Auten Leads PAA All Star Series on Lake Ray HubbardAuten Leads PAA All Star Series on Lake Ray Hubbard Todd Auten of South Carolina leads the PAA All Star Series on Lake Ray Hubbard
GARLAND, Texas – Todd Auten of South Carolina leads the PAA All Star Series on Lake Ray Hubbard after the first day with 22.96 pounds.
The field found a finicky bite on Ol’ Mother Hubbard, which didn’t completely open its cupboard. The big bass predicted by some pros and several locals didn’t fully materialize. Harley Brigman of Texas landed the day’s big bass, an 8.34-pounder that snarfed a crankbait.
“Something changed from earlier in the week,” Brigman said. “But I’m going back to that area Friday to look for ‘em again.”
Auten didn’t have a specific area he stayed in, but said his milk run paid off Thursday.
“I ended up running around and it all worked out for me,” he said. “I figured out a little something, too, at the end of the day that may turn out good. I caught three doing it and don’t know if it will (hold up), but I’ll see.”
Friday’s second round will feature the full field before being cut to the top 12 for Saturday.
The Top 12 after Day 1:
1. Todd Auten, South Carolina – 22.96
2. Brian Snowden, Missouri – 22.01
3. Matt Reed, Texas – 21.25
4. Dave Mansue, Texas – 21.25
5. Dave Lefebre, Pennsylvania – 19.71
6. Ott Defoe, Tennessee – 18.61
7. Justin Rackley, Texas – 18.38
8. Jason Christie, Oklahoma – 18.25
9. Terry Butcher, Oklahoma – 18.18
10. Stephen Johnston, Texas – 17.76
11. Takahiro Omori, Texas – 17.26
12. Stacey King, Missouri – 16.89
The inaugural PAA All Star Series features 48 of the nation’s best pros who qualified from the 2010 PAA Tournament Series along with special invited anglers. Launches are at 7 a.m. and weigh-ins are at 3 p.m., both taking place at Bass Pro Shops-Garland.