fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

A-Rigs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 senko_77

senko_77

Professional Model/Fisherman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've been tinkering around with the A-rig the last month or so with the goal to build one specifically for a M - MH rod and here is what I have come up with so far.....

Posted Image

Posted ImageBaits: 4 D.O.A. 3.5" swimshads, all rigged on 1/8oz darter head and a 4" Berkley Ripple Shad on a belly weight hook w/ spring lock for the center. GF holding this one btw : ) I usually don't paint my nails for pics. Haha.

Posted Image
Baits: 4 Zoom swimming fluke, 3 rigged on 1/16oz ball head jigs and 1 on 1/8oz ball head jig, and the center is 3" Basstrix bait fry on a 1/8oz ball head jig.

Making this thing has been a BLAST. The head is hard plastic, so it's super light. I'm thinking of adding a hook to the head and putting a small spinnerbait blade out the back....kinda making it like a Little George. I'm convinced this rig gets a ton of bites on the head section, so yeah, think making a hooked head version would work.

Also, keep checking back because I'm in the process of perfecting my titanium model and it's coming out AWESOME! The thing wont break.

PLease, leave me some comments on it. I wanna see how I can tweak it to make it better.

-Ryan

#2 whittler1

whittler1

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:28 AM

They look good to me Ryan. These rigs are so versatile to make and use that just about any thing goes when building/fishing them. I my state you can only use 2 hooks or 1 artifical bait per line, kind of limits its use.
have been using 2 plastics with hooks and either 2 or 3 attached with hitch hikers. The titanium rigs should be fantastic, can't wait to see it.

Was a litle worried about the painted nails, but her hairy arms in the third pic is really scary.Hope you have a good tournament season Ryan.

#3 senko_77

senko_77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:58 AM

Was a litle worried about the painted nails, but her hairy arms in the third pic is really scary.

:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

#4 Wayne P.

Wayne P.

I'm wacky about wacky !!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,991 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 01:38 PM

Storm baits has some good ones for A-rigs also if you need the extra weight for a faster retrieve or deeper water. These are 3" and 4" Wildeye Curl Tail Minnows:

Posted Image

#5 senko_77

senko_77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 03:01 PM

Wayne, that thing looks slick. Never had too much success on Storm baits, but it sounds like I need to try them out again!!

#6 Sam

Sam

I Love Bass Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,633 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ryan, your rig looks beautiful.

Please give it a test run and let us know how it performs, in addition to bringing us up to date on the jig heads used, rod length and power and line used.

I threw my A-Rig with some Banjo Minnows for fun on a 7" MH rod with 30# braid.

Never casted the rig. I had to "lob" it.

Take care and be sure to let us know when you get engaged!!!
Ignorance can be corrected. Stupid lasts a lifetime.

#7 jbass

jbass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 05:25 PM

It would be like casting an open umbrella without the fabric. lol
Show me the water, I will fish.

#8 Wayne P.

Wayne P.

I'm wacky about wacky !!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,991 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 05:42 PM

If you try to cast it like a "normal" presentation, it will foul on your line. You have to use a motion somewhat like casting a Carolina rig. You want the lures pulling your line out with the rig head towards you.

#9 senko_77

senko_77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 06:40 PM

If you try to cast it like a "normal" presentation, it will foul on your line. You have to use a motion somewhat like casting a Carolina rig. You want the lures pulling your line out with the rig head towards you.

Wayne, I haven't had that problem with my rig I made. Maybe difference of wires between each version could be adding to that? I've only been throwing it a couple weeks, and so far, no tangles. Crossing my fingers that I can keep up that luck!

Sam, I've already been throwing them a few weeks now. They run perfect...hopefully I can keep it that way!

#10 Scorcher214

Scorcher214

Dat bass...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 07:30 PM

Can't wait spring so some of us northern guys can try out these rigs up here. I bought one and am soooo excited to use it.

#11 Marc David

Marc David

-Marc David (LC Addict)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 11:22 AM

I was getting concerned at first when I saw the second picture Lol.

The rig looks real good. How does the action of the D.O.A. swimbaits compare to the Zoom Swimming Flukes? I plan on using a rig shortly and was leaning toward the Swimming Flukes..

#12 ABLE2DISABLE1

ABLE2DISABLE1

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 08:04 PM

I hope you doen't mind me jumping in here,but had to show off the possiabilitie's of this wounderful rigg.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 157.jpg

Going to the Lake in my LEAKY Jon Boat. Triing to catch a fish while staying a float.Of course we are Fishing in our wholes.Then noticed, Bobbers & Corks A-Float.While our Life JACKETS our on the front SEAT.WHAT-A JERK.Know Im in water up to my Nose,While thinking,I Should have FIXED them WHOLES.

#13 senko_77

senko_77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 08:49 PM

I hope you doen't mind me jumping in here,but had to show off the possiabilitie's of this wounderful rigg.

Able, now THAT'S an A-rig!! 10 baits! I like it. Thanks for posting the pic.

Are those the Black Dog Fake Fish on there? How is there swimming action? Always wanted to check em out....

#14 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,326 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 08:50 PM

Now that's a rig!

I really can't imagine casting the thing, but trolling would be awesome!

:respect-059: :respect-059:

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#15 jbass

jbass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 10:21 PM

That is a whole school of shiners!!
Show me the water, I will fish.