bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Hyco lake NC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 IMPY03

IMPY03

Fish Early...Fish Hard...FISH BIG!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 05:55 AM

Anyone fish at Hyco Lake in NC? I have never been on this lake but I have fished a lake close by(sister lake?) called Mayo a few times in the past with my gramps and would like to find out a few things about Hyco. I know there is a power plant on it and would like to know about how early in the winter does the water start warming up for spawn? My grandfather sais he doesn't really know how to fish this lake due to its relatively flat and slick bottem so any advice is appreciated! :)
Holding me back becuase I'm striving to be...better than you - Metallica

#2 frogtog

frogtog

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 08:51 PM

I fished it for five days last year and was very impressed. We had the NBC classic up there. It was like 19 degrees and the water temp was 67. The guys that won the tournament had 10 fish that weighed around 52 pounds for two days. there was some kind of permit you had to purchase to fish and it was like $45 bucks. I have thought about going back this winter and giving it another try. I was there the first week of February last year. Everything I caught was to the left of the boat ramp in the colder water. We were fishing worms ( Green Pumpkin ) in 8' of water off the docks.
Fishing Eastern NC Rivers and Lakes. Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#3 Bad to da Bass

Bad to da Bass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have never fished it before but my cousin has fished it like 15 times over the past five years.  Since it is a power plant lake the tempurature barely if ever drops below 55 degrees.  I would think that early March and early April would sound like good times the fish would be spawning.  Like I said before though never have fished it just heard from my cousin.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

#4 IMPY03

IMPY03

Fish Early...Fish Hard...FISH BIG!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted January 15 2009 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the replys fellas, I guess there isn't really anything to do then but try it out. Hopefully I can talk my gramps into going sometime in february or beginning of march, the weather outside still needs to warm up a bit before my gramps will want to go.
Holding me back becuase I'm striving to be...better than you - Metallica