Jump to content
Jigfishn10

Eastern Ma Fishing Reports

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DogBone_384 said:

I might try to get out for a bit on Saturday, pending getting the wife to sign my 'permission' slip ....😁.

 

If YES, it'll likely be Hedges in Plymouth.  The Cape's a bit of a drive for just a part day for me.

i've had some great mid winter days out there.  January! 

night box smallie.jpg

january football.jpg

i cant wait to get out for some cold water bassin, im itching to go! after my trip to NY this weekend, its game on

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

i've had some great mid winter days out there

I've not had much luck there the last couple outings.  I think downsizing and slowing down is the key.  If nothing else, a couple 1+ pound perch make up for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you throwing for bait this time of year in this cold ass weather? I have been seeing some big lunkers at my honey hole yet they just stare at everything I toss out there to them. I am mostly fishing the Topsfeild,Ipswich,Danvers,and home town Peabody lakes and ponds. Sny advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Peter Hill
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I packed it in for the year. I'm going to get all my gear cleaned and organized soon. I need to figure out what I need to buy more of for next year! And I need to send two reels off for service. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter Hill said:

What are you throwing for bait this time of year in this cold ass weather?

Firstly, welcome to the forum.  This is a great thread to follow if you live/fish in eastern MA.

 

November's been tough, but downsizing and S L O W I N G down should remedy things.  With water temps likely in the 40's by now, you'll have to dangle something in front of them convincing enough to bite.

 

I focus on smallies and this time of year and throw suspending jerk baits and blade baits.  A drop-shot might work if you're patient and fish it slowly through a school.

 

Good luck if you're still getting out there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Peter Hill said:

What are you throwing for bait this time of year in this cold ass weather? I have been seeing some big lunkers at my honey hole yet they just stare at everything I toss out there to them. I am mostly fishing the Topsfeild,Ipswich,Danvers,and home town Peabody lakes and ponds. Sny advice would be much appreciated.

I focus on deeper ponds this time of year, clear deep ponds if they are small that better.  I like 20 plus but 10-20 you can fish as well. I go slow!  I use alot of blade baits.  I have been adding hair jigs to my arsenal as well. With the blade I lift the bait till it vibrates then let if fall, pause it. They'll suck it off bottom. I dont rip it up or bring it far off the bottom. Some days they may like the bait ripped up.  Some days they want a short pause on bottom. Some days long.   
With hair jigs, i slow twitch it on bottom. 

 

Blades: 1/4-1/2 ounce silver. I'm going to use gold more this year to look like perch
hair jigs:  1/4- 1/2- natural colors. Im just starting out using them, my best producer is black

Last November I had a killer day fishing a new pond, bunch of 1-2lb fish biggest going 4lbs. plastics on jig heads, blades and hair jigs. Never fish the pond before that day. Water temps in mid to high 40s.

I've had some banner days in January and February.  There's fish to be caught. 

S lot of guys love jerkbaits in the cold in shallow ponds, but i only get pickerel. so i go deep away from the pickerel

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: Mike Dixon, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: Mike Dixon, outdoor and waterImage may contain: 1 person, sky, cloud, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: water and outdoor

 

^^ december- february fish. 

ive caught fish into november at night on topwater. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

I focus on deeper ponds this time of year, clear deep ponds if they are small that better.  I like 20 plus but 10-20 you can fish as well. I go slow!  I use alot of blade baits.  I have been adding hair jigs to my arsenal as well. With the blade I lift the bait till it vibrates then let if fall, pause it. They'll suck it off bottom. I dont rip it up or bring it far off the bottom. Some days they may like the bait ripped up.  Some days they want a short pause on bottom. Some days long.   
With hair jigs, i slow twitch it on bottom. 

 

Blades: 1/4-1/2 ounce silver. I'm going to use gold more this year to look like perch
hair jigs:  1/4- 1/2- natural colors. Im just starting out using them, my best producer is black

Last November I had a killer day fishing a new pond, bunch of 1-2lb fish biggest going 4lbs. plastics on jig heads, blades and hair jigs. Never fish the pond before that day. Water temps in mid to high 40s.

I've had some banner days in January and February.  There's fish to be caught. 

S lot of guys love jerkbaits in the cold in shallow ponds, but i only get pickerel. so i go deep away from the pickerel

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: Mike Dixon, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: Mike Dixon, outdoor and waterImage may contain: 1 person, sky, cloud, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: water and outdoor

 

^^ december- february fish. 

ive caught fish into november at night on topwater. 

Smallies will pick up blades just laying on the bottom.  Lift and drop and then you can let them rest on the bottom give it a little jiggle and they will pick it up.   Check out a video of Scott Dobyns fishing blade baits on Lake St Claire.  On windy days you can put a small hair jig under a bobber and drift over deep areas, I have caught them doing just that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, je1946 said:

Smallies will pick up blades just laying on the bottom.  Lift and drop and then you can let them rest on the bottom give it a little jiggle and they will pick it up.   check out a video of

yep, I've set the hook a few times when I'm lifting the the bait. not knowing a fish picked it up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

yep, I've set the hook a few times when I'm lifting the the bait. not knowing a fish picked it up 

If you can find a video of Mark Zona of how to fish a deep diving jerkbait in cold water, it makes for very interesting watching.  I was very glad I watched it as it was totally different as to what I was doing and it worked like a charm, very productive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ill have to check that one out, i've watched his blade bait video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

@Mr. Aquarium Do you have any recommendations for hair jigs? 

I like the Team Pacatacarocco Fuzz Ball jigs as well as the Punnisher and Cumberland jigs.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also the challenger jig as well 

 

just got back from a weekend trip to NY.  Conditions were a little worse then what we expected/ hoped for. We got fish. I only caught king salmon. My 2 buddies caught some browns kings and a steelie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

I only caught king salmon

That's more than most of us on the thread caught.... I'm thinking of hitting Hedges this afternoon if the rain subsides.

Look for the orange Tundra and tan kayak.

 

ADD:

it’s overcast, almost calm, and water temps are currently 46.x

 

ADD ... more ...

 

Finished up with two yellow perch, a pound +- each, caught with a perch blade bait.  I tossed a variety of treble hooks and dragged/hopped a black/blue tube, covering every inch I could during the 4 hours I was here.  I marked most of my fish in the south east corner.

 

Only bummer was I forgot my jig box... planned on tossing hair jigs.

 

I think I'll let the SMB here be until Spring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upcoming temps aren't looking good! Get the ice fishing gear ready!  😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got smoked at Harwich on Saturday. Water temps were 47-48, had mostly cloudy skies and west wind at 15-25MPH.  Air temps were in the mid 40s.

 

I met up with @Dunks N Dinks and we fished together along with a buddy of mine.  We chucked blade baits, jerkbaits, Spinnerbait, chatterbait, underspin, swimbait, ned rig, dropshot, hair jigs and a football jig.  Had a handful of perch at the end of the day, about 8 hours.  I think they all came on a blade bait.  

 

Not the outcome we were looking for, but I think we still managed to enjoy ourselves.

 

My boat and outboard need a bit of work, so I’m not sure if I’ll be getting out again before 2019.  If I do I’ll let  you know how I do.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Janderson45 said:

Got smoked at Harwich on Saturday. Water temps were 47-48, had mostly cloudy skies

Sounds like my last couple trips out.  I've got one last trip to the Cape next weekend with the kayak.  I'm planning on Flax and Sheeps.  My goal is to catch fish in open water every month in MA.  Both waters are deep and have trout.  If smallies are shut down, I've got good odds in getting a trout.

 

Good luck to anyone else getting out.

 

Lastly, how's Saturday December 8th sound for a lunch somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ill be out this weekend!! I havent been able to get out on to some coldwater bass lately.  got some new ponds to check out! if i get bit this time of year at these new spots, then i can't wait to fish em in the summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DogBone_384 said:

Sounds like my last couple trips out.  I've got one last trip to the Cape next weekend with the kayak.  I'm planning on Flax and Sheeps.  My goal is to catch fish in open water every month in MA.  Both waters are deep and have trout.  If smallies are shut down, I've got good odds in getting a trout.

 

Good luck to anyone else getting out.

 

Lastly, how's Saturday December 8th sound for a lunch somewhere?

The 8th is out for me.  I would hope we can do something after the holidays as far as a meet and greet for lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the holidays is good for me. I’m headed to the Mecum Auction Jan 4th to 6th.  After that it depends on my work schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DogBone_384 said:

After the holidays is good for me. I’m headed to the Mecum Auction Jan 4th to 6th.  After that it depends on my work schedule.

Be nice if we could get some new blood to join us.  Have fun at the auction, stay safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. OK, NEW BLOOD ... chime in and let us know what y’all think. We meet at the Red Wing Diner on Route 1 SB in Walpole (not far from BPS).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out to the sudburry to cast the hudd from shore yesterday since this is the last weekend it's open. I only fished for like an hour and no bites. It's such a peaceful area though and fun just to hike around. I was surprised to find a weedbed in one area that was still very alive and green, not sure what the water temps are like there but I expected most of the vegetation to be dead at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×