fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Mann's Jelly Worm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 11:59 AM

Has anyone ever used the Manns Jelly Worm? The ones that are scented with fruit?

OK really, do the bass care if the long "watermelon" or "strawberry" is swimming by? Can they really smell the fruit?

Or is that scent more for the angler than the fish?

Do these worms produce?
14' Flat Bottom Jonboat with 1966 Evinrude 18HP

#2 tomustang

tomustang

Wife ALWAYS wins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 12:19 PM

Don't know, but you might get sued for saying their name on the internet.

Tom

Getting closer.

#3 crankbait2009

crankbait2009

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 12:22 PM

???
14' Flat Bottom Jonboat with 1966 Evinrude 18HP

#4 Brian Needham

Brian Needham

come take my picture!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 12:24 PM

it was an alabama rig reference.......the Orginal mann's alabama rig.......if you use that phrase Manns has been known to sue you, lmao.

2014 Tackle the Storm Donation Total as of 4/06/14= $65.50

Boat Driver/Gear Talker for The Jeffro and Needham Show

#5 smalljaw67

smalljaw67

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 01:01 PM

it was an alabama rig reference.......the Orginal mann's alabama rig.......if you use that phrase Manns has been known to sue you, lmao.

They are issuing cease and desist letters for those making an umbrella rig and using the term "alabamama rig" in their description. I got one a few years ago for making chatterbaits, while they weren't the exact thing I posted a picture of the lure calling it a chatter style lure and I got a letter saying the name "chatter" was trademarked and therefore could not be used. They never told me I couldn'y make it, I just couldn't use the name. A friend of mine got a letter from Strike King, he got a mold from lure craft that made a very close copy of the rage craw, if fact lure craft had to take to mold off their site and can no longer sell it. So it isn't just Manns. As far as the Jelly worm concept, when I started bass fishing these were the worms to have and worked really well and still do. The fruit smell is for both angler and fish, the flavor also represents the color of the worm, the flavor or scent mask oders that are known to repel fish like sun tan lotion or tobacco, it is no different than an angler putting some megastrike on their lure.

#6 Blue Streak

Blue Streak

My mother was a Bass

• Pro Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 04:02 PM

They catch bass you can bet on that. I think the color is more important than the scent, bass are just not scent feeders. But I think it might make them hang onto a bait a little while longer. They do work and smelling those things all day long made me hungry!
keep it simple.....share your knowledge...... be honest

#7 urp

urp

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 04:24 PM

I use Mann's 8" grape Jelly and it's a great producer. Can't say say it's fruity.

#8 flukemaster

flukemaster

I'm Dink-Dropping 5 pounders.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 06:05 PM

They are good worms and I've caught fish on them but because of all the threats made by Tammy Poss (the wife of the inventor of The Alabama Rig) to young kids on the internet I decided that I won't be buying anymore Manns products.

#9 eyedabassman

eyedabassman

I love bass fishing! Bowling. old cars! Night Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 06:30 PM

They catch bass you can bet on that. I think the color is more important than the scent, bass are just not scent feeders. But I think it might make them hang onto a bait a little while longer. They do work and smelling those things all day long made me hungry!

The Jelly worm was a big part of my bass fishing back in the day. I was happy to see them come back out. I have a plastic sponsor and I must say that the Jelly worm will catch fish! Blue Streak is spot on. I like the black and grape colors alot. I told my wife that they should make a men's after shave of worm sents,and call it the worm after shave! Not the garlic sent ! LOL

#10 Will Wetline

Will Wetline

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 08:30 PM

This is too funny.

Back in 1972 when I was a young bassmaster, there were not a lot of choices for plastic worms, or not in Massachusetts at any rate. These Mann's worms were available.

With the tremendous number of brands and styles available nowadays, I hadn't wondered whether the classic Jelly worm was still available or not.

I do remember that that the LM in a 300 acre pond did enjoy picking up the heavily-scented 9" Jelly worms in black and grape. I don't doubt that they still would.

#11 TourPT

TourPT

Frog It!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 11:50 PM

My understanding is its the inventor doing the suing not Mann's. Mann's just bought the rights to make them under there name. I could be wrong but thats what I have heard. In any event jelly worms work as good today as they ever have. I believe it was because of the Jelly Worms fruit flavor that we have ten million scents on the market today. The bass ate them up like candy and the next thing you know the Attractant, Scent market got started.

#12 vapredhunter

vapredhunter

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted February 20 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thats my favorite worm 9" Grape, Black,and the Firetails used the Manns Augertails as well. Been useing them since I was a kid back in the 80s.

#13 aavery2

aavery2

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted February 21 2012 - 12:05 AM

Wasn't it the Jelly Worm that Paul Elias was using along with a crankbait when he broke the weight record.

#14 Fishingman93

Fishingman93

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted February 21 2012 - 10:18 PM

Minnow you are correct on that Paul Elias broke the record with the manns Jelly worm :respect-059:

#15 Wild Bill [NY]

Wild Bill [NY]

Frog-aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 04:58 PM

I stil use Mann's Jelly Worms.

They FLOAT great, so if you fish them on a texas-rig, the tail of the worm floats up behind the weight, looking like a creature feeding on the bottom.

Weightless, the ten-inch ones look like a snake coming across the waters, as you twitch it on top of the water's surface.
NY DEC Dept of Fisheries Volunteer