fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Where do fish generally hang out at night?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 stealthcaster

stealthcaster

Don't spook 'em!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted May 31 2010 - 10:13 PM

I'm guessing water clarity means little, especially without moonlight. Do bass generally move to deeper water, or do they tend to stick to the banks (like most bass in my area do during the day)?  I'm referring to ponds, but I wouldn't mind hearing any info on lakes  :)

Also, on a somewhat related note, does anybody use glow in the dark colors at night? Are they worth trying, or should I stick with black/junebug?

#2 SoFlaBassAddict

SoFlaBassAddict

Why work when you can fish?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts

Posted May 31 2010 - 10:53 PM

I'm guessing water clarity means little, especially without moonlight. Do bass generally move to deeper water, or do they tend to stick to the banks (like most bass in my area do during the day)? I'm referring to ponds, but I wouldn't mind hearing any info on lakes :)

Also, on a somewhat related note, does anybody use glow in the dark colors at night? Are they worth trying, or should I stick with black/junebug?

Down here, at least on my lake, the fish get really active at night.  The water cools back off, stuff starts happening.

I've caught most of my largest fish on glow in the dark baits.  The hard part is finding quality lures that really glow, and glow for a long time.  I've had some custom poured plastics made that are just outstanding.
Eric
------------------------
Personal Bests:

Largemouth: 10.73 lbs   (Everglades - Holiday Park)
Peacock:  6.36 lbs   (Residential Lake - Southwest Broward)

#3 stealthcaster

stealthcaster

Don't spook 'em!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted May 31 2010 - 11:05 PM

I've had some custom poured plastics made that are just outstanding.

Wow, thats great. Any name brands you'd recommend?  I don't have access to custom molds or anything like that.

#4 garland7

garland7

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 07:33 PM

Bass at night, depending on the feeding times, are pretty much like bass in the day, with the exceptions of water temp., and fishing pressure. Water clarity and moon phase are always a factor. Night fishing spots can include points, flats, sandy beaches, boat docks (especially lighted ) grass or vegetation, etc.. You need to be very patient, and yes, fish shallower, and keep your concentration. Some very nice fish are caught at night durring the summer months.
garland7, alabama

#5 spotaholic

spotaholic

God, Family, Hunting and Fishing.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted June 02 2010 - 07:40 AM

I fish every Wed night in our local  tournies. I have had had lots of success. This year 2 1st's 2 2nd's and 1 3rd. been in the top 5 in all 10. I fish the same spots that I fish during the day. Humps or Bream Beds. Bait does not change very much. I will change from Green Pumpkin at times to a Junebug. I fish Ol Monsters T Rigged, Trick Worms C Rigged, Brown Jigs and Blacks Buzzbaits.

Ranger Z20

#6 stealthcaster

stealthcaster

Don't spook 'em!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted June 02 2010 - 09:20 AM

A lot of the ponds nearby are the type that have THICK trees surrounding them; so thick that it is very hard to cast near the bank.  And I can hear bass hitting bugs near the bank every few minutes usually.  Some of the strikes I've seen and heard are literally explosive.  I think the only way to get around that is to get a small boat so that I can get a better angle for my cast.

Spotaholic, I have some Ol Monsters in green pumpkin and red shad, I'll give those a try.  I recently ordered some Black 6" senkos, so I can't wait to try those out.

Garland, unfortunately there aren't a lot of points, and only some of the ponds around here are clear enough for you to even notice a bed.  I suppose I'll stick to what I do during the day which is fish the thickets structure possible, except with darker colors.  I also feel like I needed someone to tell me to be more patient haha (really, lately I've let my impatience get the best of me, time to snap out of it!).  Thanks.

#7 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted June 02 2010 - 11:46 AM

The bass in a pond or small lake tend to roam the shoreline at night and weed edges looking to nocturnal prey like frogs and crawdads. Larger reservoirs the bass have a lot of options and places to feed at night.
My advice; KISS. Keep it simple. Back double buzzer and black 7 1/2 to 10' ribbon tail Power worms, T-rigged with black 3/16 oz weight and 8mm glass bead.
Use a premium straight shank worm hook like Gamakatsu #484 or similar hook, size 3/0 or 5/0 depending on the worm diameter. Go up, on line strength, 15#+ premium mono (easier to tie knots) is good for night fishing in your type of lakes.
Sound and silhouette is important at night in off color water. Clear water is usually better at night than off color, if you have a choice.
The transition twilight period you may want to add a weedless Spro yellow head black body frog.
WRB

#8 fishfordollars

fishfordollars

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,570 posts

Posted June 02 2010 - 11:58 AM

I fish most of the same areas during the night that I fish during the day. Might move up to 12-15' depths instead of the 20-30 but it just depends on the moon and the weather. Caught a huge bag last year in 28'. They did nothing until the 2:00am hour and then the feed bag was on until an hour before daylight. Best five went over 28lbs.
Why fish Mexico when you have Lake Falcon.
Roll Tide!