bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

V-Bottom Vs Flat Bottom

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Poll: V-Bottom Vs Flat Bottom (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you prefer a V-Bottom or Flat Bottom Aluminum Boat?

1. V-Bottom (9 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Flat Bottom (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 07:44 AM

Right now, I am in the process of looking for a used aluminum boat to fish from. I am taking my time as I have all winter to make a decision.

I see a lot of flat bottom boats as well as V-Bottom boats.

Are there more positives with one over the other? Which is best?

I do like the flat bottom boats cause it has the flat deck on the bow of the boat. Which makes it great to fish off of. I don't beleive I have ever seen a V-Bottom boat with this feature.

I have never owned a boat so this would definitley be a first for me. Not sure if one of the above boats would be more beneficial for a first time boat owner.

Any advice??
14' Flat Bottom Jonboat with 1966 Evinrude 18HP

#2 OkobojiEagle

OkobojiEagle

An old man is quite a different gender than a young man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 09:05 AM

It would easier for us to make informed suggestions if we knew how big of boat you were interested in and the type/size of water you would be using it in.

oe

#3 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 09:11 AM

oh, my mistake.

Not sure how length would benefit anyone except for room to move around. So, I am thinking maybe 12-14' in length.
As for the waters, It will primarily be used on East Fork Lake in Batavia, Ohio. It is a 2,160 acre lake, with unlimited horsepower limits.
here is a link with more info if needed: http://www.dnr.state...32/Default.aspx

Thanks for the help....

#4 00 mod

00 mod

Dink dropping how many lbers?

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 09:25 AM

I voted v bottom because they ride better. The flat bottom will be a little more stable up front when standing on the bow deck, but the v is much better ride and I think as long as you get a wide enough boat (48" minimum) there isnt that much of a difference! There are plenty of v bottoms with casting decks up front. You just havent found the right one yet. Also check out tinboats.net a plethora of knowledge there!

Jeff

Posted Image

Posted Image
pre terrova, depth finder and motor!

PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE "SCROUNGA" CLUB

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 09:40 AM

You definately need a semi-v bottom and with that size of lake I would want at least a 17 ft x 54 inch bottom width boat.JMO
N. E. OHIO

#6 NBR

NBR

I love bass fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 10:24 AM

Flat vs V can have a lot to do with lake shape/size. If the 2000a+ has a lot of open water then I'd look at a V but if it has lots of bays, points, creek arms and more shelter then I'd consider the flat bottom. In my experience V's handle rougher water much better but flat bottoms are a more stable fishing platform. Flat bottoms can beat you to death running into the wind.

#7 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 10:54 AM

This lake is wide open in the center of it but it also has A LOT of "fingers" off the lake that lead back to shallower channels (which is where I would most likely be). The open waters are where all the speed boats play. Just like anywhere else, it does get windy in the area. (except in the channels)

#8 JIGFISHERMAN.

JIGFISHERMAN.

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 10:56 AM

IMO get a V bottom.
A lake that size can get really rough.
Also, one of the key's for me, a wide, deep V bottom boat will handle much bigger, rougher water than a mod V or flat bottom boat. At least when comparing sizes.
A really wide deep 16' boat would be safe (using common sense) on pretty big water. A 16' mod v or flat bottom is going to be confined to smaller inland lakes.

As for the deck, even when not all the way to the top, they are plenty high enough to fish from. I'm only 5'10, and I don't find any issue in working jerkbaits on that style deck. Only difference is you use a little shorter rod. Even still I use a 6'6 rod for jerkbaits.

If you are handy, score a great deal on a boat, and build/modify it yourself. Like 00 MOD said, tinboats is a pretty good place.
Here is my build going on over there. A 17' Sea Nymph...Originally a walk thru windshield boat, converting it to tiller w/65hp Evinrude.
http://www.tinboats....hp?f=21&t=16904

#9 JIGFISHERMAN.

JIGFISHERMAN.

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 11:00 AM

oh, my mistake.

Not sure how length would benefit anyone except for room to move around. So, I am thinking maybe 12-14' in length.
As for the waters, It will primarily be used on East Fork Lake in Batavia, Ohio. It is a 2,160 acre lake, with unlimited horsepower limits.

Thanks for the help....

A longer boat will be wider, and heavier making it ride better, and be more stable.

This lake is wide open in the center of it but it also has A LOT of "fingers" off the lake that lead back to shallower channels (which is where I would most likely be). The open waters are where all the speed boats play. Just like anywhere else, it does get windy in the area. (except in the channels)

Without seeing this lake, I'm guessing it will get pretty rough. My home lake is only a hair over 800 acres, and it can get really rough too.
I prefer not getting blown off the lake, no matter the conditions.

#10 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 11:10 AM

I voted v bottom because they ride better. The flat bottom will be a little more stable up front when standing on the bow deck, but the v is much better ride and I think as long as you get a wide enough boat (48" minimum) there isnt that much of a difference! There are plenty of v bottoms with casting decks up front. You just havent found the right one yet. Also check out tinboats.net a plethora of knowledge there!

Jeff

Posted Image

Posted Image
pre terrova, depth finder and motor!

I take it that's the same boat but It has different trolling motors? My boat is about like yours and I was wanting to get the hand operated motor not the foot . Did you not like the hand operated one?

I also think a V is a nicer boat but flats are cheaper.
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#11 00 mod

00 mod

• Global Moderator
  • 6,743 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 11:31 AM

Yes same boat!

I liked the hand operated trolling motor fine, but the problem was alot of times I fish seated(LAZY) and with the hand operated it sits alot higher on the deck. Also after fishing from a buddy's boat with the i-pilot/anchor lock features of the Terrova, there was no way I was ever gonna fish again without one! LOL!

PS> crankbait- the front deck on my boat is 5 foot long and over 4.5 foot wide, and the rear deck is 4 foot long and and the same width! The best thing about aluminum boats is the world is your imagination! Everything is aluminum built(no wood to rot).

Jeff

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#12 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 11:35 AM

oh, my mistake.

Thanks for the help....

If we are just talking about a 14' max Jon ? Lowe makes a 14' V NOSE flat bottom . This is what I have. It's 6' wide in the back and very stable for a small boat .

#13 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 11:43 AM

http://www.loweboats...jon/l1448mt.php

Pleas delete if this Linc is not alowed...

#14 00 mod

00 mod

• Global Moderator
  • 6,743 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 01:25 PM

The measurements we were posting are floor width which is where the stability is!

Jeff

#15 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 01:36 PM

thank you for the advice so far!!