bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Biggest Fish/bass Caught On 6# Line Or Less

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 WdyCrankbait

WdyCrankbait

One more cast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hey everyone,
I was out just goofing around catching panfish on my utralight rod and reel and I was thinking about the biggest fish I have caught on ultra lights. So, I am curious to see what is your biggest fish on ultra light gear say, 6# line or less?

Fishing keeps me sane.

Bait Monkey victim 2011/2012/2014.

#2 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 09:59 AM

I caught an 11 pound Pike, and a 23 pound carp on 6lb fluorocarbon while drop shotting. While the Pike is not a giant, I felt pretty tickled to get that thing in with it's mouthfull of teeth on 6lb line.
I am not afraid to suck.

#3 WdyCrankbait

WdyCrankbait

One more cast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 10:08 AM

Wow, that is something 11# pike of 6# fluro.......great job!! I love to fight big fish on ultra-light gear.

Fishing keeps me sane.

#4 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 10:36 AM

Not ultra-light, but I was fishing a Roostertail on a 5'6" light-power spinning rod with 6lb test Stren nylon mono and got bit by a 33" channel cat. It took 17 minutes to land it. At the time, I was carrying a scale that went only to 8lbs so I don't know the weight - 16 to 20 pounds perhaps. I only have a very poor quality cell phone photo of this catch. It was a great fish fight though!

Posted Image
Just fish...

#5 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 10:54 AM

Not 6# but 10# mono caught on a freshwater spinning rod & reel. The fish was weighed as it was sold to a chef in Key West, 1975 It's a Cobia

Posted Image
There are other memorable catches on light tackle, but those pics have never been scanned.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#6 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,816 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 12:35 PM

Over 6 pounds on an ultralight with a one-inch white grup attached to a 1/64 jig head on 6 pound test at a Maryland pond.

Don't know who was more surprised, me or the big lady. :D :D :D
Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

#7 WdyCrankbait

WdyCrankbait

One more cast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hey Sam, I went out today fishing that little grub you gave me just to have some fun and catch some panfish. It did pretty well!

Fishing keeps me sane.

#8 fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

outdoors all day everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 02:55 PM

probably a 10 pounds carp on 4lb test

#9 Bassn Blvd

Bassn Blvd

KVD ain't got nothing on me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 03:33 PM

8 pound LM Bass on #4 mono.

200+ pound porpoise on #8 mono using live Spanish Makeral for bait.

41 pound Black Grouper on #25 mono (no leader) in 150+ feet of water.

#10 UWBass

UWBass

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 04:48 PM

I live on a lake in Wisconsin that produces a ton of BIG channel cats (as well as a major smallie factory) and you catch lots of big cats over 30" on a dropshot rig with 6 lb. line. I've caught a lot of big cats fishing for gills as well with slipbobbers and ultralights. Biggest caught on the DS was 35" or so (estimate to be 17 lbs or so), and the biggest on my bobber rig was a 38" behemoth that was loaded with spawn, (guessed her to be in the 23-24 lb. range). I actually caught that one with 3 lb. mono! Took a while..

Biggest fish I have ever seen landed on an ultralight was a 47", 46. 2 lb flathead catfish my buddy caught while fishing the river for walleyes this spring - 4 lb. line. That was awesome.
UW Fishing Team
Sponsors: St. Croix Rods, Tackle Warehouse, Pure Fishing, Rapala, Oakley, Fishouflage, Lethal Weapon Jigs, Get Bit Baits

#11 skunked_again

skunked_again

TacRayYAKFishHawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 05:44 PM

6 lbs floroclear.

Posted Image
BL.jpg

#12 Red

Red

I Live to Fish.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 05:50 PM

When I lived in MN I caught a 36" Muskie one light tackle and 6lb mono. It ate a 10" walleye that I was reeling in. At one point it let go, came back and when I landed it it had my little 1/8 jighead stuck right in the corner of its mouth. The poor walleye was a mess. I was fishing from the bank and by the time I finally landed it everyone else who was fishing the area had surrounded me to what the heck I was catching. It was great fun.
Waco, Tx....USA

#13 WdyCrankbait

WdyCrankbait

One more cast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 06:20 PM

All these stories remind me why I fish. Thanks for the great comments so far!

Fishing keeps me sane.

#14 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 06:50 PM

I hate catching big fish on light lines, it has a tendency to do too much damage to the fish. That said, we were fishing dink smallies on a river in WI that will go unnamed. I had about 15 fish up to about 14" and just having a blast. Cast next to a big rock mid current and my line just started peeling. ended up a 22" fish that was in excess of 7. Caught her on 4lb Seaguar spooled on a Sustain 1000 set on a Loomis SMR750-S.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#15 detroit1

detroit1

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 09:32 PM

A 1" twister on a 1/32 oz. jighead, 4# mono. Mid april, Belleville lake with my wife. Just trying to catch anything, i hook into 45+ in. musky. Got her to the boat twice, probabally about 5 minutes (felt like 15)i finally try to collar her, lifted her head out of the water- it shook, and i let go. Down it went, snapped the line, my wife took some photos when it got close to the boat, and one when i lifted her barely out of the water. (i don't use a net) I guess i really didn't catch her after all...never mind.
will fish for fun