods, I have tried to break them on the hook set and they just LOL at me and ask if that's all I got. These rods have been passed down to my kids, I don't use them anymore, but the kids are still giving them a good workout.

I am not saying you can't break a Quantum rod, but I am saying they can take one heck of a beating.

IMO people that bash on Quantum have no clue what there talking about. Maybe they got a lemon but all companies have there share of lemons. All's I know is that in the over 20 years I have own Quantum's, well lets just say I never have to worry about my equipment giving out on me. I don't care what KVD uses or anyone else for that matter. When it comes to reels its nothing but Quantum for me.

And no I am not sponsored by Quantum. My screen name is nothing but a reflection of my love of Quantum reels. I would also like to state that I am in no way bashing other brands of rods or reels. With the exception of my jig rod and my several different brands of frog rods, Loomis cant be beat. As for reels, Shimano may make a great reel today, I don't know, but as long as my Quantum's keep performing they way they have for the past 20 years or so, I have no interest in trying other brands.

• Like 1

I've used Quantums for the last 4 years starting with the older model Catalyst PTi-A spinning reels. They were good but were heavy as it was noted when compared to other brands. I have since added the Catalyst PTi-B spinning reel and also the Kinetic PTi-B spinning reel. They have both performed great over the last couple of years without any problems. Both were purchased new off ebay. I also have an older model Incyte (Blue) model that has performed well that I purchased used and not a problem from it either.  My baitcasters from Quantum include a Energy PT and a older model Accurist PT that I purchased after reading an article on TackleTour about the regular model Accurist. They have both been great reels with the Accurist seeing more water time than the Energy. My experience with Quantum reels has been very good. I don't have any Quantum rods so I can't speak on them. I also purchased one of the Quantum KVD (Black) model BPS spinning reels a couple years ago and found it not to be as smooth as it was a second choice after the Catalyst. I ended up taking it back and getting the Catalyst. I have Daiwa casting reels and a Shimano spinning reel as well but my Quantums have seen more time than any reels I have with no problems.

I just want to clarify my post above. I have very minimal experience with Quantum products, and I'm not knocking them in any way. What I meant by most post is this: KVD's needs and expectations of his gear are most likely different than mine, yours, or anybody else's. He's paid to use and endorse a product, and he has been very successful at it.

I own one of the older Tour PT KVD Signature Series casting rods (6'10" MH KVD spinnerbait model) and a 6'6" Energy PT spinning rod that I use as a loaner. The reels look pretty good, but I find the bulging sideplate on the casting reels uncomfortable and the spinning reels are generally heavier than comparable products from the other manufacturers. Those reasons have been enough to keep me from owning any of their reels. It's a shame too, because I really dig the finish on the Energy spinning reel.

I think Quantum Accurists are great reels for the money. They are very well made. I have seven Accurist PTs and have never had a problem with any of them. I have a couple of the newer Energy PTs...they are OK for the money, but I hate the backplay in the reel (My Chronarchs have this same issue and I hate it on those also). I am less impressed with some of Quantums other baitcasters, and am not a fan of their spinning reels at all. I will be buying a Quantum Smoke in the near future though...

IThe reels look pretty good, but I find the bulging sideplate on the casting reels uncomfortable and the spinning reels are generally heavier than comparable products from the other manufacturers. 

I've heard this before about the reels being heavier and agree the earlier reels were heavier than other brands. Some of the newer models are lighter but is a 1 to 2 oz difference that much of a weight difference?

I could be wrong in my thinking but I guess when you add in the total weight of a setup it could make a difference. Most of us have multiple setups and the weights vary with each setup and then adding the lure being used to that weight. I want the best feeling setup in my hand but I guess as technology goes more is always expected. I mean at one time a 5.x:1 reel was considered fast.

I'm betting that the reels kvd uses out on the water arent stock. I'm betting he has them supertuned to his likings.

Also i highly doubt alls he has is quantum on his boat. There is much marketing in bass fishing and im sure he will try and swap his companys rod and reel before they put him on tv.

No, i dont know this for sure. But i have a good feeling that it happens.

I got a PT Smoke 100 the other day. Gotta say, I was pretty impressed. Like some previous posters said, Quantum does not yet have what it takes to stand toe to toe with Daiwa, but it was pretty close. It was not quite comparable to my Alphas Ito or R-Edition, but it came pretty close in terms of casting/pitching distance, smoothness, etc. The fact that it has an all-aluminum frame including the sideplate is also very impressive, considering my Alphas use composite materials for their sideplates (Lexan, I think).  Still, the braking system is what put me off a bit. I'm just not that big a fan of centrifugal braking.

