BASS-N-TATERS

To All My Memphis Pond Hoppers!

869 posts in this topic

If I ever needed a sign to take a break from Grove again, I think this would be it. Oh, and losing two lures to hidden discarded Christmas tr--err structure. AlhzqM0.jpg

1 person likes this

The weather sucked today for obvious reasons so i ran over to the bass pro on 40 and sycamore view.  Found lucky craft square bill cranks for 6.99.  I got two but this is half price and they have some good colors left.  Checked and the SK KVD's i normally get are the same price.  

Great post!

I guess I'm just going to have to look into a trout fishing rig and elbow my way into Johnson now. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I've been, wanting to just hit a quick stop after work only to see a gang of people out there. A pond that I've had moderate success in, but I also appreciate my solitude--so I'm stuck playing around in Halle(which I truly cannot stand) or Grove until people get bored with Johnson. I did notice a day or two ago that there's a pond in the back by the boardwalk shielded by trees(not the one with the fountains), if the weather is okay tomorrow I'll have to check it out. 

And I know it's really not my place to gripe about a public pond and people wanting to take advantage of the recent stocking of it. Just venting because I haven't had much luck lately and with this schizophrenic weather--I'm just aggravated. 

You can fish the other 2 ponds behind the trout pond, and the one with the fountains is full of fish too :)

If you want to catch some trout, just take an ultralight and toss Rooster Tails or little Cleos, anything like that worked slowly close to the bottom should produce.  4 lb. test helps to keep them down.

If you've heard of Trout Magnets, they should be illegal.  1/64 Oz. jig w a tiny grub, 2 lb. test, reel it as slowly as you can stand-1-2 seconds per turn, and shake the rod tip sort of like when you test a rods action at a store :)

If you can imagine a stocker trout or a little bream trying to take the rod out of your hand, that's sort of what it feels like when they hit it!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MFBAB said:

You can fish the other 2 ponds behind the trout pond, and the one with the fountains is full of fish too :)

If you want to catch some trout, just take an ultralight and toss Rooster Tails or little Cleos, anything like that worked slowly close to the bottom should produce.  4 lb. test helps to keep them down.

If you've heard of Trout Magnets, they should be illegal.  1/64 Oz. jig w a tiny grub, 2 lb. test, reel it as slowly as you can stand-1-2 seconds per turn, and shake the rod tip sort of like when you test a rods action at a store :)

If you can imagine a stocker trout or a little bream trying to take the rod out of your hand, that's sort of what it feels like when they hit it!

Yeah yeah, I'm just being bitter. I've tossed around in the furthest pond nearest the baseball field a couple times and yielded no bites. Bite also fell off at the middle pond. I had the one closest to the road dialed in, which is why I'm grumpy. I've got an old ultra light around here somewhere, but I'll wait to get my trout sticker or endorsement(I haven't even looked into it) when I renew my license next month. 

My luck at the pond with the fountains has really fallen off since my first few visits back in the late Summer. Haven't had many bites and no landed fish since. 

Have you checked out the pond by the boardwalk back in the trees(behind the fountain pond)? 

1 person likes this

No, never tried that one. 

There is another one in the woods beyond the ball fields also, I haven't fished it either but there have been some reports on it within this thread that sounded positive. 

This is the time of year to fish those wooded ponds, the snakes and bugs are dormant!  The ones behind Nashoba and along Humphreys, etc. 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, WDE said:

Have you checked out the pond by the boardwalk back in the trees(behind the fountain pond)? 

I tried that pond once the year before last. It's super shallow. Biggest thing is it's really hard to fish. There really isn't any good bank access.

There is another lake out there that's located past the 3 ponds up front near the baseball fields where you've been mostly fishing. If you walk all the way down the walking track past those ponds thru a clearing in the woods, you'll run into that lake. That's where I've had the most luck at Johnson. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, wdp said:

I tried that pond once the year before last. It's super shallow. Biggest thing is it's really hard to fish. There really isn't any good bank access.

There is another lake out there that's located past the 3 ponds up front near the baseball fields where you've been mostly fishing. If you walk all the way down the walking track past those ponds thru a clearing in the woods, you'll run into that lake. That's where I've had the most luck at Johnson. 

I always thought the river was back there. Never made my way back there. But I'm reminded of an encounter that I had with an older man that I would see on a semi regular basis. We always make small chat, what are they biting, how's it going sort of talk when we see each other. One day after our little chat, he let me be at the front pond and went back in he woods. About an hour later he came back out and had blood covering his forehead and neck and hewas soaking wet. Apparently he stepped out onto a log back there and smacked his head a couple times on the log or underwater. He had a nice gash on the crown of his head, so I asked him a few questions to make sure he wasn't concussed. He seemed fine, but that was the last time I saw him. 

On 1/11/2017 at 1:39 PM, WDE said:

I always thought the river was back there. Never made my way back there. But I'm reminded of an encounter that I had with an older man that I would see on a semi regular basis. We always make small chat, what are they biting, how's it going sort of talk when we see each other. One day after our little chat, he let me be at the front pond and went back in he woods. About an hour later he came back out and had blood covering his forehead and neck and hewas soaking wet. Apparently he stepped out onto a log back there and smacked his head a couple times on the log or underwater. He had a nice gash on the crown of his head, so I asked him a few questions to make sure he wasn't concussed. He seemed fine, but that was the last time I saw him. 

Dang. Yeah, that lake has a lot of timber in it in 2 different areas. 1st area you come to walking up to the lake is a shallow cove that has a bunch of logs in it. That area obviously gets hammered by fishermen. Lots of corks & line broken off in the cover. 

