Eastern Ma Fishing Reports

21 hours ago, DogBone_384 said:

How’d it taste?

It was good. Will have three meals. There is certainly a mysterious aura to Walden Pond. All the literature and legends didn't come from just another pond. There is probably brown trout in there that eat the stockies. The brown I lost with a bent hook was one of the most savage predatory strikes I have ever seen.

IMG_20240323_181930.jpg

IMG_20240323_192030.jpg

• Like 1

• Super User

My late Winter Cape Cod trip was short, I wasn't in the mood to deal with the wind/rain/cold this year.

Only hit two other ponds.  One's a regular, and the other is a LMB pond I've fished only once.  I got 1 LMB and one Pick, early, in Sandwich then nothing for the rest of the day.  Water temps were lower than last Saturday @ 45.x degrees.  I won the skunk in Orleans, throwing everything I could think of.  Water temps in Orleans was 47.x - 48.x.  

I also saw my first Osprey of the year.

I'm ready for some sunshine and warmer temps, how about the rest of you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DogBone_384 said:

I'm ready for some sunshine and warmer temps, how about the rest of you?

Oh my goodness yes.

• Super User
On 3/29/2024 at 11:45 PM, Sputterbug said:

Nice to be back in Mass again. 

You sure about that? Nice fish though, congrats.

I checked off April with a 2# smallmouth and 1.5# yellow perch at my favorite Plymouth kettle.  I threw enough of EVERYTHING but all these two wanted was a Houdini 3.8" Keitech.  Mr. Smallie was shallow, about 5', and came out of the water 4 times.  They're waking up.

Oh yeah, suckers were on beds....

Water temps were 49.x ... almost there.

• Like 4

I got out for a couple of hours after work today.  Just like @DogBone_384 I got my April bass.  4 in total, biggest was right around 2.5lbs.  The only thing they wanted was a Keitech 3.8” smallmouth magic on a 1/4oz jig head dragged down drop offs from 6’-15’.  Water temps were 48 degrees. 

• Like 4

Yeah DogBone tonight I'm sure about it, yesterday maybe not so much.

Got this 5.12 tonight!  It was awesome, as soon as I set the hook there was no doubt it was a good one. Was skunked and battered by the wind yesterday. Went back to same pond tonight grinding away, it paid off. Caught it on a weightless plastic worm. Looking forward to it warming up a bit.

IMG_0246 copy.jpeg

• Like 6

I fished a northern MA river for four hours today and got zilch to show for it. 41.5 degree water, with way too much current. Early days yet...

• Like 1

• Super User
1 hour ago, guidoStow said:

our hours today and got zilch to show for it

All the fish were watching the eclipse!

Our very own @Mr. Aquarium is a celebrity.  He's on the cover of The Fisherman, New England edition, 08 April 2024!

He really is Mr. Aquarium!

Look it up and buy a PDF copy!

Congratulations Mike!  

Now go get that eight pounder you've been looking for!

• Like 2

Got out the last two days after work.  Monday was a bust, dead calm, eclipse, no fish.  Yesterday at a different lake; windy, water warmed more.  Managed to get a boat load of fish, I think it was between 14-17 fish lost count at one point.  All over 2 pounds, biggest two were 3.3lbs same exact weigh but two very different fish. 

Fished the wind blown shore, they were shallow anywhere from 2'-5' hanging out on any blow down or rocky piece of shore.  Missed a bunch of fish as well when the wind was really blowing, they would hit the jig and swim towards the kayak while I was getting blown towards them and couldn't manage a good hookset .  Everything was on a 1/2oz Black and Blue jig with a Green Pumpkin Berkley Pit Boss trailer.  Weather ahead is looking pretty good and hopefully the cold weather is behind us.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ne_dan said:

14-17 fish lost count

Sounds like a great day bro! You know the water temp?

Looks like you fish south shore, am I close?

Congrats @Mike, that's awesome

6 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Got out the last two days after work.  Monday was a bust, dead calm, eclipse, no fish.  Yesterday at a different lake; windy, water warmed more.  Managed to get a boat load of fish, I think it was between 14-17 fish lost count at one point.  All over 2 pounds, biggest two were 3.3lbs same exact weigh but two very different fish. 

Fished the wind blown shore, they were shallow anywhere from 2'-5' hanging out on any blow down or rocky piece of shore.  Missed a bunch of fish as well when the wind was really blowing, they would hit the jig and swim towards the kayak while I was getting blown towards them and couldn't manage a good hookset .  Everything was on a 1/2oz Black and Blue jig with a Green Pumpkin Berkley Pit Boss trailer.  Weather ahead is looking pretty good and hopefully the cold weather is behind us.

my favorite lure/combo, black and blue jig with green pumpkin trailer 🤘

• Like 1

Got this 5.0 tonight out of a bog pond that I hadn't fished in a few years. Almost no signs of life til I hooked this one. Caught on a plastic worm. She shot up out of the water like a cannon ball and looked bigger on first glimpse. Only fish of the night.

IMG_0325 copy.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah it's been a great start for me. It has not been easy though. Other than the 3 Fives I haven't hardly caught anything else. Had my share of skunks as well.

