Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shawnmullins

How To Fish A Soft Plastic Leach

5 posts in this topic

I've been looking around but couldn't find anything fairly instructive on this on.

I grabbed two packs of leaches from Gulp to test out on the ponds here (we have a few in the water where I fish) but not really sure how to rig it up. I have 3" and also 5" so I was thinking a Texas style rig for a 5" and just threading the head for the 3" with a small weight to sink them.

I'm pretty new to fishing in general and have had some great success catching a few large mouth with a Wacky-rig and some senkos.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've been looking around but couldn't find anything fairly instructive on this on.

I grabbed two packs of leaches from Gulp to test out on the ponds here (we have a few in the water where I fish) but not really sure how to rig it up. I have 3" and also 5" so I was thinking a Texas style rig for a 5" and just threading the head for the 3" with a small weight to sink them.

I'm pretty new to fishing in general and have had some great success catching a few large mouth with a Wacky-rig and some senkos.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I use them on a dropshot.

Fish them on a 1/8 oz. jig head....slow lift & fall retrieve. Great for smallies or walleye! Especially the 5". ;)

Split shot rig and nose hook with a size 1 finnesse style drop shot hook.

Use a size 4 round split shot (without the ears). 6 to 8Lb mono or FC line works good.

Simply slowly drag the rig along the bottom and stop every 2 feet for a few seconds. This works with reapers (leaches) and 5" curl tail finesse worms.

Good luck.

Tom

PS; crimp the split shot on the line, pull the line through the shot to make a small groove, cut off the damaged line and tie on the hook using Palomar or improved clinch knot. Slide the shot up the line about 14" to 18" above the hook and lightly crimp to hold in place.

I use Gulp! leeches on a drop shot.