fishing

fishing
fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Do You Use Snap-On Swivels?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 throwback

throwback

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 06:32 PM

I've noticed most anglers tie baits directly on. I grew up using swivels, but I've started tieing lures on. Do swivels really impede lure performance and scare fish?

#2 Marty

Marty

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 06:38 PM

I've noticed most anglers tie baits directly on. I grew up using swivels, but I've started tieing lures on. Do swivels really impede lure performance and scare fish?

I strongly suspect that a swivel impedes lure performance much less than many people believe.

I use swivels only when fishing something like an inline spinner. The rest of the time I use small duolock snaps.
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in 14 days I lost two weeks---Joe E. Lewis

#3 Fishmaster10

Fishmaster10

Bass fishing's my passion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 06:54 PM

I stopped using swivels not because they hindered my lure performance but because they have the tendency of coming undone once in a while, while fighting a big fish.

#4 Scorcher214

Scorcher214

Dat bass...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 07:29 PM

Ya, i just use the snaps, no swivel. Great for using cranks and spinnerbaits.

#5 KenG85

KenG85

Revo, For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 07:41 PM

I keep a snap on my crankbait rod. I think it works just perfect, but you have to remove the o-rings. I've limited myself to using only crankbaits that accept a snap directly to the baits eye. It allows me to exchange baits very quickly. Recently I found I was catching fish deflecting off rocks in varied depths. So I could keep switching cranks to make sure I was deflecting.

I've been debating starting a thread where we can share crankbait brands and models that accept a snap.
Revo for life.

#6 throwback

throwback

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 07:49 PM

So the little duolock snap thingys work? What type of bait do you NOT use a snap with? I like changing lures a lot without having to tie a knot each time.

#7 KenG85

KenG85

Revo, For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 08:41 PM

Snaps are awesome. Just use them in place of an o-ring. And don't forget to check your line from time to time. When it's damaged you must retie
I suppose you can use them for jigs and spinnerbaits but I think its just another part to get hung up. For those I prefer tie directly, plus I dont change them nearly as much as the baits with o-rings (cranks, jerks, topwater).
Revo for life.

#8 Fish Chris

Fish Chris

Fish on ! � ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 08 2011 - 11:17 PM

Any time you can use one less piece of hardware, the better.

No. I never use snaps.

Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

TUF-Line by Western Filament

#9 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevalle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,024 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 01:45 AM

I always use a duolock for my freshwater fishing and just some of the time for my saltwater, I see no reason to remove the split ring, I may even add one to my spoons that don't come with one. Use the right size duolock and replace them after a few outings. I have had only 1 duolock open up in years of using them and this was due to not replacing soon enough, this happen in saltwater.
When I forego the snap a double wrapped loopknot is the only knot I use.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#10 Bigbarge50

Bigbarge50

NOVA Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 11:30 AM

I just started using a snap and swivel again when I use a fluke..... No more line twists and helps the fall occur a little quicker

I think those are two big pluses.

Other than that, it is direct tie on, including cranks.

I do use one of those lateral perch jigs and did notice quite a bit of line twisting, so maybe will use one with that too.
NY PR- 6lbs 4 ounces
FL PR- 8lbs 2 ounces
VA PR- 3lbs 12 ounces (Wow is that Bad)

#11 1nstinct

1nstinct

I Love Bass Fishing!, Photography, and Monster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 11:45 AM

jigs/plastics-direct
cranks-snaps
spinners-snap + swivel(clamp down the snap a little and it help from opening up)
What could be better then having your Fishing Rod/Tackle and a camera and a day on the lake?

#12 SausageFingers

SausageFingers

Northeast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 11:58 AM

I used to but now I tie direct. Someone mentioned it earlier - its one less piece of hardware to worry about.

#13 Raul

Raul

Join me into the Dark Side !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,397 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 12:46 PM

Snap-swivel combo: only one type of bait I tie with it ---> In-line spinners, no matter how sphisticated and what the manufacturer claims they always twist the line.

Snaps ? yes, I do use snaps, not oftenly, actually rarely I use a snap, since I have the habit of checking and cutting my line frequently I prefer to cut and retie when I want to change lures, I´m not in such a hurry to change lures that wasting precious 30 seconds in tying a new knot is such a hassle.
"Everybody 's talkin ' 'bout the new sound, funny, but it 's still rock n 'roll to me."

#14 Fish Chris

Fish Chris

Fish on ! � ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 03:16 PM

Oh and hey, as far as changing lures go, just tie on the right lure in the first place, and you have to bother with changing it :)

I think On my last 12 hour trip, I changed lures once.... from a Hud, to a Wakebait Junior.... But I don't know why. I never catch anything on that beautiful, $75 thing ;)

Peace,
Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

TUF-Line by Western Filament

#15 KenG85

KenG85

Revo, For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted May 09 2011 - 04:51 PM

There was a lot of digression from the original question. But I think the answer is no. Snaps do not impede lure performance when used in place of an o-ring. And they definately don't scare fish away.

The only way you'll figure it out for yourself is to give it a try.
Revo for life.