Two of them I caught on a much larger pond than I'm used to fishing. Im trying to step out of my comfort zone, focus more now on places a bit larger and deeper that I know are holding more big fish.  With a 12' canoe the hook sets and dealing in the wind can be an adventure though but hoping it will pay off. Also, thinking of getting a new rod to start fishing swimbaits.

Just keep throwing those glide baits, you'll be hoisting another giant soon.

For @ol'cricketyand the other fine fish folks in maine.

Lawmakers on board with protections for Maine’s lakes and ponds

Apr 04, 2024 | 5:34 am ET
By AnnMarie Hilton

Description
Variable-leaf milfoil. (Maine Department of Environmental Protection photo)

The Maine Legislature threw bipartisan support behind multiple bills to protect freshwater lakes and ponds in the state from burgeoning issues such as invasive species and shoreland zoning. 

“Our freshwater lakes and ponds are a core part of Maine’s identity,” said Francesca “Ches” Gundrum, advocacy director for Maine Audubon, in a news release. “The support from the Maine Legislature for these bills indicates a strong desire to keep our freshwater resources clean and healthy for our state’s wildlife and generations of Mainers to come.”

Maine Audubon, a statewide wildlife conservation organization, supported all four of the bills, which the House and Senate voted on over the past month. 

Fighting invasive species

As a result of the changing climate, invasive species, particularly Eurasian water milfoil, have increasingly crept into Maine’s fresh waterways, clogging lakes and ponds across the state. Two bills will specifically help address invasive species. They include:

• LD 2141, which provides $2 million for the Invasive Aquatic Plant and Nuisance Species Fund to address aquatic plant infestations in inland waters. It also requires the Department of Environmental Protection and the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to recommend more stringent inspection protocols.
  • LD 1342 increases the cost of the sticker all motorized watercraft must display in Maine. In January 2025 and again in 2028, the cost will increase by $10 for in-state residents and $15 for out-of-state boats. The bill also reallocates the distribution of those fees so 70% goes to the Invasive Aquatic Plant and Nuisance Species Fund and the rest goes to the Lake and River Protection Fund.

LD 2141 was placed on the budget committee’s special appropriations table for discretionary funding. 

Shoreland zoning, wake boats

The other two bills target other threats to inland waters, namely shoreland zoning violations and boats that create extra large wakes. They include: 

• LD 2101, which authorizes the Maine Land Use Planning Commission and municipalities to take action on shoreland zoning ordinance or statute violations. This could include revoking a permit, claiming a lien or filing a civil action. 
  • LD 2284, which addresses impact from wake boats by prohibiting a person from operating a motorboat in less than 15 feet of water or within 300 feet of the shoreline when the craft is engaged in a wakesurfing activity. It also promotes increased safety and education.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

For @ol'cricketyand the other fine fish folks in maine.

Apr 04, 2024 | 5:34 am ET
By AnnMarie Hilton

Description
Variable-leaf milfoil. (Maine Department of Environmental Protection photo)

The Maine Legislature threw bipartisan support behind multiple bills to protect freshwater lakes and ponds in the state from burgeoning issues such as invasive species and shoreland zoning. 

“Our freshwater lakes and ponds are a core part of Maine’s identity,” said Francesca “Ches” Gundrum, advocacy director for Maine Audubon, in a news release. “The support from the Maine Legislature for these bills indicates a strong desire to keep our freshwater resources clean and healthy for our state’s wildlife and generations of Mainers to come.”

Maine Audubon, a statewide wildlife conservation organization, supported all four of the bills, which the House and Senate voted on over the past month. 

Fighting invasive species

As a result of the changing climate, invasive species, particularly Eurasian water milfoil, have increasingly crept into Maine’s fresh waterways, clogging lakes and ponds across the state. Two bills will specifically help address invasive species. They include:

• LD 2141, which provides $2 million for the Invasive Aquatic Plant and Nuisance Species Fund to address aquatic plant infestations in inland waters. It also requires the Department of Environmental Protection and the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to recommend more stringent inspection protocols.
  • LD 1342 increases the cost of the sticker all motorized watercraft must display in Maine. In January 2025 and again in 2028, the cost will increase by $10 for in-state residents and $15 for out-of-state boats. The bill also reallocates the distribution of those fees so 70% goes to the Invasive Aquatic Plant and Nuisance Species Fund and the rest goes to the Lake and River Protection Fund.

LD 2141 was placed on the budget committee’s special appropriations table for discretionary funding. 

Shoreland zoning, wake boats

The other two bills target other threats to inland waters, namely shoreland zoning violations and boats that create extra large wakes. They include: 

• LD 2101, which authorizes the Maine Land Use Planning Commission and municipalities to take action on shoreland zoning ordinance or statute violations. This could include revoking a permit, claiming a lien or filing a civil action. 
  • LD 2284, which addresses impact from wake boats by prohibiting a person from operating a motorboat in less than 15 feet of water or within 300 feet of the shoreline when the craft is engaged in a wakesurfing activity. It also promotes increased safety and education.

This is utterly tucking it to the non-resident, the fees are already ridiculously high to begin with.  Tell the residents to stop fertilizing their lawns which is a major contributor to the weed problem.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, je1946 said:

This is utterly tucking it to the non-resident, the fees are already ridiculously high to begin with.  Tell the residents to stop fertilizing their lawns which is a major contributor to the weed problem.

Or ban the chemical fertilizers to take the choice out of hands of the irresponsible.