bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Jerkbait Rod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan Hedrick

Morgan Hedrick

AGR545

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 12:37 AM

What type of rod is best for jerkbaits?

#2 Ima Bass Ninja

Ima Bass Ninja

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 06:53 AM

It will vary from person to person but i like a 6'6" medium power fast action rod. To be specific i use the vendetta rod.
"Givin' him the best of, everything that's left of
The life inside this man

I've been Born Again!!!!"

#3 bassinbrian

bassinbrian

Is it spring yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 06:56 AM

I use a 6'6" M XF.
Anything better then Frogging and punching? I think not!!!

#4 Christian M

Christian M

Glastank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 07:34 AM

7' Med Fast, but thats just me, I dont really like to go under 6'10" because I do'nt like to sacrifice casting distance

#5 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 08:05 AM

Typically a medium Xfast. The speed of the rod allows for rapid recovery and exact movements while still having some protection for hooks. In the case of a moderate rod, it can, and will, remain loaded too long and continue to move a bait after you've stopped moving the rod. They're just not well suited to jerkbait fishing, typically.
Lengths, again in general, will almost always be under the 6-9 marker. Most guys and gals that are of average size, when working a rod tip down can't do it effectively with anything longer. I actually prefer a 6-3 for most of mine, and a 6-6 for larger baits. Most people that really spend time doing it will agree that long rods aren't ideal.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#6 DRhodes

DRhodes

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 08:16 AM

I use a 6'6 Medium Fast action rod.
All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.
~ Harold F. Blaisdell

#7 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,123 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 09:46 AM

Mine is an Avid AVC66MF/ Scorpion/ #12 Sunline Super Natural monofilament

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#8 smalljaw67

smalljaw67

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:16 AM

It will vary from person to person but i like a 6'6" medium power fast action rod. To be specific i use the vendetta rod.

I like a rod from 6'3" to 6'6", my main jerkbait rod is a Loomis JBR752C but I got a 6'6" medium power Vendetta when they came out as an all purpose rod and found it to be a fantastic rod for jerkbaits. I also just aquired what might be the perfect jerkbbait rod once I get used to the longer length, a Fenwick Elite Tech Smallouth 6'10" MH-MF casting rod. It has a fast tip so you can really move the bait without the rod flexing too much but once you're bit and apply pressure to the fish the rod gives a bit and flexes down to the mid section so you sort of have the best of both worlds, fast action for working the bait and moderate fast for fighting the fish.

#9 Delaware Valley Tackle

Delaware Valley Tackle

I Love Bass Fishing!

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:41 AM

A "popping" rod has a really fast action but relatively soft tip. I like these for jerks and top water.
10% Disc. on Reel Repair/Service & Custom Rods for BassResource.com members! www.delawarevalleytackle.com

#10 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 10:46 AM

I used to use a St Croix 6'6" M power fast action Legend Tournament rod for jerkbaits and top waters, in a move of stupidity, I sold that rod thinking I would be fine with using my 7' rod of the same action power....WRONG. I am going back to a 6'6". I bought a 6'6" M Lightning rod shock this winter to use as a pond hopping/truck rod, but it will be in the boat, and get a try at jerkbaits and topwater, if I like it, good, if not, I will get another 6'6" St Croix, probably not a LT, but maybe a Mojo or something.
I am not afraid to suck.

#11 new2BC4bass

new2BC4bass

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 12:20 PM

I like a rod from 6'3" to 6'6", my main jerkbait rod is a Loomis JBR752C but I got a 6'6" medium power Vendetta when they came out as an all purpose rod and found it to be a fantastic rod for jerkbaits. I also just aquired what might be the perfect jerkbbait rod once I get used to the longer length, a Fenwick Elite Tech Smallouth 6'10" MH-MF casting rod. It has a fast tip so you can really move the bait without the rod flexing too much but once you're bit and apply pressure to the fish the rod gives a bit and flexes down to the mid section so you sort of have the best of both worlds, fast action for working the bait and moderate fast for fighting the fish.

Are you trying to talk me into buying another Smallmouth rod? :cry4: That isn't the model you previously mentioned to me for a jerk bait rod. Maybe you are trying to hurry along my divorce....which is sure to happen if I don't ease off on rods and reels.

Then Mike has to go and put in his 2 cents worth. Next thing you know I'll have 6 different rods trying to determine the best...for me...with jerk baits.

#12 riskkid 2

riskkid 2

Someday I'll get it right!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 12:31 PM

I also use a 6' 6" MF rod. I also use it for top water, specifically I use Pop R type baits alot.

#13 slowpoke274

slowpoke274

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 12:47 PM

i use a st croix triumph 6'6" medium action fast tip with a quantum energy 400 5.1:1 ratio and 12lb big game the slower reel allows me to work the bait around cover without as much forward movement a faster reel would give to the retrieve
it is better to know some of the questions than to know all the answers

#14 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 01:22 PM

Any M/F or XF rod that doesn't slap the water should work fine. I use an Avid AVC62MXF and AVC68MXF.

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#15 Phranchise1213

Phranchise1213

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 01:42 PM

6 6 medium fast...doubles as my topwater setup as well for poppers and smaller walking baits.

Riding In: Tarpon 120 with Humminbird Piranha 160

Fishing With: Shimano, Abu, St. Croix