fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Big Bass Zone Book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 BD

BD

Fishermen don't yield to the weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 03:00 PM

Has anyone else read this book? I read Murphy's book, and it helped alot, so I got BBZ as a gift. I am only in page 130 of the book, but to me, so far there is nothing technique wise I gaining. I agree on some of his points, etc.
Does the book get better?

#2 FutureClassicChamp

FutureClassicChamp

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 03:27 PM

I havent read it, but i think thats the name of the book that Gary Klein, when he was here for bassmaster u, said was the best book on the market.

#3 BD

BD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 03:44 PM

Well so far I am gaining from it, big bass do what they want, forget all you know about regular fishing, buy more expensive saltwater rigs, because normal baitcasters won't work, nor heavy action rods, etc
I sure hope this book gets better....

#4 earthworm77

earthworm77

Florida 10lber's Club

• BassResource.com Writer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 04:06 PM

My friends, the book is not about learning a technique that will allow you to catch more bass. Instead it is about changing your whole mindset and approach to place yourself in position to catch larger bass. The reason 99% of all bass fisherman do not catch large fish with any consistency is because everything they read or watch on TV is tailored to tournament angling which is a catch'em as fast as you can type of fishing. This book is all about breaking the mold and approaching from a totally different angle. IMO, it is one of the best bass fishing books I've ever read. Then again I've subscribed to these philosophies long before I read the book.

#5 dodgeguy

dodgeguy

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 04:20 PM

e.w.,i think most people won't change from tourney style fishing.big bass fishing takes a mindset where you don't get discouraged because you're not catching one after another.like you said it's totally different.bites are fewer and furthur between.most fishermen can't accept that.
chrysler master tech,avid fisherman and i bleed red,white and blue!!!!We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

#6 Triton_Mike

Triton_Mike

Spotzilla Hunter/Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 04:22 PM

I agree with earthworm 10000%.  He nailed it.  There is nothing new about techniques that will land you bigger fish.  It's all about mindset and learning about the habits of bigger bass vs smaller bass.  I also agree it was a very good book.  

T Mike

#7 BD

BD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted February 17 2006 - 06:19 PM

I guess I am talking about how he swims/fishes a swimbait for example. Or hey big fish usually hang on breaks on points, etc. He drew drawings but asks the reader, which is best to start at? I could have shown this spot would be for "x" reason, here is how to 'read' topo maps, etc.
Some people don't know this for example.
These are just examples I can think of right now. I will read the entire book and then reply again.

#8 earthworm77

earthworm77

Florida 10lber's Club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 09:23 AM

Dodge, you've read some of the stuff I wrote and you've sat in on a few of the lectures, this book is scarily similar to what I've been preaching for years regarding targetting larger NY fish. I've been on point about this mindset and if anyone has the discipline to follow it, they should catch bigger fish with more consistency. You are absolutely correct that most fisherman simply do not have the patience to stick with the mindset that they may go fishless or biteless for weeks on end.

BD, locating bass is pretty much based on seasonal patterns for the most part. The thing about the book is that there is huge emphasis that larger bass run to the beat of their own drum. While I agree with this, they are not as unpredictable as the book leads you to believe, they can be patterned if you are observant enough. Of course, these patterns may not be as general as smaller fish, they may be water specific. You may have bodies of water only a few miles apart where the larger fish do totally different things at the same time of the year. Obviously this is where knowing your water comes into play.

#9 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,289 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 12:52 PM

What surprises me is that fisherman that don't specifically target big bass still catch one occasionally. I suppose if they put in enough time fishing and cover a lot of water, they might be at the right spot at exactly the right time. I guess that's why it's called the "fish of a lifetime".

In addition to what Murphy, earthworm77, Triton_Mike and dodgeguy have said and written, I think that in order to consistantly catch big fish you must also go out of your way to avoid placing yourself in situations where you catch too many smaller fish. Sometimes you will find a place or a pattern on a body of water where the bite is on and honestly, who moves away from that kind of action? When catching bass gets easy, we sometimes lose focus on our objective. If your goal or your obsession is big bass, you have to fish for them all of the time.

