bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Making Mold For Jigs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jigsisme

Jigsisme

Fry

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 13 2011 - 10:54 PM

What do you recommend for copying a jig? RTV, Resin, something else? Want something thats easy and cheap, and of course needs to withstand the heat from pouring lead.

Appreciated!

#2 the crab

the crab

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 06:38 AM

I've never used RTV but it is expensive. I've used fiberglass resin with mixed results. Most probably wont agree, but for me regular automotive bondo works the best. It can be a little tricky but over all I've gotten the best results with it.

#3 Vodkaman

Vodkaman

engineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 09:04 AM

I have used a mixture of bondo type car filler and polyester resin (the filler is polyester resin based) for ballast weights. Like the crab with mixed results. The problem is that the mold softens after a few pours and becomes pliable. This itself is not a problem, in fact it only improves the clamping seal. But it does give an indication of how the mold surfaces will wear/deteriorate.

I have read on another forum that the stiffness and integrity of the mold can be improved by including steel wire mesh or similar, in the pour, Kind of like reinforcing concrete with rebar. This will not improve the wear problems of the cast faces, but will reduce the tendancy to crack. I haven't tried this method, as I now do my ballast weights a different method.

The big question is how many good pours can you get, before the degredation becomes a problem? Sorry, I do not have an answer for you. A lot depends on the detail in the casting. A simple casting, that drops out easily, is probably good for a couple of hundred, but this is a pure guess. Maybe someone can give a better estimate based on experience.

Dave

#4 Jigfishn10

Jigfishn10

Play Ball!

• Pro Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 04:19 PM

I read about making a mold from plaster and will be trying this out on a jig head that is made for stripers. I think this jig design would be awesome for a spinnerbait head. If it's good enough, I will have my brother in law duplicate it in aluminum at his machine shop. Maybe you can try it as well.

"I don't know of any other bait out there that appeals more to quality fish than a jig does." ~ Denny Brauer

#5 Jigsisme

Jigsisme

Fry

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 09:30 PM

Am going to try Durham Rock Hard Putty and a RTV Silicone. Will post when both are done and which one does best.

#6 the crab

the crab

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted June 17 2011 - 07:52 AM

Am going to try Durham Rock Hard Putty and a RTV Silicone. Will post when both are done and which one does best.

RTV will definitely work and work well. If you don't mind paying for the stuff it's hard to beat short of aluminum. If the Durhams putty you're talking about is Rock Hard Water Putty then you can forget about pouring molten lead into it....trust me.

#7 Jigsisme

Jigsisme

Fry

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 17 2011 - 07:30 PM

Which RTV Silicone to buy and where to buy it, what does the package look like (so I may recognize it)??? Went to Lowes and they looked at me like I had something growin out of my forehead!

Also, has anyone tried the "The Perfect Replica Mold" from Hilts Molds?? Looks like a great alternitive.