If you walk walk down to the left along the bank, there is another big area of stumps & laydowns. I've caught a few there with shallow cranks, wakebaits, flukes and buzzfrogs.

I've never fished going along the right side of the bank. And the bank on far side of lake is steep with limited access. 

You kinda gotta be careful walking the bank tho. Some areas are a bit dicey & steep. Plus, there's also a roped off area along the trail where there is a major erosion issue where it drops off very steep into a big culvert/ditch.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:16 PM, wdp said:

Dang. Yeah, that lake has a lot of timber in it in 2 different areas. 1st area you come to walking up to the lake is a shallow cove that has a bunch of logs in it. That area obviously gets hammered by fishermen. Lots of corks & line broken off in the cover. 

If you walk walk down to the left along the bank, there is another big area of stumps & laydowns. I've caught a few there with shallow cranks, wakebaits, flukes and buzzfrogs.

I've never fished going along the right side of the bank. And the bank on far side of lake is steep with limited access. 

You kinda gotta be careful walking the bank tho. Some areas are a bit dicey & steep. Plus, there's also a roped off area along the trail where there is a major erosion issue where it drops off very steep into a big culvert/ditch.

Yeah, I actually walked down there Wednesday and around the right side about half way for a few minutes. No bites(lipless crank and spinnerbait), but I wasn't fishing it hard. Just getting a feel. Definitely some sketchy bank angles and terrain. Has some promise, hoping for a sunny day without so much wind soon so I can go back and beat the left side of the bank. 

Finally got rid of the skunk and out of my slump. Had to drive to Wolfchase Academy to get the lures I like because Collierville Academy was resetting their crankbait aisle. So I drove down Wolf River to Humphrey(across from the hospital) and saw that there's no fishing in there. 

Backtracked to here:

cCk94WZ.png

Fished the pond on the left for a few minutes, then cut through the woods and hit that small pond on the bottom right. Was slow going for a while, then I pulled in a bass(1.45lbs) on shad color spinnerbait. 

Then the fun started. I made a couple more casts and headed out to the bigger pond on the left, right where the skinny part widens into the bigger part of the lake. I initially wasn't going to bother with it, but saw some boils and started casting. In about 5 minutes a school of shad moved in and the bass started going crazy. Bagged 3 more decent sized bass(none smaller than the first) in about 10 minutes(or until the school dissipated) on almost back to back to back casts.

The largest weighed in at 3.5lbs and was the most fun to catch. Saw him blow up on the shad a couple times and tossed my lure out past him and he nailed it right when it entered his zone. 

6UYI9HZ.jpg

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, WDE said:

Finally got rid of the skunk and out of my slump. Had to drive to Wolfchase Academy to get the lures I like because Collierville Academy was resetting their crankbait aisle. So I drove down Wolf River to Humphrey(across from the hospital) and saw that there's no fishing in there. 

Backtracked to here:

cCk94WZ.png

Fished the pond on the left for a few minutes, then cut through the woods and hit that small pond on the bottom right. Was slow going for a while, then I pulled in a bass(1.45lbs) on shad color spinnerbait. 

Then the fun started. I made a couple more casts and headed out to the bigger pond on the left, right where the skinny part widens into the bigger part of the lake. I initially wasn't going to bother with it, but saw some boils and started casting. In about 5 minutes a school of shad moved in and the bass started going crazy. Bagged 3 more decent sized bass(none smaller than the first) in about 10 minutes(or until the school dissipated) on almost back to back to back casts.

The largest weighed in at 3.5lbs and was the most fun to catch. Saw him blow up on the shad a couple times and tossed my lure out past him and he nailed it right when it entered his zone. 

6UYI9HZ.jpg

Very nice. Sounds like a very productive day especially for winter time. 

Don't think I'm familiar with those ponds. I'll have to check them on google maps. 

10 minutes ago, wdp said:

Very nice. Sounds like a very productive day especially for winter time. 

Don't think I'm familiar with those ponds. I'll have to check them on google maps. 

It's part of the Wolf River Greenway. Right by the corner where Wolf River Blvd meets Germantown Rd. There's some shared parking with a medical complex, and a paved path down to the pond. During warmer months there's usually a smattering of people out there fishing for bluegill. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, WDE said:

It's part of the Wolf River Greenway. Right by the corner where Wolf River Blvd meets Germantown Rd. There's some shared parking with a medical complex, and a paved path down to the pond. During warmer months there's usually a smattering of people out there fishing for bluegill. 

Cool. Thx for info. We def need to meet up one of these days. 

6 minutes ago, wdp said:

Cool. Thx for info. We def need to meet up one of these days. 

I'm usually free nearly every Monday(all day). Then work schedule varies Tues-Sat. 

10 minutes ago, WDE said:

I'm usually free nearly every Monday(all day). Then work schedule varies Tues-Sat. 

I'm usually busy all week with work. Weekends are typically my free time to fish. At least until summer when it's daylight until 8 pm or so. That time of yr usually affords me a few hrs fishing in my neighborhood when I get home.

But we'll work something out one of these days. You ever get weekends free?

18 minutes ago, wdp said:

I'm usually busy all week with work. Weekends are typically my free time to fish. At least until summer when it's daylight until 8 pm or so. That time of yr usually affords me a few hrs fishing in my neighborhood when I get home.

But we'll work something out one of these days. You ever get weekends free?

I'm free every Sunday, but I use that day to spend with my wife, and stuff around the house. Earliest I get off work during the week is 3pm, so until Spring I'm racing the sunset. 

Ya'll holler at me sometime. I fish just about everyday some where around here. Plenty of "virgin" places to fish. 

AmD5l1-2138 - Copy.jpg

2 people like this