braduhl

Bassin' Magazine, Lets Get It All Out In The Open And Talk About It.

First, let me introduce myself, I am BRAD UHL, and I have purchased BASSIN' Magazine as of Jan 1, 2012. Some of you have read the current issue, and already knew that, some don't know why they havent seen an issue in over 7 months. The Summer issue is on its way to you, and even better than the spring issue.

I have received several emails, about anything and everything bashing BASSIN' magazine on this website. I wanted to give you all a chance to not only look a gift horse in the mouth, but have a chance to talk to him as well. FACE TO FACE! Its easy behind someones back, but I'll do you one better than that, what the last owners didn't do, 918-364-4210 is our office number, and if you want to call on my dime, its 800-554-1999, or direct email to me,
. Call or email your questions or concerns.

I have been employed by this publishing company for the past 12 years, on and off. I have had several positions here, including customer service manager. Taking that into consideration when I purchased this magazine, I took in everything complaint wise that I had heard over the years and tried to correct that. Mailings of the magazine being the #1 one on the list. Other issues I am trying to address one at a time, like the print of the font is to small. No more stupid "you won a rod and reel" sweepstakes only to be in a drawing. Bringing back the "BASSIN' talk" section, hell, I one upped you, I am putting anglers like yourselves on the COVER!

You want your stories from the pro's. Ladies and Gentleman, these are not written by the pros, they are written by the pro's publicist. Paraphrasing sometimes, sometimes not. I have pros on staff, that are writing their OWN things. Pick up the new issues, take a look.

Not being published in over 7 months, left a lot of subscribers wondering where, and high and dry. I decided to fulfill remaining subscriptions, althought I didn't have too. I worked 18 hour plus days, several weeks in a row, with no salary right now, and I built this magazine from scratch, by myself, to get it out on the newsstand and in the mail to the subscribers. Is it perfect? NOPE. I know more mistakes that you, I promise. BUT! A magazine went out. And it was my first. It was on time. It is on the newsstands, AND mailed to ALL current subscribers. Each one will get better, and adding over 3500 new subscribers since JAN just shows some of you have faith. The next issue will be even better. There are several new sections in the magazines, and more are coming. Big changes including an updated website, facebook is open and you can friend BASSIN' there, and twitter.

So I read a thread, of BASSIN' has a new "GIMMICK" Well let me assure you its not gimmick, and other posters here that have ordered have verified. Yes, I am selling a lifetime subscription for $99, and you can be on the cover, have your BASSIN' story published, receive a very large tackle pack, and other benefits. And you get a lifetime to CRAPPIE WORLD included. Both magazines for $99. True story, search the forums and see.

I am here to publish this magazine, and make it the best ever. I have seen it in its prime, and unlike others, I do not golf and use this magazine to fund my other hobby, I am an angler, just like all of you. Comments and complaints and suggestions are absolutly welcome! But be ready for the truth. If you don't think you will like the answer, don't ask. I am an angler, I am one of you. I will treat you the way you treat me!

Thank you,

BRAD UHL

First of all welcome to the forum !!!

I was waiting for you to chime in at one point or another, lol.

I am not a current subscriber, but knowing who is in charge of the mag now it looks to be on a much better path than the recent past, the mag in the years past was hard to beat, it sounds like you have a great plan layed down and I wish you nothing but success, all of those long hours and day's will pay off in the very near future.

Good luck and God bless !!!

Mumpy, thanx for the info !!!

Wish you much luck, but to quote Egon Spengler "print is dead"

Thanks for the post... I had wondered where my "missing issue" was. :Idontknow: I'm looking forward to getting the new issue(s) and seeing all the improvements you're making.

FWIW, I always enjoy those "Readers' Tips" sections! :pray:

I'll have to see if I have the $99.00 for the lifetime subscripion. How long will that offer be in effect (Father's Day is coming up!)?

Bob

I'm willing to bet this guy has an Apple sticker on his car.

• Like 1

nope it just smells funny

Yes, I am selling a lifetime subscription for $99

So does that mean I get 4 issues instead of 3?

