bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

How Fast Do Bass Grow?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 acajun2

acajun2

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 01:54 PM

I live in a neighborhood with a 6 acre spring fed lake stocked with bass and catfish. I see a lot of fingerlings arund the banks. Assuming these are bass and that they have normal feeding supplies, how much will a bass be expected to grow in a year? If a bass is 1 lb now, now much will it grow by this time next year? Just curious.

#2 clayton86

clayton86

here fishy fishy fishy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 02:10 PM

Depends if there Fl strain I heard they grow faster plus the weather and water temp also is a factor. I know here in ny my buddys pond was stocked 6 years ago were just now getting a few in the 4+ range.
PB- LMB 8.3
- SMB 6.1

#3 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,029 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 02:40 PM

There is no hard fast rule for how fast bass grow. It depends on too many variables to predict.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#4 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,002 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 03:01 PM

In Florida the LMB can grow year around, the rate of growth is dependant on several factors; availble prey, water temperature, water quality, number of bass per acre and available shelter just to list a few.
Females bass continue to grow, males slow down after a few years; size also depends on the sex.
Genetics, you could have Florida strain LMB or northern strain LMB or intergrades. The different strains grow at different rates.
With abundant high protein prey the bass should grow about 1# per year on average the first 3-4 years; males top out around 4#, females 10 to 12 lbs, anything larger would be extremely rare in a small lake/pond, in NW Florida.
Tom

#5 Shad_Master

Shad_Master

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 03:11 PM

I figure any bass that I catch in the morning during a tournament and measures 11 7/8" is bound to be a keeper by weigh-in time :D
Fishin's easy - all you have to do is the right thing, at the right time, in the right place, in the right way

#6 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,002 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 03:22 PM

I figure any bass that I catch in the morning during a tournament and measures 11 7/8" is bound to be a keeper by weigh-in time :D

That's a s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

#7 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 18,029 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 03:29 PM

Step on their heads, LOL.

(just kidding)

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#8 Shad_Master

Shad_Master

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 10:05 AM

When ever I see a dead keeper floating on the surface I tell my partner we can take turns catching that one (LOL)
Fishin's easy - all you have to do is the right thing, at the right time, in the right place, in the right way

#9 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 18,029 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 03:35 PM

Those floaters are hard to hook in the lip, LOL.