bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

dirty river water

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeronimo

jeronimo

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 08:31 AM

is it worth fishing after a heavy rain when the water goes  from clear to muddy? or does it turn them off till it clears up again? i got the day off work but the water is pretty muddy after yesterdays storm.
a bad day of fishing is better that a good day at work!

#2 Crestliner2008

Crestliner2008

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 08:49 AM

Great time to fish as you will probably be fishing all alone. Everyone is afraid of muddy water for some reason. Fish slow and deep. Try an Ika or blade bait. Target the eddy edges. Good luck!
Posted Image
"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

#3 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 09:11 AM

I have never done well in muddy water. Been there, done that.
I don't fish it anymore.

:(

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#4 Davis

Davis

WNY Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 09:14 AM

is it worth fishing after a heavy rain when the water goes from clear to muddy? or does it turn them off till it clears up again? i got the day off work but the water is pretty muddy after yesterdays storm.

Depends on how "muddy" it is. The creek that I fish was cloudier yesterday (greenish brown tint to it).

I whacked them okay with a Chigger Craw with a bullet weight on the front to get it to dig into the gravel. The claws flappin wild causes quite the disturbance in the water. The fish had no trouble locating the lure in this water.

#5 basser89

basser89

Weapon of choice? Give me a spinnerbait!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 09:32 AM

I go when ever I can. A few weeks back, the Potomac was running any where from 6 to 17' high and muddy! I managed to find some smallies stacked up just out of the current which was extremely strong! Tubes and Senkos did the trick for me then!
Sean
"basser89"

#6 justfishin

justfishin

35 years of fishing for smallies and still learnin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 04:40 PM

Its funny how different regions fish. RW is my favorite guy in the smallie area in here because we seem to fish some much alike and in general have the same opinions on catching smallies except for one thing. By far the best time for smallies here is mid winter ( temps in the 38 degree range and up and muddy as heck ). I am talking big smallies, not so much numbers. Here in Western Maryland and Central PA., Dec-Jan is big fish time. I love the high, muddy, chocolate water. They are so easy to find in the eddies when the river is on a fast rise. Falling water is although, the death to the bite. Spring on the Susquehanna in central Pa is numbers time with lots of 60 and up days and 2-5lb fish. In high, muddy, cold water it is the small eddies that hold the fish. I have had some great days both guiding, as well as fun fishing in muddy water. I still have a theory that river smallies are deserving of different means and tactics per region. :)
Jet Drive---Five inches of water and hang on !!!

Maryland

Louisa May Alcott quote- "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship."

What is life?
It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across
the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator 1830

#7 MNGeorge

MNGeorge

River Smallies Rule!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hate to disagree with RW because he has been so right on about everything else I've asked hom about, but we've had some of our absolute best days when the upper Mississippi has been high and dirty.  As justfishin said, the small eddies are the ones to concentrate on.  We just keep moving and hitting everything that looks like it could hold a Smallie or two.  Jigs, single colorado blade spinnerbaits and tubes have been the most productive.  Dark colors on the jigs (black and blue) and the tubes (black neon) and chartreuse with a silver blade on the spinnerbait.
The statistics on sanity say that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

#8 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted June 11 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hey guys!

No problemo...

I was just posting my personal experience...
I have exactly no success in chocolate milk.

8-)

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#9 jeronimo

jeronimo

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 06:00 AM

thanks for the replies fellas. i went out and tried for 2 days and got nuthin. last night i could almost reach the mudline. should be a lot clearer by tonight and maybe i can cast farther than the mudline.
a bad day of fishing is better that a good day at work!

#10 crazy4bass1

crazy4bass1

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted June 15 2008 - 05:37 PM

well i fish the ohio rv
and its almost always muddy
i like to throw big brite and loud baits
Maybe a white spinnerbait
I normally use white swimbaits and 4 inch grubs
sometimes i insert a rattle if the bite is off and it usually helps me catch a few

#11 wisturkeyhunter

wisturkeyhunter

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted June 17 2008 - 12:35 AM

I don't fish much different in muddy water than when the waters normal. Only difference is if water is high in a river current tends to be stronger so adjustments need to be made. If your talking lakes I don't fish much different. Smallies love nasty weather. Waves crashing into rocky shores with deep water close can be explosive action.