Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Roberts

Pam Martin-Wells

16 posts in this topic

Jeff Kriet:

"I lost $100," he said when informed that Pam Martin-Wells had made the cut to fish on Sunday.

"I don't mean that disrespectfully," he added quickly.

Wow, pretty bold to be saying that in an interview.

Yeah, I can actually understand the underlying sentiment. But, that was a very disrespectful statement, in public and supposedly representing the sport, the league, and sponsors. OUCH! I can see why it's in the interests of marketers to encourage women's participation.

I asked my wife's comments about Kriet's wager and her first comment was, "Why does there have to be a separate women's tour?"

So I wonder, is it interest? (That would be my wife's handicap) Lack of competitive urge? (Doubtful, looking at the rise of other women's sports). Physical ability? (Doubtful, in a sport considered by most pros to be a mental game). Or is it social comfort? Is this why women don't join, and prosper, in the men's venues? Seeing Martin-Wells fish, she does look like she's up to the task.

Comments?

I think it's great. She had a terrific showing and finished ahead of such notables as Skeet Reese, Alton Jones, Kevin Short to name a few. I don't think there needs to be a separate tour(although it was and still would be nice) and think the women would do well. I don't know how "welcome" they would be made to feel by other anglers. IMO, as long as they had the same restrictions regarding qualifications, they should be allowed on tour.

Good for her! I was very pleased to see her finish in the top 25.

Like she says: the fish don't know who is on the other end of the line. 

I probably would have made the same bet.  :-X

I probably would have made the same bet. :-X

....and you probably would've said it during an interview too  :)

I probably would have made the same bet. :-X

....and you probably would've said it during an interview too :)

You know me far too well.   

And thats why he lost cause that little remark.....What comes around goes around....

He lost because KVD caught five more pounds of bass than he did.  Not because of some comment he made.

[movedhere] Tournament Talk [move by] five.bass.limit.

Well boys......go ahead and make your bets, on whatever you choose to bet on. Lose what you can afford and gain whatever you are fortunate enough to win.

The fact remains, some women (just like some men)will, can and do fish. Some are more successful than others. Some egos will get stepped on. Some dreams will come true. Ladies are here to stay. :o

I've fished tournaments for 17 yrs. Ladies tournaments, couples tournaments, team tournaments. Why? I fish because I ENJOY it! I fish where I want, when I want and with whom I want. Why? Because it's what makes me happy. Why else be out there???? :)

Reading and listening to some of the male comments makes me so proud to have the support of my husband. :-* He knows that females can fish and do very well at it.

Just wondering why was this moved to the Ladies.....seems like many men are interested in this topic????

Way to go Pam!!!!!

Hi Deb,

It was moved here just for clarification, it would have been moved to the tournament section if we did not have the women's forum. The men are more than happy to participate if they want.

I agree with you 100% and I feel Pam did a wonderful job just doing what she does best “fish”. The lady is a class act and we wish all the ladies nothing but the best. Let's keep it going.

Keri :)

IMO Pam just went out and did her job....and proved that she deserved to be there, with the rest of the top anglers in the world.....I know Pam and she is a class act, a cool head and and intense competitor. This is exactly what our sport needs more of.....

Big O

www.ragetail.com    

That wasnt the only dumb thing Kreit said. "I'm gonna get him." "I'm gonna win, I know it." "Its about time I got me one of them wins."  Counted his chickens before he hatched.

I just wished they showed more (any) of Pam fishing, instead of only showing 3-5 anglers for the entire coverage.

That wasnt the only dumb thing Kreit said. "I'm gonna get him." "I'm gonna win, I know it." "Its about time I got me one of them wins." Counted his chickens before he hatched.

I just wished they showed more (any) of Pam fishing, instead of only showing 3-5 anglers for the entire coverage.

If you don't have the attitude that you're going to win, why even bother competing?

I know I suck, but I go into every tournament thinking I can win.  Only takes five good bites.