fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Best But Cheapest Bass Boat?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ror Boy

Ror Boy

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 10:44 AM

what is a good low end fiberglass bass boat?

#2 Fishing Rhino

Fishing Rhino

I practice catch and release. You can only eat them once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,581 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 11:36 AM

Dollar for dollar, it's tough to beat a Nitro. But, I wouldn't call them cheap. By the time you rig out their Z6, you're over twenty grand. A Z7 will run the mid to upper twenties, a Z8 35 to 40 thou, plus depending on the options.

You might consider a used boat. It's a buyer's market in the current economy. A lot of boats being sold out of necessity. One person's problems can be another's opportunity.

It's your budget, your head, and your heart that should govern your decision, with the emphasis on the first two.
Regards, Tom

#3 3dees

3dees

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 12:11 PM

I agree on the Nitro, but they are not as cheap as one would think. if you add many of the options which are standard on other boats, the price becomes closer. still not as expensive as a Ranger, but you have to consider resale value also. after 35 years of glass boats ( last two were Stratos's) I went with a aluminum. I have my 19 feet with a huge front deck. 115 hp instead of 200, but still doing 50 mph. with all the upgrades It was still much cheaper than a 19' glass boat. and I could pull it with my Ford Edge. not as fast and not as pretty, but half the price of a 19' glass and I catch just as many fish from it.

#4 Fishing Rhino

Fishing Rhino

I practice catch and release. You can only eat them once.

• Members
  • 5,581 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 03:09 PM

I agree on the Nitro, but they are not as cheap as one would think. if you add many of the options which are standard on other boats, the price becomes closer. still not as expensive as a Ranger, but you have to consider resale value also. after 35 years of glass boats ( last two were Stratos's) I went with a aluminum. I have my 19 feet with a huge front deck. 115 hp instead of 200, but still doing 50 mph. with all the upgrades It was still much cheaper than a 19' glass boat. and I could pull it with my Ford Edge. not as fast and not as pretty, but half the price of a 19' glass and I catch just as many fish from it.

Catching fish is the bottom line. I was going to get an aluminum Tracker, the Pro V18 which they apparently have discontinued. But, I got a chance to buy my Z7 for a few bucks less and a lot more boat. It had a small depression in the hull which looked like someone had leaned something against the hull after it came out of the mold and was still notfully cured. It was visible if you knew it was there, but otherwise, not noticable.

So they knocked almost five grand from their regular price. With trailer brakes and a few other options, I got it for 19,300. The Tournament V18 was 19,500 and change.

I know it's not a Bass Cat, Triton, Ranger, etc. But, the fish don't know the difference. My wallet sure does.
Regards, Tom

#5 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,603 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 04:28 PM

A Z7 with a 150 is a perfectly capable boat. TONS of tournament guys are running them up here. I've ridden in a few, and they are by far the best bang for the buck if you have to buy new. Lots of nice touches, and quality is good.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#6 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • 5,155 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 06:54 AM

Like John said, a ton of new nitro's up here on the local tournament scene. But I think it's a pretty good indicater of guality that you see more old rangers that are still going strong and looking good, than any other brand. Rangers are not cheap, but I think if I ever buy a used glass boat it would be a ranger, if I were to go new.......probably a nitro.
I am not afraid to suck.

#7 BrianinMD

BrianinMD

aka "Chatterface"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 07:00 AM

Personally, I would go with a used boat, well actually I did.

But, figure out your price range and check out what is available used. Right now there is a lot of used boats for sale. I picked up a 2000 Ranger 520VX Comanche for 13,500, has a 101lb Minn Kota and Lowrance HDS-5's on the bow and console.
My fishing addiction is a cure, not a disease!

I don't fail, I succeed in finding out what doesn't work

#8 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Professional Underwear Model

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 07:34 AM

what is a good low end fiberglass bass boat?

What price range?

As you can see I am a "Nitro Freak" so you know what my answer is going to be...lol

Nitro is a cheaper boat and can give you more bang for the buck so to speak, this allows you to be able to upgrade the electronics and still come in pretty cheap BUT Ranger boats on the other hand is a leader in the field with years of first's in this that and the other along the way and have pretty much led the way and set the standards for other boat manufactures to follow.

For a lower end glasser they do very well with very little problems, just make sure you get the right engine package for the boat, do not leave yourself under powered.

Good luck with what you choose and remember saftey first!!!
Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

#9 Fish Chris

Fish Chris

Fish on ! � ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 12:04 PM

Why does it have to fiberglass ? Don't you know that sfuff has a "shelf life" :)

I'd say, get a 12ft aluminum. You can practically find somebody to give you one, so they can reclaim the space on the side of their house :)

This was "my original" little baby. I paid $600 for it. My friend has it now. It's still getting used + I can use it if ever I want too.
Posted Image

And this is my new (5 years old) baby. It really is my dream boat :)
Posted Image

Peace,
Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

TUF-Line by Western Filament

#10 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 19,603 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 12:41 PM

I fished out of a Sea Nymph just like Chris's for years. Lots of great fish brought over the rails in that boat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's my current fleet:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#11 Fish Chris

Fish Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 01:49 PM

JF, that is a sweet fleet :) I could find great uses for all of them :) But if I could choose one, I'd pick #3 :) My buddy had a tracker with that type of hull. Fast. Stable. Very nice boat.

Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

#12 JIGFISHERMAN.

JIGFISHERMAN.

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 03:24 PM

Here is the thing. IMO some of the technology available will help you catch more fish, FAR more than your boat being new.

If someone gave me the option of trading my boat for a new boat, or all the gadgets I could want, I'd take the gadgets and keep my old 17' aluminum Deep V, that I've modded myself.

Two Humminbird 898c SI's, a Powerpole or two, a Terrova with I-pilot, maybe a new 115 E-tec tiller, Hydrowave unit, and maybe a few other things I can't think of.

#13 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 19,603 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 03:34 PM

JF, that is a sweet fleet :) I could find great uses for all of them :) But if I could choose one, I'd pick #3 :) My buddy had a tracker with that type of hull. Fast. Stable. Very nice boat.

Fish

If you like your buddy's Tracker, you'd love this boat - more heavy duty, more stable, and goes faster, LOL.

#14 Way2slow

Way2slow

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 06:46 PM

If you have the Xtra funds and won't have to finance half your life away, and can still afford a couple of hundred a month for fishing, then get you a fairly new fiberglass boat, at least 18' and max hp four stroke or DFI two stroke (if you don't have all those two stroke restrictions). You will never reget it. If you do this and have to think about if you can afford it or not, or have to consider one of those "forever" finance plans, they you will be deeply regretting it within a year or two, but stuck with making payments on something that's only worth about 1/2 what you owe on it or ruin your credit and let it go.

The next step down from there is a five or six year old combo, but then you have to be very carefull and don't get too proud to have a professional or extremely knowledgeable friend check it out.

Before I got any older than that, I would start looking at 17.5' to 18' tin cans. They are going to be your cheapest alternative, all the way around, but I don't care what anyone says, they don't have the room, ride or stability while fishing a good glass boat has.

No matter what kind of boat it is, it's just a tool to help you catch fish. If you can't afford to go fishing because the tool is costing so much, then it's kinda defeating the purpose of having it. I've never owned but one boat that has caught a bass, the rest have just gotten me where I wanted to get to catch them. Some a heck of a lot more comfortable and quicker than others, but they've all done what they were intended to do. One night, back in a shallow cove, I'm not sure what happened, if I spooked it or what, but I had about a four pound bass jump in the boat. Me and my dad both almost left the boat because we didn't know what the hell was going on, it's dark, a huge splash next to the boat and then a whole lot of knocking and banging inside the boat.

#15 Fish Chris

Fish Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 10:35 PM

Kind of an interesting story about boats :)

I got my boat, motor, and trailer through a sponsorship deal, with Yamaha G3.

Now keep in mind, that is a "done deal"..... so I could say anything I wanted to about my boat, but all I can honestly say is, I love it, and I'm sure I made the right choice :)

But here's the funny part. With Yamaha G3 (and most other companies that do sponsorships) they typically do like a sponsorship review, to see if you are valuable enough to them to warrant a sponsorship.
Of course only after they have accepted you, do they start asking you what you want / need ?
So, after becoming accepted, I told them, "Yes ! I do have my eye on one specific boat > The V143T". To which my sponsor was like, "Huh ? You realize that's only a little 14 footer, with a 25 hp max, right" ? .....And that you would get the same % off of basically anything we have. Well sure I do !
But that little 14 footer is all me :) Now then, electric start, + power trim and tilt would be pretty cool ;)

Anyway, my sponsor told me that was the smallest boat they ever did a sponsorship with. Thats cool. I'd rather be in the smallest boat, holding the biggest fish, than vica versa :) LOL

Peace,
Fish

If you have the Xtra funds and won't have to finance half your life away, and can still afford a couple of hundred a month for fishing, then get you a fairly new fiberglass boat, at least 18' and max hp four stroke or DFI two stroke (if you don't have all those two stroke restrictions). You will never reget it. If you do this and have to think about if you can afford it or not, or have to consider one of those "forever" finance plans, they you will be deeply regretting it within a year or two, but stuck with making payments on something that's only worth about 1/2 what you owe on it or ruin your credit and let it go.

The next step down from there is a five or six year old combo, but then you have to be very carefull and don't get too proud to have a professional or extremely knowledgeable friend check it out.

Before I got any older than that, I would start looking at 17.5' to 18' tin cans. They are going to be your cheapest alternative, all the way around, but I don't care what anyone says, they don't have the room, ride or stability while fishing a good glass boat has.

No matter what kind of boat it is, it's just a tool to help you catch fish. If you can't afford to go fishing because the tool is costing so much, then it's kinda defeating the purpose of having it. I've never owned but one boat that has caught a bass, the rest have just gotten me where I wanted to get to catch them. Some a heck of a lot more comfortable and quicker than others, but they've all done what they were intended to do. One night, back in a shallow cove, I'm not sure what happened, if I spooked it or what, but I had about a four pound bass jump in the boat. Me and my dad both almost left the boat because we didn't know what the hell was going on, it's dark, a huge splash next to the boat and then a whole lot of knocking and banging inside the boat.

G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company