bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

does bass taste good?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#16 bucky

bucky

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted May 26 2005 - 11:03 PM

I release the fish I catch. I don't like cleaning fish of any kind so just go to a resturant when I want fish for dinner. I must admitt, however, I have had bass in the past. Back before limits were put on size and numbers I would bring some bass home. The smaller bass (under 2 lbs) are delicious when fried or grilled. The larger bass are good,but don't have the texture and taste that the smaller ones does. I do think "catch and release" is the way to go now.
I ain't as good as I once was, but am as good once as I ever was. Bucky

#17 Chris

Chris

Never quit till the end!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted May 26 2005 - 11:39 PM

I catch and keep bass once a year (maybe one or two a year). They taste great! I try to keep fish out of a clean clear body of water.

#18 mac7373

mac7373

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 12:31 AM

All of the bass I have ever had tastes really good. My dad knows how to cook it just right. I have seen people catch 7-lb.+ largemouth's and say "I can't wait to get it home and eat it." I actually saw a guy when I was camping several years ago catch a 10-lb. female that was just fat as hell with eggs and he cleaned it and ate it and later said it was the worst fish he had ever had? go figure? I was always told that the smaller ones in the 1-3 lb. range are the best because the older ones start to get grainy and don't taste as good. I personally have not eaten any bass in over 12 years...about the time I started becoming active in Bass Clubs and fishing tournaments I just felt it was more important to catch and release.

#19 Marty

Marty

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 12:42 AM

roadwarrior is like the smartest guy i know, is there any limit to how much you should eat, my lake seems clean, how do u get rid of mercury or where does it come from

I'm dumb, but let me try to answer anyways. Your state, which happens to be my state, advises to eat no more than one meal (1/2 pound) per week from any freshwaters in the state. They also have even more restrictive advice for certain bodies of water. Just look under "Health Advisory" in the regulations booklet or on the web site.
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in 14 days I lost two weeks---Joe E. Lewis

#20 Flatfish

Flatfish

You learn more Listening than you do Talking.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 09:48 AM

I have been told that larger fish 3lb and larger seem to store the toxins in their body whereas  the smaller ones don't have that problem. That is not a problem for me because I very seldom catch anything over 3 lb, maybe I need to change lakes.As far as eating fish, we love it , try marinating fillet's in Italian Dressing for a couple of hours and put them on the grill, be ready for a suprising difference.
Ks.

#21 DePoy79

DePoy79

Land of The Free and Home of The Brave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 10:20 AM

i dont eat alot of bass, but when i do, only small ones, the bigger bass seem to have a more gamey taste to them

#22 SENKOSAM

SENKOSAM

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 10:32 AM

Mercury cannot be cut out of the fat layer or near the lateral line like it can dioxins or other toxins.
Sullivan C. and waters in the Adirondacks have a new advisory warning against pregnant women eating any bass from those waters and limits the quantity anyone else can eat.

Warm, algae loaded water and many of our small polluted rivers don't offer good testing fish and no matter what you soak them in, they taste like the crap that was in the water! Even Hudson R. fish taste like s*** or the smelt they feed on. :(

A few gin-clear waters have yielded the best bass I've ever tasted, but I'm not familiar with many that are clear and clean. Even the reservoirs might not have decent water for good eating fish. Though SBR is off limits until the dam is fixed, the heavy algae and resulting ph of 8, mean the fish are constantly soaking a yukky bath of fertilizers, cow crap and other runoff.

White L. and L. Superior State Park might be your best waters. I don't know about Yankee or Louise Marie.

My favorite recipe is fast-frying boneless fillets in clarified butter and using a bit of lemon pepper in the cornmeal batter.

#23 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 10:54 AM

I have been told that larger fish 3lb and larger seem to store the toxins in their body whereas the smaller ones don't have that problem.

My Uncle is a veterinarian and an outdoor nut and I've heard him make that statement about redfish. Apparnetly the older one's are infested with stuff. It's probably true with bass too.

#24 LONGEARS

LONGEARS

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted May 27 2005 - 03:24 PM

If I badly hook a bass I keep enough for a meal.After filleting they are soaked in a salt water solution than cooked as RW wrote except we roll them in crushed soda crackers.A properly cooked bass will flake nicely with a fork.Just love this with fresh homemade bread. ;)
Dogs are people too