bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

How To Fish A Crappie Jig?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 02:25 PM

I've always used minnows on a bobber when fishing for crappie. How do you fish with a crappie jig to catch crappie?

Do you just cast the crappie jig out and steadily reel it in like a spinnerbait, drag it across the bottom or what?

Thanks.

#2 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,176 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 02:40 PM

Pretty much, you got it. Cast them out, and count them down to where the fish are, and reel them in just fast enough to keep them at that depth. Need to speed up to trigger bites, step in weight. Usually it's the opposite though, and you go lighter for slower retrieve. Do not try with suspended smallies, it doesn't work on them either. :P

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#3 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for answering. What do you mean, "step in weight"? Thanks!

#4 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 18,176 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 02:57 PM

Sorry, step up, as in heavier.

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 QUAKEnSHAKE

QUAKEnSHAKE

OAKLEY PITBULL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 02:59 PM

You can use bobber as well with jig and let the motion of the water wiggle the jig. With bobber on also reel in 5' or so stop repeat.

QUANTUM SMOKE 7' MF
ST CROIX AVID 8' MLM
SEA EAGLE 124SMB
400016139.jpg

#6 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 03:01 PM

DO you use a bobber with using a crappie jig?

#7 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 03:01 PM

You can use bobber as well with jig and let the motion of the water wiggle the jig. With bobber on also reel in 5' or so stop repeat.

Ok...thanks!

#8 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 18,176 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 03:08 PM

Fixed bobber for depths less than the length of the rod, and slip bobber and a stop for greater depths.

#9 jmed999

jmed999

Bass Angler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 03:13 PM

Do you use a beetle spin the same way as the crappie jig?

#10 QUAKEnSHAKE

QUAKEnSHAKE

OAKLEY PITBULL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 03:29 PM

I dont. Jigs for me are verticle slight twitches up/down. Beetlespins around through brush timber structure moving.

QUANTUM SMOKE 7' MF
ST CROIX AVID 8' MLM
SEA EAGLE 124SMB
400016139.jpg

#11 JigMe

JigMe

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 09:39 AM

I dont. Jigs for me are verticle slight twitches up/down. Beetlespins around through brush timber structure moving.

Agreed. I got a BPS crappie Jig Kit for 20 bucks, and I just cast them out near the timbers then twitches them a bit.

#12 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • 18,176 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 09:44 AM

You guys are missing out NOT swimming a micro jig. It's a near motionless retireve, sort of like using hair jigs for smallies. Back when NY had a closed bass season, I caught a ton of crappie and gills this way. It was a lot easier to stay on them than any vertical presentation.

#13 JigMe

JigMe

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 11:38 AM

You guys are missing out NOT swimming a micro jig. It's a near motionless retireve, sort of like using hair jigs for smallies. Back when NY had a closed bass season, I caught a ton of crappie and gills this way. It was a lot easier to stay on them than any vertical presentation.

I am going to give this a try, and just retireve it slowly.

#14 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • 10,213 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 11:55 AM

Crappie jigs aren't just for crappies, LMB and peacocks love them, not to mention lookdowns, jacks, and runners in sw. I soft jig them and swim them. I use light bucktails and tied jig heads with about 3-4" streamer, which work excellent jigging or swimming( steady retrieve with a slight pulsating motion).

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#15 zip pow

zip pow

I've fished almost everyday of my life and wasted the rest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 12:15 PM

I cast and count slow retrieve so slow if you can slow down your reeling to fast I use 1/32 single jigs if there real deep I'll tie on two jigs 18" apart it works for me
" CHUNK AND WINED"