fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Spinnerbait Blades At Night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Crowcommander

Crowcommander

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:43 PM

Is there a rule of thumb for Spinnerbait color of blades at night? I've just started fishing at night and with so many choices(copper,gold,black nickel,silver).It gets confusing and costly to buy all of them.Any help appreciated.Crowcommander

#2 Jigfishn10

Jigfishn10

Hawg

• Pro Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:53 PM

I personally don't think it matters other than the sound the blade makes. Conventional wisdom says colorado's in a gold finish would be the rule of thumb there, to answer your question.

For me, it doesnt matter on blade style. Crawfish roam a lot at night and I've had great success with a jig and chunk trailer....pretty silent. I'll give them anything in a dark colored skirt spinnerbait, to keep on topic. Nickel blades are great on a full moon (brighter skies) and darker colored blades on a new moon (darker skies). Pick for the moon in between. JMHO

Keep it simple to start with. Dark blades for low light conditions and bright blades for high light conditions. Streamlined blades (Willow) = less thump and vibration, while wider blades (colorado) = more thump and vibration.

"I don't know of any other bait out there that appeals more to quality fish than a jig does." ~ Denny Brauer

#3 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 07:11 PM

I personally don't think it matters other than the sound the blade makes. Conventional wisdom says colorado's in a gold finish would be the rule of thumb there, to answer your question.

For me, it doesnt matter on blade style. Crawfish roam a lot at night and I've had great success with a jig and chunk trailer....pretty silent. I'll give them anything in a dark colored skirt spinnerbait, to keep on topic. Nickel blades are great on a full moon (brighter skies) and darker colored blades on a new moon (darker skies). Pick for the moon in between. JMHO

Keep it simple to start with. Dark blades for low light conditions and bright blades for high light conditions. Streamlined blades (Willow) = less thump and vibration, while wider blades (colorado) = more thump and vibration.

I don't buy into the blade colors at night, or bait colors at night. I can count the number of fish I've caught on a "night" spinnerbait on one hand versus the many thousands I've caught on the same I use during the day.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#4 clayton86

clayton86

here fishy fishy fishy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 07:22 PM

Just throw a buzzbait at night blk to be exact u can even let sink and retrieve it dead slow so its like a super thumpy spinner. That's my go to for night fishing bass
PB- LMB 8.3
- SMB 6.1

#5 B-Dozer

B-Dozer

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 07:25 PM

Just throw a buzzbait at night blk to be exact u can even let sink and retrieve it dead slow so its like a super thumpy spinner. That's my go to for night fishing bass

I never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea :)

#6 Robert William Osler

Robert William Osler

Always Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 08:05 PM

i always get request for black blades on night spinnerbaits because a company out there said it should be black.
well i don't think they should be black as i always catch on any color blade.
just make sure to use a #5, #6 or #7 blade the bigger the better.
a very slow buzz bait you can't go wrong.

#7 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 01:02 AM

I don't think the color of the blade makes a big difference but I do have a preference towards a big single colorado blade at night to give off extra thump. In super clear or pressured waters I could see the potential for a willowleaf blade to outfish a colorado though. I've had more luck with a black or dark colored spinnerbait at night but I've also done very well with a plain white bait on dark sky nights when there is no light to sillouete a black bait.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#8 Catt

Catt

Drop the rod, reel the slack, & set the hook!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,856 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 05:25 AM

I have been night fishing for close to 40 years and despite popular beliefs bass do not morph into new creatures after the sun sets. Fish the same baits, same locations, and same techniques you would during the day. The only thing different I add to my repertoire at night is a Q-Beam!

My favorite color spinner bait at night is a ½ oz double gold willow leaf, white skirt and white trailer; this imitates shad which is the predominate prey species. Red is my #2 choice and I almost never use a Colorado blade. The reason I prefer a willow leaf over a Colorado is because I throw Stanley Wedge Spinner baits and their wedge shaped blade gives off more vibration than any Colorado blade. Another plus for the willow leaf blade is it comes through vegetation cleaner.
Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

#9 Triton21

Triton21

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 07:03 AM

Black Buzzbait is my night bait. Sometimes I make 50 casts to target. Repeated casts of a buzzbait to same area aggravate the fish into biting. This is also true during the day.
Kelley
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Fishing rod in one hand - fresh caught Bass in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"  Kelley

So. Illinois

#10 OutdoorsBen

OutdoorsBen

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 04:00 PM

Black always at night. Colorado blade and black is what I use.

#11 backwater4

backwater4

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 09:30 AM

Fish the same baits and colors as during the day. My go to baits at night are an all white buzzbait, blade and skirt and a Nichols Pulsator spinnerbait in white gold color. I do well with dark colored plastics though.

#12 lynyrdsky1

lynyrdsky1

Only as good as your knowledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:02 PM

K.I.S.S. : Keep It Simple Stupid. Black spinnerbait with a single colorado blade and hold on. I don't think you even need a trailer. Black Buzzbait would work perfectly too.
Don't decide on a fishing career to make a small fortune, just make sure you start out with a large one."