I have been a subscriber twice in the past with the same results both times. I'll get something like 2 issues one month, another one 3 months later, and never see another. I hope things change because I think it's one of the more informative publications out there. I'm weary about subscribing again. Best of luck and maybe one day I'll come back.

First, let me introduce myself, I am BRAD UHL, and I have purchased BASSIN' Magazine as of Jan 1, 2012. Some of you have read the current issue, and already knew that, some don't know why they havent seen an issue in over 7 months. The Summer issue is on its way to you, and even better than the spring issue.

I have received several emails, about anything and everything bashing BASSIN' magazine on this website. I wanted to give you all a chance to not only look a gift horse in the mouth, but have a chance to talk to him as well. FACE TO FACE! Its easy behind someones back, but I'll do you one better than that, what the last owners didn't do, 918-364-4210 is our office number, and if you want to call on my dime, its 800-554-1999, or direct email to me,
. Call or email your questions or concerns.

I have been employed by this publishing company for the past 12 years, on and off. I have had several positions here, including customer service manager. Taking that into consideration when I purchased this magazine, I took in everything complaint wise that I had heard over the years and tried to correct that. Mailings of the magazine being the #1 one on the list. Other issues I am trying to address one at a time, like the print of the font is to small. No more stupid "you won a rod and reel" sweepstakes only to be in a drawing. Bringing back the "BASSIN' talk" section, hell, I one upped you, I am putting anglers like yourselves on the COVER!

You want your stories from the pro's. Ladies and Gentleman, these are not written by the pros, they are written by the pro's publicist. Paraphrasing sometimes, sometimes not. I have pros on staff, that are writing their OWN things. Pick up the new issues, take a look.

Not being published in over 7 months, left a lot of subscribers wondering where, and high and dry. I decided to fulfill remaining subscriptions, althought I didn't have too. I worked 18 hour plus days, several weeks in a row, with no salary right now, and I built this magazine from scratch, by myself, to get it out on the newsstand and in the mail to the subscribers. Is it perfect? NOPE. I know more mistakes that you, I promise. BUT! A magazine went out. And it was my first. It was on time. It is on the newsstands, AND mailed to ALL current subscribers. Each one will get better, and adding over 3500 new subscribers since JAN just shows some of you have faith. The next issue will be even better. There are several new sections in the magazines, and more are coming. Big changes including an updated website, facebook is open and you can friend BASSIN' there, and twitter.

So I read a thread, of BASSIN' has a new "GIMMICK" Well let me assure you its not gimmick, and other posters here that have ordered have verified. Yes, I am selling a lifetime subscription for $99, and you can be on the cover, have your BASSIN' story published, receive a very large tackle pack, and other benefits. And you get a lifetime to CRAPPIE WORLD included. Both magazines for $99. True story, search the forums and see.

I am here to publish this magazine, and make it the best ever. I have seen it in its prime, and unlike others, I do not golf and use this magazine to fund my other hobby, I am an angler, just like all of you. Comments and complaints and suggestions are absolutly welcome! But be ready for the truth. If you don't think you will like the answer, don't ask. I am an angler, I am one of you. I will treat you the way you treat me!

Thank you,

BRAD UHL

Thanks for the information Brad. I have picked up copies of Bassin' magazine in the past and hated the fact that it was only published once in a blue moon. I think anglers like to see new magazines at least every other month which makes it worthwhile to subscribe to. I did pick up a copy of your new magazine and I was impressed with what you said you were wanting to make it. I believe you can make a go of it and if you provide alot of information in each issue, I will definitely become a subscriber. Keep us up to date and it would be great if you could have at least 6 issues per year.

I always liked the magazine, but dropped it many years ago. My reason was not because of the magazine content, but what I perceived as heavy pressure and deceptive selling tactics. Like sending an invoice for the renewal after the first issue of the current subscription and things along those lines. It would've been very easy to keep renewing unwittingly if one didn't pay attention to the details.

I'd consider it again under new management.

Print may be dead, bit I'm one old-fashioned guy who'd rather leaf through a book or magazine on a comfortable couch rather than sit in front of a monitor.

• Like 1

Picked it up.Lookin good.Looking forward to the coming issues.

