fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Snot Grass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 PondBoss

PondBoss

Big ole Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted May 17 2011 - 11:05 PM

One of the local places I have to fish is just over run with that slimy, snotty weed crap. How do you fish it? Even fishing T-rigged plastics is no good. I'm kinda at my whits end here. The pond/lake is really good and has lots of fish in it, even some big ones, but fishing it seems to be more of a chore than it should be. Should I just not fish it, or just deal with the fact that after the initial fall I will be hauling in loads of junk on my bait?

Thanks,

Pondboss

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese :)

#2 dhami013

dhami013

Dirkman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted May 17 2011 - 11:45 PM

Well how are the weeds sitting? Are they at the bottom or just kinda drifting everywhere at unknown depths. If they're not too deep you can try running cranks through there. Shallow to medium divers.

I fished a large pond/small lake that had this problem. I used texas rigged I just jigged them so that they wouldn't touch the bottom. Also look for structure where there may be a gap in the grass. If I tossed it just outside of some structure or in those gaps I was getting into some good sized fish.

Top water is always a good choice in the evening and morning, but I mean that's basics.

Good luck to you.
"il faut d'abord durer" - Ernest Hemingway
First, one must last

#3 PondBoss

PondBoss

Big ole Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted May 17 2011 - 11:58 PM

The weeds are everywhere, all depths and is speratic at best. Don't get me wrong there are places to fish where you can come back with nothing on your bait and catch fish, but man oh man I just know there are loads of fish in all that junk. I was in my tube today and got passed by a LMB that would easily go 5 lbs, but couldn't fish for him because he just slipped into the junk and disappeared.

#4 zenyoungkoh

zenyoungkoh

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 12:02 AM

Sounds exactly like one of the pond im fishing at! I use weed less flukes. Right now the snot grass are mainly on the bottom. There are some suspending ones but for some reason that i do not know, fluke tends not to catch so much of those nasty grass. I throw weightless trigged plastic worms, craw, swimbaits too. Crankbaits or most things with trebles dont work for me because the pond i fish at is only 2-3 ft deep.
Do what you love, and love what you do. With that said, we're rigging up.

#5 RoLo

RoLo

Old Fingerling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 12:59 AM

What you're referring to is a green algae called "Spirogyra".
It's a MONSTER, and avoidance is the best solution I know.

Roger

'WHO' Is Right is Not Important.....'WHAT' Is Right is All That Matters      ( Lake Wales, Florida )

#6 PondBoss

PondBoss

Big ole Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 01:13 AM

Guess I'll try going weightless with some flukes or trick worms. Avoidance sounds like an ideal plan, except it's really close to home and my land is 30 minutes one way. That being said, I guess I'll have to tolerate it and hopefully clean up in the bare spots and cross my fingers with weightless stuff.

Thanks guys,

Pondboss ;)

#7 Jigfishn10

Jigfishn10

Hawg

• Pro Team
  • 4,000 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 05:39 AM

I fish an old reservoir that has this problem. By mid-season I put away all my jigs and weighted t-rigs. Thankfully its a great topwater res. So it's either topwater, spinnerbaits or weightless trick sticks (wacky or t-rigged).

"I don't know of any other bait out there that appeals more to quality fish than a jig does." ~ Denny Brauer

#8 NBR

NBR

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 09:14 AM

Try not to transfer that "Snot" to other lakes with your boat, live well or trailer. It is terrible stuff.

#9 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,518 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 09:23 AM

I thought Syro Grya was a jazz fusion group :lol:

Yeah, it's filamentous green algae, nasty stuff. A drop shot rig will keep your bait out of the stuff.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#10 clayton86

clayton86

here fishy fishy fishy

• Members
  • 4,966 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 11:19 AM

You could try mega strike to lube up your plastics as well to slide threw. What knot u tie can play an importance to iv noticed when fishing palomer knots where the tag end is going in line with the main line. The tag end will start a build up of that silky snot grass so I just switch knots and never use dou locks in the stuff either if you usualy do for certain set ups like I do.
PB- LMB 8.3
- SMB 6.1

#11 RoLo

RoLo

Old Fingerling

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 11:34 AM

I thought Syro Grya was a jazz fusion group :lol:

I think your right, but didn't they change their name to "Green Slime"? :D

'WHO' Is Right is Not Important.....'WHAT' Is Right is All That Matters      ( Lake Wales, Florida )

#12 PondBoss

PondBoss

Big ole Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 01:10 PM

Went back today and threw the fluke. I never had to even put my tube in the water. I caught my limit on about 20 casts. When the sun went behind the clouds and it got dark the fish stopped biting. But it made for a good outing and a quick finish. Now I have loads of time for honey do's. lol

#13 dhami013

dhami013

Dirkman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 02:20 PM

I've never tried the fluke, I have some smaller ones good for a 1/0 hook. I think I'm gunna give them a shot soon.
"il faut d'abord durer" - Ernest Hemingway
First, one must last

#14 Jigfishn10

Jigfishn10

Hawg

• Pro Team
  • 4,000 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 03:17 PM

Went back today and threw the fluke. I never had to even put my tube in the water. I caught my limit on about 20 casts. When the sun went behind the clouds and it got dark the fish stopped biting. But it made for a good outing and a quick finish. Now I have loads of time for honey do's. lol

Nice PondBoss, I glad it worked for you and it sounds like you had a great day. WTG! :)

"I don't know of any other bait out there that appeals more to quality fish than a jig does." ~ Denny Brauer

#15 Marty

Marty

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 06:26 PM

What you're referring to is a green algae called "Spirogyra".
It's a MONSTER, and avoidance is the best solution I know.

Roger

I fish a pond that has loads of Spirogyra mats and I've caught numerous good fish from the openings. Many of those fish came in buried in the crap, but it goes with the territory. However, it's probably easier with a canoe than a tube.
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in 14 days I lost two weeks---Joe E. Lewis