bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Recommendations For Tn Smallmouth?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmb27

jmb27

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 06:29 PM

I am planning a trip to TN to fish for smallmouth in late March mid-April timeframe.

I am thinking of Dale Hollow, but Pickwick (or another recommendation) is fine. Looking for guide recommendations as well as other thoughts on early spring smallmouth.

#2 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,789 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 09:23 AM

Pickwick: Speedy Madewell below Pickwick Dam;
Roger Stegall below Wilson Dam and the main lake.
If you have your own boat, I might fish with you
for a day or two.

Dale Hollow: Jim Duckworth

:ok-wink:

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#3 jmb27

jmb27

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the advice--I was hoping that you would chime in. I'll look up those guides and see if their availability matches up with the first week in April.

I am still fishing a small boat here--I don't have the big boat yet to take you up on your offer. :)

Really looking forward to this trip...

#4 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • 32,789 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 10:36 AM

Speedy is my best friend and fishing partner. He is the only man
I know who has landed a 10lb smallmouth. I netted and weighed the
fish in November, 2004. The monster was caught on the Tennessee River
below Pickwick Dam.

http://www.smallmouthandstripers.com/

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 Pete-K

Pete-K

I Love Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 05:13 PM

Good luck in your search, If all fails come on to Pickwick if the time fits in with mine. Shoot we will fish a couple of days. Can't say you will catch a fish of a life time. But in that time frame above Pickwick dam, is a good time to catch a boat load in crank baits.
Or if We can get RW to fish with us and show us how to do it right, We might just get a chance at a Trophy fish.
Pete

#6 jmb27

jmb27

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 01:07 PM

Good luck in your search, If all fails come on to Pickwick if the time fits in with mine. Shoot we will fish a couple of days. Can't say you will catch a fish of a life time. But in that time frame above Pickwick dam, is a good time to catch a boat load in crank baits.
Or if We can get RW to fish with us and show us how to do it right, We might just get a chance at a Trophy fish.
Pete

Careful, I will take you up on that offer. ;) Another potential factor in the decision is the wife and kids may be coming with me, so I need to find something that is entertaining fairly close by while I fish for two days.

#7 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • 32,789 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 02:22 PM

Shiloh is incredible!

http://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm

#8 KevO

KevO

Eat. Sleep. Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 08:15 PM

I love Dale Hollow and fish there quite often. It is a tough lake to figure out though, but it should be on fire by that time of year. I recommend you get a guide if its your first time. Jim Duckworth is good, I've never fished with him though. I recommend Greg Brisendine from dusk to dawn guide service or Keith Palmeiro of Small chasers, you can learn more about them at www.smalljaw.com . I plan on going to Pickwick in search of a trophy that time of the year myself but my vote always goes to the Hollow.