If they ever make these with Magforce V or Z, I'd definitely consider getting a few more.

IThe reels look pretty good, but I find the bulging sideplate on the casting reels uncomfortable and the spinning reels are generally heavier than comparable products from the other manufacturers.

I've heard this before about the reels being heavier and agree the earlier reels were heavier than other brands. Some of the newer models are lighter but is a 1 to 2 oz difference that much of a weight difference?

I could be wrong in my thinking but I guess when you add in the total weight of a setup it could make a difference. Most of us have multiple setups and the weights vary with each setup and then adding the lure being used to that weight. I want the best feeling setup in my hand but I guess as technology goes more is always expected. I mean at one time a 5.x:1 reel was considered fast.

Yes, it is.

The newer Quantum spinning reels @ 10.7-11.1 (30 size) are a good bit heavier than the Pfluegers I'm using @ 8.5-8.8 (35 size) at roughly the same line capacity. The difference is obvious when you pick them up. Go to your terminal tackle box and grab 2 oz worth of worm weights and tell me you don't notice them in your hand.  :D

• Super User

I've been a Daiwa and Shimano user all my life.  Currently, I have nothing but Shimanos, however, I do not consider myself a part of any posse.  I have never understood the bashing of Quantum equipment or, for that matter, any manufacturer that has obviously built a solid business with an extensive clientele.  Quantum has been successful because they have a large clientele that likes their products.  An assumption that their products are junk, in light of the evidence, doesn't appear to be a fair conclusion.   

I just want to say thanks for all the replies this is exactly what I was looking for. By the way I have used Daiwa products for about 3 years, Shimano for about 2, Abu for 1, before that I was using BPS (Pflueger) for about 5. I have been selling the stuff for only 5 years now and am only 27. I was a latecomer when it comes to being serious about my equipment. I wanted real on the water experiences with your Quantum products and that is what I got. Thanks.

By the way the subject title was to get some honest reaction. Not really to imply that they suck but that they seem to not be go to reels and rods for a lot of anglers I come into contact with in the retail world. Thanks again.

Yes, it is.

The newer Quantum spinning reels @ 10.7-11.1 (30 size) are a good bit heavier than the Pfluegers I'm using @ 8.5-8.8 (35 size) at roughly the same line capacity. The difference is obvious when you pick them up. Go to your terminal tackle box and grab 2 oz worth of worm weights and tell me you don't notice them in your hand. :D

Ok I can agree in some models the Pfluegers are lighter in comparable sizes for the Supreme and Supreme XT and up reels. The President models are not as light. I use the 20 size models but I understand what you mean.

Ok I can agree in some models the Pfluegers are lighter in comparable sizes for the Supreme and Supreme XT and up reels. The President models are not as light. I use the 20 size models but I understand what you mean.

True, the President (even the XT) and below are rather "portly" reels and that is to be expected at their respective prices, but the upper-level reels ($99+) are all much lighter than the comparable Quantums. The extra weight doesn't necessarily make them bad reels, but it is something I look at when I'm shopping for a new reel.

I have one of the President XT's in the 35 size, and it weighs in at about 11 oz.  :D  The weight of that combo isn't normally much of an issue since it's my "trunk" setup. In that role, I'm just concerned with making sure it can handle being bounced around in the back of the car/truck all the time.  ;D

• Super User

I have no doubt KVD, or any pro for that matter, fishes with stock gear from their respective sponsors.

But I'd be willing to bet they're not fishing with straight out of the box reels. I'm sure they've been stripped to the frame, lubed and the drags upgraded. With that much money on the line, a tournament is no place to find out your drag is sticky or your reel grinds.

I have one Quantum....an OLD Iron IR4.  It's got a 5:1 retrieve and I use it for cranking.  It's never missed a beat in all the years I've had it.

I've always had a perception that Quantum is a step down from the big name brands. I have barely used any though so it's probably marketing getting to me :D

I think 1-2oz can make a big difference depending on the setup. With some rods I may even prefer a slightly heavier reel, but on my lightweight combos you can definitely feel a difference with a 7 vs 9 oz reel.