bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Florida Strain Largemouth Bass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 aclark609

aclark609

Lip em' and rip em'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 11:28 PM

I know warm states like California, Texas, and of course Florida hold this strain of largemouth bass, but what about other states? I live in Northwest Arkansas and was wondering if anyone had any info on if they are here as well.

#2 Phranchise1213

Phranchise1213

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 11:57 PM

I can't contribute to this topic really but I do have to say your screen name is awesome. lol

Riding In: Tarpon 120 with Humminbird Piranha 160

Fishing With: Shimano, Abu, St. Croix

#3 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 08:17 AM

They don't do well in waters where they're going to endure cold temperatures. They also don't do well with rapid temperature changes. They're most often crossed with Northern Largemouth to create "Tiger" bass in those situations where the dual characteristics are sought. However, it is still noted that they're not much further north than the Gulf States. The West Coast is a unique situation because of their weather patterns, as well. That said, I know of no Florida Strain fish north of TX, definitely not into Northern AR. I know of no hybrids north of Eufaula Lake OK, in the Midwest or Near South.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#4 00 mod

00 mod

Dink dropping how many lbers?

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 09:06 AM

Lake Austell in Arkansas was stocked with Florida strain way back when! Also the new state record was caught out of Dunn, which is in the same state park as Austell and at 16.5 lbs I would bet it made its way over from Austell and would be a Florida strain!

Jeff

PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE "SCROUNGA" CLUB

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#5 HogFan5

HogFan5

Rippin' Lips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:00 AM

Lake DeGray(my home lake) and Lake Monticello in Arkansas have Florida strain bass. DeGray doesn't have an abundance but they are in there.

#6 aclark609

aclark609

Lip em' and rip em'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 07:03 PM

I can't contribute to this topic really but I do have to say your screen name is awesome. lol

thanks man.

#7 aclark609

aclark609

Lip em' and rip em'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 07:08 PM

Lake Austell in Arkansas was stocked with Florida strain way back when! Also the new state record was caught out of Dunn, which is in the same state park as Austell and at 16.5 lbs I would bet it made its way over from Austell and would be a Florida strain!

Jeff

I read the article on that. They said they are gonna run tests to see if it's Florida strain or Northern Strain.

I've always wanted to believe we had Florida strain bass throughout the state but I've heard from some folks that we don't so I figure I'd post it. Thanks for the responses fellas. Anyone with any extra info feel free to chime in.

#8 mr.mallard

mr.mallard

is it spring yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 07:40 PM

swepco lake has floridas and is probably less than an hour from you.
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary.  

#9 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,017 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 09:38 PM

The Salt river chain of lakes were stocked in the early 80's with FLMB.
The coldest water that a Florida strain largemouth can tolerate is 45 degrees at the depth they in. If the lake doesn't freeze over and has deep water that not below the 45 range, the FLMB can survive. How big FLMB will grow depends on the available prey types the bass feed on; lots of high protein prey and they grow to be giants.
Tom

#10 Red Earth

Red Earth

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 08:14 AM

is there an easy way to tell the difference between a florida strain and northern strain?

#11 WRB

WRB

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,017 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 11:00 AM

is there an easy way to tell the difference between a florida strain and northern strain?

FLMB have more lateral line pore scales than NLMB; 59-68, FLMB 69-73. There are other differences in scale counts, the lateral line scales are easier to count as they each have a small hole. You can lay a live bass on a wet towel and count fairly fast, try not to keep the bass out of water more than a minute.
Tom