fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Ever Use A Bream For Bait To Catch A Big One?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 01:48 PM

A buddy of mine suggested I use bream as bait in an effort to catch some larger fish.

-Do any of you do this?

-Do you have any tips if so? ie. where to hook the bream, what size bream, etc.

Thanks! :)

#2 catch anything

catch anything

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 02:55 PM

i do sometimes i like to use a 2/0 or 3/0 through the nose. I use any where from 1in up to 5in hope this helps

#3 rboat

rboat

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 03:28 PM

It can work. Just be sure to check your states fishing regulations closely first. In many states it is illegal to use a gamefish as bait to catch another gamefish. Bream are considered gamefish so just an FYI.

#4 dude loves to fish

dude loves to fish

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 03:33 PM

yes it works but like rboat said, it is illegal to use game fish as bait.

#5 Raul

Raul

Join me into the Dark Side !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 03:59 PM

Ever Use A Bream For Bait To Catch A Big One ?

No.
"Everybody 's talkin ' 'bout the new sound, funny, but it 's still rock n 'roll to me."

#6 Packard

Packard

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 06:45 PM

You can use them in most states if there is no size limit on them. But to answer your question, no.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T

#7 grimlin

grimlin

Where there is water is where I rather be.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 11:09 PM

You can use them in most states if there is no size limit on them. But to answer your question, no.

That's not true either...Michigan has no size limit and it's illegal to do it also.
The magic lure in your tackle box is the lure you have the most confidence in.

#8 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 06:50 AM

It's state by state - probably different regs all over. It's legal here in Tennessee to use a gamefish as bait but you must legally harvest the gamefish and any creel and length limits still apply.

It was also legal in Florida when I was growing up there (probably still is). In fact, here's how my Dad introduced me to bass fishing. First, he taught me how to catch "brim" on a little cane pole (I'm about 6 years old at the time). So, he says "go catch me a brim." I catch a little brim and bring it to him. Then he says "now I'm gonna teach you how to catch a bass." He puts a hook throught the back of the brim and tosses it out under a float. He would do this when he wanted to take a break from casting artificials or sometimes he would have it as a second rod in the water. He'd use brim 'cause shiners were pretty expensive and he usually wouldn't pop for them.

Anyway, you can freeline them (hooked through mouth or tail) but in Florida it was common to hook them through the back and suspend them under a float. As for size - it depends on how big you think your bass are. As mentioned above - 1 to 5 inches is probably a pretty good range.

Do I use brim as bait now - nope - last time I did was in the mid-60s in South Florida. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer to fish with articials nowadays.
Just fish...

#9 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,827 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 07:00 AM

Yes - for catfish, only.

Never for bass. :)
Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

#10 bigbassctchr101

bigbassctchr101

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 07:05 AM

Same for me as Goose said. We used to shiner fish under a balloon in Florida and when we would run out of shiners we would catch bluegill and start using them. Usually worked just as good. I've caught several up here in Tennessee doing this too. Usually in farm ponds. You'd be very suprised how small of a bass will eat, not such a small bluegill. I've caught several 5+ on it, but i've also caught fish that may not have hit 2lbs. I usually hook them in the back side on either side of the dorsal fin (I used to do this alot when I would catfish with bluegill) When rockfishing I would go between the eyes or thru the lips. Bass just depends on how long I am wanting to fish. I rarely do it anymore, because I fish so many tournaments now.
Justin Crisp
Fishing For Charities TN Pro Staff Rep www.fishingforcharities.net/

#11 catch anything

catch anything

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 07:55 AM

last time i used them i was trying to catch a turtle out of the pond i fish at. and ended up catching a 3lb bass

#12 Packard

Packard

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 08:55 AM

That's not true either...Michigan has no size limit and it's illegal to do it also.

Your wrong, you can in Michigan.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T

#13 Bassn Blvd

Bassn Blvd

KVD ain't got nothing on me!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 11:31 AM

Yes, I have and Yes, I still do. Bass love bream. Bass love other bass better, but that woud definately be illegal here in Florida.

#14 hatrix

hatrix

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 05:39 PM

I use little BG or RES sometimes when I want to be lazy. I try to catch ones about maybe the width of your hand and re hook them deep and out the side of the mouth. I use to hook them in the back or tail but I think it kinda kills them faster and they loose energy quicker. You can kinda tell when its about to go down cause they try to make a mad dash for it then the float goes under and stays under. I give it like a slow 5 count before I set the hook. I have caught lots of nice cat fish that way.
<ºj))))><

#15 North Ga Hillbilly

North Ga Hillbilly

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted August 23 2011 - 09:10 PM

Folks will act like its a mortal sin to do so, but I have and don't see a thing wrong with it. I mainly do so for catfish, but a bass will jump on em from time to time.

NGaHB