F+L+P= Success.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#10 earthworm77

earthworm77

Florida 10lber's Club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 04:07 PM

The problem is that everything you read or watch is geared to catching smaller fish. Years ago I started to change my mindset and target larger fish exclusively. If you can commit to it, you can catch them consistently....maybe not right away but it will happen. K- every dog can have 1 day, so any angler can catch a good fish at least once. Consistency is the key to doing it regularly.

#11 Maineiac

Maineiac

I fish therefore I am......Broke most of the time.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 06:13 PM

RW lets take your concept even one more step. I would be willing to bet the majority of state record fish game by chance. And that most of these fish were not even caught by what we would probably refer to as serious fishermen. Now as more folks get serious about chasing big fish that could change but it will take time.

All of you are right about the mind set thing. I still find I can not do the big fish or bust thing to the exclusion of every thing else the way I should. I still chase a number of tourneys and that kind of makes things confusing at times. I think one of the more interesting things for me though has been trying to incorporate more big fish techniques into my tourney fishing. It does indeed take a different mindset but on the right water at the right time it is simply productive. I only fish team tourneys these days and I have found not every partner wants to take the gamble doing this can present. So I'm down to a couple guys that are willing to put in the effort to learn something new and then try and use it in tourneys. But we are having a great time and the winter has flown by to this point as we have tried to continue our learning process.

#12 Redtail

Redtail

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:00 AM

I guess because I am newer to fishing, I look at it a bit differently.  I catch a lot of fish between 2 and 5 lbs (obviously more 2 & 3's).  When I have a 2lber on, my heart still races and I feel like a kid (which I am far removed from) and I never get sick or bored to catch this size fish.  We usually get several almost ever time out.  To just fish for monsters and possibly not catch anything for weeks at a time would defeat the whole purpose for me.  I love to be in my boat with my buddy and just have a good time.  I'll leave the monsters to those with more patience and still have the thrill of a lifetime catching those 2 to 5 lbers.  Obviously this is just my opinion and the best of luck to those who fish for Moby Dick!

#13 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,289 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:44 AM

Redtail,

My comments were not directed at fishing for the World Record largemouth, but "big" bass in general. That means 5 lb + to me, not 20 lbs. I target big bass, but still catch lots of fish and they are not all 5+. My point is this: In order to consistantly catch bigger bass, whatever that means to you, it is necessary to fish lures/ bait in areas where they are most likely to live. That includes fishing water that holds big bass, heavy cover and deep structure or near deep water. "Deep" is relative to the general depth of a given body of water.

The most important factors for me have been fishing larger lures and focusing on structure, not cover. I know that plenty of fishermen, including several on this forum, catch big bass on small jigs, concentrate on grasslines and have caught their biggest bass in low light. There are many ways to skin a cat. All but one of my biggest bass have been caught between 10:00AM and 2:00 PM, all but two on a 6" Senko and every one in deep or very near deep water relating to structure.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#14 Guest_avid_*

Guest_avid_*
  • Guests

Posted February 20 2006 - 09:21 AM

What surprises me is that fisherman that don't specifically target big bass still catch one occasionally. I suppose if they put in enough time fishing and cover a lot of water, they might be at the right spot at exactly the right time. I guess that's why it's called the "fish of a lifetime".

In addition to what Murphy, earthworm77, Triton_Mike and dodgeguy have said and written, I think that in order to consistantly catch big fish you must also go out of your way to avoid placing yourself in situations where you catch too many smaller fish. Sometimes you will find a place or a pattern on a body of water where the bite is on and honestly, who moves away from that kind of action? When catching bass gets easy, we sometimes lose focus on our objective. If your goal or your obsession is big bass, you have to fish for them all of the time.

F+L+P= Success.

This is sooooooooooooooo true.  I have made a number of posts about really wanting to improve my pb, yet last evening I found a big school of crappie and so put on the smaller baits and had a ball.  It's alot easier to "talk the talk" then it is to "walk the walk"  

#15 Guest_avid_*

Guest_avid_*
  • Guests

Posted February 20 2006 - 09:28 AM

I tried to buy a copy of the big bass zone at borders for cruise reading but they didn't have it.  I did buy the book "Sowbelly"  which focuses on the guys who fish for nothing but potential world record bass.   Fascinating read.  I really adimire the dedication of these Cali world record hunters.  If there is any justice in the world, one of them will become the new world record holder.