bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Boat Prep For Winter!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 BassinNC

BassinNC

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 20 2011 - 10:48 PM

Hey guys,

I plan on fishing right through the winter, or at least until my casts start bouncing. What can I do to prepare my boat (mainly my outboard) for fishing in cold weather and cold water? I don't really want to winterize it because I'll use it pretty often, but is there anything I need to do different when its out of the water and in really cold overnights?

Thanks

#2 JIGFISHERMAN.

JIGFISHERMAN.

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted November 20 2011 - 11:13 PM

Make sure the lower unit is full of fresh oil, and has no water contamination, and other than that make sure you lower it to drain any water out through the exhaust.

About all you can do. Winterizing from that point is pretty much done. Especially since you should be using Stabil anyhow.

#3 Fishing Rhino

Fishing Rhino

I practice catch and release. You can only eat them once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 05:33 AM

Marine Stabil recommends one ounce per ten gallons of fuel, and double that for storage.

If you aren't using some type of fuel treatment you should. I use it throughout the year, even if I'm on a fishing trip and use a couple of tanks of fuel in a week. When the season is winding down, and I'm not fishing as often, I use an ounce per five gallons of fuel, as recommended by Stabil for storage.

No need to add extra when the boat may not be used for several weeks.
Regards, Tom

#4 grampa1114

grampa1114

Fishtales told here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 06:53 AM

I had the privelige of taking a fine young marine mechanic(freebie) fishing this fall and he explained that gasoline looses octane over a period of time and recommended emptying the gas tank for winter.With a fresh refill in the spring, you need not worry too much about more than the normal shot of sta-bil.

Learn well.....then Teach 

#5 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Kiss my bass!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 07:27 AM

Hey guys,

I plan on fishing right through the winter, or at least until my casts start bouncing. What can I do to prepare my boat (mainly my outboard) for fishing in cold weather and cold water? I don't really want to winterize it because I'll use it pretty often, but is there anything I need to do different when its out of the water and in really cold overnights?

Thanks

Make sure when you store your boat that your lower unit is stored in the lowest position possible as jigfisherman stated, keep a battery tender on for your batteries or remove them completly and store them in a warmer enviroment, fuel treatments are also wise as posted.

If you are going to store it for a few months you may want to think about fogging the cylinders.
Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

#6 dulouz

dulouz

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 02:38 PM

I had the privelige of taking a fine young marine mechanic(freebie) fishing this fall and he explained that gasoline looses octane over a period of time and recommended emptying the gas tank for winter.With a fresh refill in the spring, you need not worry too much about more than the normal shot of sta-bil.

How do you dispose of the gas?

#7 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,020 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 03:09 PM

Lawn mower, snowblower, weed whacker, etc. ;)

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#8 Long Mike

Long Mike

Phishing Phreak

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 08:30 PM

If it's not a large amount just pour it into the gas tank of your car/truck. It will mingle with the rest of the fuel and cause no problems.

Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you you have. Thomas Edison

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#9 dulouz

dulouz

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 10:20 PM

Lawn mower, snowblower, weed whacker, etc. ;)

So the oil mix won't do any harm to my mower? It's a John Deere riding mower.

#10 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,020 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 10:32 PM

It's a premix? 50:1 should be fine in a weed whacker.

Everything in moderation.

#11 Sfritr

Sfritr

HardWork beats Talent when Talent doesnt work hard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 08:36 AM

How do you dispose of the gas?

by waving my hands in front of my nose and opening the windows, usually...... just sayin :rolleyes: