Jigfishn10

Eastern Ma Fishing Reports

I launched at Hinckley’s at dawn. It was foggy with light wind. Water temps were 43.x. I packed up after 3 hours of nothing, tossing a gold blade bait, black/blue jig, and black maribou jig.  The highlight here was a bald eagle chasing an osprey around.

I moved over to Flax, figuring I’d have a chance at smallies and trout. I caught one shiny rainbow on a perch Rapala scatter rap. Flax’s water temp was 44.x. It was sunny and fairly windy.

I left Flax and headed back to the main land, stopping at Hedges, still looking for a smallie.  I launched a little after 1400 and stayed until dark.  I continued with the same lures I used at Hinkleys until the last hour when I switched to a Mepps spinner and wacky rigged Senko. Wouldn’t you know the Senko would be the winner, netting a bright shiny 1-12 smallie in my lap. Water temps were 43.x - 44.x.

Seven ponds over three days netted me two rainbows, one yellow perch, and one smallie.  No matter, I fished with Mr. Aquarium, had a great lunch, and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: I caught fish in open water each month this year.

Next year’s goal is the same and breaking the 5 pound mark added to the fun.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

lets get you that 5lbs  mark. 

Can get him a 5lb smallie @ Quabbin.

12 minutes ago, je1946 said:

oh ya, no doubt 

First time I went there, I lost one over 5lbs, my buddy first 10 min of the day caught one over 5. The 2nd time I went there, smallie fishin was tough, but I caught a 7lbs lake trout. The 3rd time I went there. It was a tough long day. Grind for bass, didnt get one until last 2 hours of the day. The last 2 hours resulted in 6.9, 5.5, 4.2, 3.5 and a 2.5 lbs smallie. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, je1946 said:

Yeah, you could.  But, could you get him a double header like you did for me?

4 hours ago, Fishing Rhino said:

Yeah, you could.  But, could you get him a double header like you did for me?

Still have the picture of that and those were both good sized smallies.

• Thanks 1

Apparently I need to fish the Q with @je1946 :)

Got out there once this year with Tom and HE got one over 5 (like he often does). Me, not so much. 

Last yr on the Q I found the fishing for smallies to be tougher than usual. I had no fish over 5lb for the first time in a long time.  We did have a number over 4.  My PB is right at 6lbs, but I've had smallies follow baits that were bigger than that.

Anybody still fishing open water? Most places near me have about 2" of ice so I'll be fishing hard-water for the next few months (hopefully). 

Plymouth & Cape Cod should still be open.  Kettle & deep waters won't freeze... yet.  I know Long Pond in Plymouth takes a L O N G time to freeze.  It's 100+' deep not far from the boat launch.

I cant decided where to fish this weekend, I could fish a honey hole  hoping for a giant or  fish water I dont fish often but has good fish.

Start farthest from home so if it doesn't pan out you can hit another OTW home.

Hey guys, sorry if this question has been asked, but any kayak fishers on this thread? For a couple of years now I've really wanted to fish out of a yak.

I'm thinking a stand up one, any thoughts/comments? Good or bad. Would love to know what you think.

12 minutes ago, Jigfishn10 said:

Hey guys, sorry if this question has been asked, but any kayak fishers on this thread? For a couple of years now I've really wanted to fish out of a yak.

I'm thinking a stand up one, any thoughts/comments? Good or bad. Would love to know what you think.

I fish out of a yak. It’s not bad and it gets you to the fish but I am probably going to be moving towards a Jon boat. I’m sure the experience gets better the more you spend but I can’t justify spending thousands on a kayak when I could just get a Jon boat with a trailer. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jigfishn10 said:

I fish out of one. It'a a 10' sit-in so definitely not your traditional fishing kayak but it gets the job done. IMO only bad thing about a kayak is the wind, it can control how you fish for the day, or stop you altogether. Other than that there aren't really any lakes in the state (that you can launch on) that are big enough you couldn't paddle the whole length, plus you get the ability to go ultra shallow. 

Stand-up you are looking at a sit-on-top, probably 12'+. There are great options out there in that category but many are $1000 or more. Ascend FS12 Sit-On-Top is the cheapest kayak I am aware of in that category at $650. Also consider the weight, most fishing kayaks are 75+lbs, just something to keep in mind for transportation. Also, you may want to strongly consider pedal drive of some sort. More expensive but it makes battling the wind or going long distances easier. If I ever upgrade I'm going pedal drive. 

• Thanks 1

Merry Fishmas yall...putting the spinner-bait box to work this holiday sznIMG_3916.jpg.fbc19f1b2a87df96669a70bfe3cb378e.jpg

• Like 1

hey, Santa gets thirsty too

• Haha 1

i fish out of a 10 foot super light kayak, but like it was said in a previous post, the wind blows.  Its really great for pond hoping and fishing smaller ponds. I hate fishing a big pond on a kayak. I'm in the process of buying a jon boat, that way i can have a motor, anchor, multiple rods. I hate being limited to only 2 rods! 

• Thanks 1

Going Out today. Winds sw 5 to 10 high of 49 with some periodic rain. Going to sheeps. I have jigs, tubes, blade baits, hair and drop shots ready. Wish me luck. I’ll keep you guys posted. Looking for bronze gold 🙏

• Like 1

A perfect day for winter bass.  I’m at work, so best of luck to those that get out today!

Thursday’s weather looks good and I’m off.  Might just head to Plymouth or Cape Cod to try my luck.

Christmas came early this year, I just had to be my own Santa Claus.

ACB2F308-8AF3-44EB-AC88-80B4E9E432CB.thumb.jpeg.c9b6ff67b926147ab80f5eb6750793cc.jpeg

0286FFD3-EB09-4138-85D2-533CC4EBB3E7.thumb.jpeg.a7cf3331d0cf44d847316afee29ea711.jpeg

Should be a fun winter project, these new models come with heavy duty hyrdrualic hoses and necessary components for a very clean (and lightweight) install - should be very slick looking on the Lund.  Paired with the Ultrex I shouldn’t have a problem preceisly controlling the boat in just about any water depth or conditions.

• Like 2