bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Hair Jigs For Smallies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 ks cranker

ks cranker

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted September 01 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hey Guys - I want to look into throwing Hair Jigs (craw imitator, not Float and Fly/minnow style) specifically for smallies. Seems like there are way too many choices to make. Can someone point me in the right direction. Also, do you normally use a trailer, if so what are some to try?

I typically fish for reservoir smallies if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

#2 Fontana Finesse Man

Fontana Finesse Man

So many bass....so little time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted September 01 2011 - 10:52 AM

My favorite hair jig for smallmouth around my area are 1/4 or 1/8 oz with burnt orange head and olive or brown hair (watermelon or green pumpkin). Bear hair jigs are my preference with no trailer. Bought some BPS enticer smallmouth jigs that I am going to give a try this winter. Fish on 6 lb test and fished slow during the winter, I prefer to slowly drag rather than hop in the winter.

#3 Jig Man

Jig Man

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts

Posted September 02 2011 - 05:06 AM

Try swimming a black bucktail jig with a real #11 pork frog on it.

#4 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,831 posts

Posted September 02 2011 - 05:26 AM

NorthStar Hairy Craws: http://www.northstar...m/hairjigs.html

B)

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 Bill Porter

Bill Porter

BillyHoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 10:08 PM

Use a blue craw on a black jig........
Everyone dies but not everybody lives.... keep fishing!

#6 bobbyc

bobbyc

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted September 20 2011 - 05:29 PM

I really like very light hairjigs.

#7 NateFollmer

NateFollmer

D.A.F.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted September 22 2011 - 09:03 AM

I make my own on an 1/8 oz ball head jig. Olive, Black, Brown, Orange and Chartreuse seem to be the best colors to use. For trailers, I have found nothing works better than a baby rage craw or a Tabu whiptail worm - I cut the eye section off the whiptail worm though, that small profile really gets them going!

#8 stratosjoe

stratosjoe

MICROPTERUS DOLOMIEU FOREVER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 02:46 PM

1/8 oz up to 1/4 oz black bear hair no trailer or a u2 in black or brown. I also like to drag slowly if that does not work after giving it a good attempt (in cold water) I will hop but not over worked. Also 6lb Fluoro kinda partial to P-line or yosuri. My favorite way to fish period however i am going to start paying close attention to Mr. Hottle's reccomendation on the jerk bait

Happiness a good meal, a good cigar, a good women or a bad women depends on how much happiness you can handle!

#9 Nick

Nick

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 06:00 PM

In some reservoirs one might have to fish deeper than I do in streams so a heavier hair jig may be in order. I fish 1/8 oz. weedless wire custom pours with a dandy 2/0 Gammy hook. Preferred color is brown and I use deer, fox, and maribou somewhat sparsely tied with a Zoom Skinny Chunk trailer in green pumpkin which is the perfect match for this jig. Tough to get these trailers any more so get 'em if you can! My equipment is Shimano E7 a 6'6" medium rod with 8 lb. flouro. Presentation is quite slow and crawling along the bottom with several pauses. I have cought 100's of big stream smallies on these.

#10 backwater4

backwater4

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted October 01 2011 - 02:41 PM

1/8 round black bucktail or maribou.

#11 Crestliner2008

Crestliner2008

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 10:16 AM

The May, 2011 edition of the In'Fisherman mag has a good article entitled, "Spring Hair Days for Smallies".
Posted Image
"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

#12 paul mueller

paul mueller

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 10:44 PM

Punisher hair jigs are the best hair jigs i have ever fished. They work great on both smallies and largies, my favorite colors are camo, black/blue and black. they come with a nice gamakatsu hook and the head design comes through the rock really well. I like using a zoom super chunk jr.,a strike king 3x chunk or a reins ring craw for trailers. I fish these on a Dobyns Champion extreme DX 742 sf spinning rod with 15# power pro braid tied with a double-uni knot and a 8# gamma edge fluorocarbon leader. The braid really helps you feel light bites and get better hook sets. I have caught smallies up to 5 1/2 pds. and largies up to 6 1/2 pds. on this setup.

#13 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 01:09 AM

NorthStar Hairy Craws: http://www.northstar...m/hairjigs.html

Posted Image

What he said.

Chris sent me a couple prior to a tournament in October. I was quite glad I had them for that three days of fishing, too. Ended up by complete chance that I had any hair jigs with me at all, and that was what they wanted. I did really well that tournament, and have been fishing the Hairy Craw a LOT this fall and winter. Love em, plain and simple.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#14 Wild Bill [NY]

Wild Bill [NY]

Frog-aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 10:41 PM

I tiie jigs myself, and about 90% of the time, I am using a 1/8 ounce, all black , football headed kraft hair jig, fishing it on usually either 4 [preferrably during cold water] or 6 pound Sunline flouro line..
I don't use a trailer with them at all ; I use a trailer for my Ranger bassboat---LOL
NY DEC Dept of Fisheries Volunteer

#15 Glenn

Glenn

I love bass fishing!

• BassResource.com Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,284 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 10:44 PM

Perhaps of interest...

http://www.bassresou.../hair-jigs.html
The people that hate you, don't know you. They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us:

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.