Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jgbolduc

Bow Mounted Depth Finder Suggestions

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I already have a nice dash mounted Hummingbird 597ci HD unit which I do like. The high def is nice and the GPS is essential. I'm lacking a depth finder on the bow however. I'm looking for recommendations for a unit I should install. My budget is about $500.00 or less. I'm guessing GPS is not necessary since I have it already on my dash mounted unit. I do want a color screen though.

Thanks!!

You can use your present unit on the bow. Just get another quick disconnect mount, power cord, and trolling motor transducer and move it to where you are in the boat..

If you're a Humminbird guy, then try a 586C.

I currently own a Garmin Echo 550C for the bow of my boat on a RAM mount. I just bought it a few weeks ago and have yet to use it for fishing. It does have a great picture though.

I was just about to ask this same question. I have a Humminbird 788 at the console and want to upgrade the bow. I was looking at the Lowrance Elite4 DSI but don't know alot about them. Anyone have an opinion?

I was just about to ask this same question. I have a Humminbird 788 at the console and want to upgrade the bow. I was looking at the Lowrance Elite4 DSI but don't know alot about them. Anyone have an opinion?

I just bought and installed the Elite 4x DSI and will try it out for the first time this weekend. In the display mode, it looks great.

NILBasser, the Lowrance DSI units are Down Scan only. They are OK for moving around looking for stuff, but basically worthless for fishing especially vertical presentations. If you have a companion 2D sonar unit, then you will be fine for a bow setup.

A better choice is a Humminbird DI unit which has Down Imaging and regular 2D sonar--there are several models from a narrow screen 5" to a 10.4" screen model.

The Humminbird 788ci HD DI unit would be a good choice if you cannot afford a Side Imaging unit or Structure Scan equipment- A little less expensive would be the 597ci HD DI.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went with the Hummingbird 788ci HD DI. Went a bit above my budget, but figured this unit will compliment my other depth finder.