bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Reel settings for pitching with a baitcaster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 GoVikes

GoVikes

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 08:20 AM

I would like to learn how to pitch baits this summer. I have a 2009 Revo STX I want to use for that. It has the magnetic brakes on it. How do I set the brakes on it and how loose do you set your tension knob. I know when I tried it last time I got one of the worst backlashes I've had. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo

I love my wife she puts up with my fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 08:26 AM

I always found that a trained thumb is the best for pitching. I keep my spool fairly loose, I do perfer a centrifugal brake ( half of the brakes set) but a magnetic should work fine. Your thumb should do most of the feathering and stopping of the spool. Keep in mind that distance will not be any where near as normal casting. With a loose spool and a trained thumb backlashes will improve and accuracy will be at an optimum.

Practice, you will get the hang of it, I hope this helps.
My biggest fear is that I finally catch a double digit Bass and will want to mount it.

Practice Catch, Photo and Release

#3 B A S S E R

B A S S E R

Bucks, Bows, and Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 08:28 AM

i usually set it down to about min and then use the dial on my SX. But its all personal preference. Just experiment and figure out what works best.
~B A S S E R~

#4 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,048 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 08:45 AM

For pitching, I use my thumb.  I leave my brakes set fairly high on my Daiwas, 6 or 7.  The spool tension is wide open.  The key is practice.  The more you do it, the better you get.  Every spring is mess, the first few weeks, then it comes back to me.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 Senkoman12

Senkoman12

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 03:53 PM

my brakes on my reels for pitching are around 5-6. the spool tension is the key. keep ikt nice and loose. just practice
Good Ol Boys Jr Bass CLub

#6 fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

outdoors all day everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 04:57 PM

is just started pitching too, i seemed to pic it up quickly. i set my breaks about in the middle with my tension knob fairly loose, i think its so cool how i can make my jig/plastic hit the water with no splash at all!  :)

#7 SoFlaBassAddict

SoFlaBassAddict

Why work when you can fish?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 05:58 PM

I generally keep my spools all very loose no mater what.  Just tight enough to stop the spool from wobbling side to side when you loosen the cast control a bit too much.  As far as the brakes go, I usually set between two to four pins.  Like everybody else mentioned, you need to learn how to thumb the spool to get a good pitch.
Eric
------------------------
Personal Bests:

Largemouth: 10.73 lbs   (Everglades - Holiday Park)
Peacock:  6.36 lbs   (Residential Lake - Southwest Broward)

#8 BassThumb

BassThumb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 10:35 PM

I would start with zero spool tension and set the mag brakes at about 1/3, and try that.  I've found that when I'm backlashing while pitching, it's usually because I'm throwing too hard and not letting the rod and the pendulum swing do the work for me.

#9 Catt

Catt

Drop the rod, reel the slack, & set the hook!

• Members
  • 14,362 posts

Posted March 19 2011 - 05:20 AM

I believed the same thing about loose setting & an educated thumb until I watched this video by Denny Brauer which made me rethink it all.

http://sports.espn.g...ngtips/bmu/live
Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

#10 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted March 19 2011 - 11:40 AM

I believed the same thing about loose setting & an educated thumb until I watched this video by Denny Brauer which made me rethink it all.

I watched that video a few weeks ago. The whole hour video is pretty good. The key tips on pitching start at 24:30.
Just fish...

#11 Cavfirst

Cavfirst

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted March 28 2011 - 09:53 PM

THE THUMB has to be educated but reel setup is a must I usually set my spool tension to just were the spool doesnt move left and right and the brakes alittle tighter. DONT SCIMP on a Reel for this technique spend alittle extra and get a good on with a good brake system I see you've taken care of that already then watch KVD's video pitching to heavy Hitters after that back yard practice practice practice this is were the ThUMB goes to school, anyways works for me hope it helps.

#12 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted March 28 2011 - 11:45 PM

Wow, Catt.  Thanks for posting that, hadn't seen it.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#13 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • 13,833 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 04:02 AM

Denny's book, Jig Fishing Secrets, has two outstanding chapters on Flipping and Pitching.

Denny's DVD, Jig Secrets to Hugh Catches! "Advanced Flipping, Pitching and Jigging" is also excellent.

VanDam says to loosen your baitcater's drag and set all of the magnets in the "on" postion.

I usually use a spinning rig for flipping and pitching and it works fine in Virginia waters.  :)
Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

#14 Mr SwimJig

Mr SwimJig

Dink

• Floater
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 07:51 AM

Nice info guys, this should help me tremendously.

SJ

#15 FishinDaddy

FishinDaddy

TR 20 X2

• Pro Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 06:51 PM

Spool loose and brakes set to max to start with until you get your thumb trained. :)

Lee Harrelson- Lakeland, Fl

Simple questions often have very complex answers!