fishing

bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

How Do You Cast A Very Light Lure Far???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'm trying to use one of these...

Tiny Minnow

it's only like 3/32 oz.

My question is how do I cast it far out? I was using a 6'-6" MH rod with 10# test on a Curado 200E7. I can't get it to go out more than a few feet. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks!

#2 Glenn

Glenn

I love bass fishing!

• BassResource.com Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,048 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 08:46 AM

You're using the wrong equipment for the job. Even the most talented, most experienced person with a baitcaster couldn't throw it much farther than that with that setup.

You need to use a spinning outfit with a 6'-8" to 7' M-L action rod. I'd probably wouldn't go more than 6# test as well.
The people that hate you, don't know you. They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us:

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by clicking the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#3 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 09:04 AM

Would a Ducket 7' med-lt spinning rod work?

Can you suggest a reel for less than $100? Thanks!!!

#4 deep

deep

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 09:29 AM

Any rod that the lure can "load up" will work. The lure weight rating on the rod should also provide some sort of idea.
Posted Image

#5 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 09:31 AM

Tiny Minnow

it's only like 3/32 oz.

My question is how do I cast it far out? I was using a 6'-6" MH rod with 10# test on a Curado 200E7. I can't get it to go out more than a few feet. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks!

I've thrown those and 1/16 jigs on my main setup, I'm lucky to hit 30' max sometimes, accuracy is out the window and have many backlashes

You need a ultralight reel (not cheap at all), 6lb line, and a Med-Lite rod for better results

Tom

Getting closer.

#6 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 09:39 AM

I've thrown those and 1/16 jigs on my main setup, I'm lucky to hit 30' max sometimes, accuracy is out the window and have many backlashes

You need a ultralight reel (not cheap at all), 6lb line, and a Med-Lite rod for better results

Would a Shimano Sprirex FG 1000 work???

#7 deep

deep

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 09:46 AM

Would a Shimano Sprirex FG 1000 work???

I'm sure it would. All a spinning reel does- while casting- is let out line. I have a Sonora 2500 that has held up to two years of pretty extensive use.

You want to check the line capacity though. 1000 size is pretty much ultralight territory.
Posted Image

#8 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 11:40 AM

I'm sure it would. All a spinning reel does- while casting- is let out line. I have a Sonora 2500 that has held up to two years of pretty extensive use.

You want to check the line capacity though. 1000 size is pretty much ultralight territory.

Isn't that what I want...ultralight? I'm thinking about using 4-6 lb test.

Thanks!

#9 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 18,169 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 01:01 PM

Isn't that what I want...ultralight? I'm thinking about using 4-6 lb test.

That is typical finesse tackle. A 2500 series reel on a medium or medium light power rod.

Ultra light can mean a few things, though generally its ULTRA light, as in 1-3 lb. line.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#10 grimlin

grimlin

Where there is water is where I rather be.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 01:51 PM

I'm amazed you can even cast it on a MH rod...LOL

I use 1000-2000 type reels with a medium light rod.Spinning only.

I can't do baitcaster that light....I'll spend more time picking out backlashes than I would casting the thing.
The magic lure in your tackle box is the lure you have the most confidence in.

#11 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 01:54 PM

Tiny Minnow

it's only like 3/32 oz.

Thanks!

Conventional thinking is to use spinning outfits with lures under 3/16 oz, however with todays close tolerance reels, like the reel you have, you can go down to 6 lb mono or FC without any casting problems.
Match you 200E7 with good premium 6 lb mono and a 3 power 7' medium fast action casting rod like Lamiglas* XL-703 ($110) and you can cast 60' OK with small crank baits. Spinning outfit requires both a rod and reel; 7' 2 power like a Lamiglas XL-702S ($110) and Shimano Sadona 2500FD reel ($50)and 6 lb Trilene XL mono ($7).
Tom
* good quality USA made, life time warranty, any good rod brand with similar specs will work.

#12 NateFollmer

NateFollmer

D.A.F.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 02:17 PM

I've been using a Diawa Crossfire from Cabela's for years now... Only cost me $40 for the combo. Probably one of the best combos I have ever used. I'd say that's pretty cheap :P

#13 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 03:14 PM

I've been using a Diawa Crossfire from Cabela's for years now... Only cost me $40 for the combo. Probably one of the best combos I have ever used. I'd say that's pretty cheap :P

Well as spinning goes, there many options B)

Tom

Getting closer.

#14 Bluebasser86

Bluebasser86

60% of the time it works all the time!

• Members
  • 8,518 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 05:24 PM

I fish baits down to 1/32oz on a 6'8" M/L shimano crucial DS rod with a 1000 Shimano Symetre and 6lb test. I can cast a bait the size you are describing way further than I can set a hook effectivly with it :lol:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

#15 deep

deep

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 06:07 PM

3/32 oz is what? like a little lighter than 1/8 oz? I use a Cabela's house special ultralight rod and a cheapo walmart abu garcia reel. Works just fine for me, with a little maintenance.

Any rod that the lure can load will work. Any reel that lasts a while should work too. You're throwing a tiny crankbait, and don't need a very expensive setup (sensitivity). IMO.
Posted Image