1. Super.
    Bassin' was the best bass magazine on the market.
    Hope Brad can bring it back.

I enjoy Bassin' and have purchased quite a few issues in the past. The only thing I noticed in the last magazine was a large number of grammatical and spelling errors. Of course, these are minor as I was able to get the info no problem. It does add to the "quality" of the magazine though. Good luck and will be waiting for the next issue to hit the rack.

Mike

It has been a number of years since I picked up an issue of Bassin magazine. A very long time ago, I subscribed once and didn't renew.

The reason my interest in this magazine waned at the time was that it seemed to me that magazine management was primarily interested in pimping products and had a passing secondary interest in conveying fishing information.

Don't get me wrong, I like advertisements. I like to look at pictures, get ideas for new stuff that's available and I understand that magazines don't get published without advertising. My issue was more on the content side, which to me seemed like it was all about pimping product as well.

Brad, I'm pretty certain that there is a happy medium between pimping products and conveying useful fishing information in an entertaining and informative manner. I hope you find it.

All magazines will change over time. I can recall the old mid 70's era Fishing Facts magazines, where a product would be mentioned once or twice and that was it. I can recall the old In-Fisherman magazine, when the Lindners owned it. Thick 150 page + magazines that would have a place on your magazine pile for months. I recall 15 page articles on the principles of spinnerbaits and why you'd choose one blade over another. Now, some conglomerate owns In-fisherman and the magazines are much thinner now.

For the record, I do remember that both these magazines mentioned were multi-species oriented and that there were many articles that didn't especially apply to me. I was motivated to seriously upgrade my catfish gear, which I religiously use once or twice a year. Now I'm rambling, so I'll stop.

Anyway, good luck on your publishing endeavor. I will look for it on the news stand and pick up the next several issues.

For the most part, print is dead, but for some things, it is alive and well. Fishing magazines are one of those things. I'm not keeping a Kindle or iPad in the drawer of the "Oval Office," but it is a place for Bassmaster and the Cabela's catalog.

Brad, I'm am very happy to hear that you are willing to take on such a difficult task. You have a tall hill to climb my friend. Bassin' always was top on my list of informative magazines but I always had to buy them at the news stand when I could find them. You see, I am also a victim of the Bassin' of the past. Several years ago I subscribed for two years and all I saw were the first issue and the last one asking my to renew. To me, it is a breath of fresh air to hear that someone stepped up to the plate to fix it and that is why I'm going to forget the past and subscribe again. Thanks

• Like 1

I have subscribed for years, and I as well would be missing issues, almost every one in fact. I would see the newest one on the newstand, and have to call to get mine mailed out. I sure hope this trend is reversed. As far as you being the nice guy and fulfilling current subscribers orders, I would hope that I would continue to get the product I paid up front for, if not, you will probably lose me forever.

I'm willing to bet this guy has an Apple sticker on his car.

You'd loose that bet,.....nice hat.....

Will buy this off the news stand until it proves to be worth a subscription.

• Like 1

Both magazines of interest to me. However, I think I will go the newstand route until I feel confident in their content and character. I will you good travels with your endeavor.

• Like 1

Like others I have subscribed twice in the past and only received a couple issues. For the last few years I just buy it on the newsstand when I can find it. Other then that it would be nice to know how many issues you are actually supposed to get per year. That info should be on your site right next to the cost or at least somewhere on the sign up page so we know what we are buying. For all we know $15.99 buys you one issue and a renewal card.

• Like 2

Not if you're using a PC it ain't! Even a flat panel would be hard to get in the bathroom at my house!

I am a previous subscriber also. Extremely unhappy with my past experience, but loved the magazine when I got one.

What is going to be different this time?

How many issues per year?

When are we supposed to get them?

Why would I want a lifetime subscription to something that my not be around next year?

Brad -- First and foremost I hope you actually come back to this site and read and reply to the comments. I, like most of us here, have read or subscribed to Bassin' at some point in time. It's was a decent publication with obvious flaws. Flaws which you "tried to correct." I hope success find you on that front; however...

I read your post and honestly I was more put off then sold on a better product. Either my understanding of idioms is not as good as I thought or your post has some confusing and honestly pretencious statements. Now, I am not here to "troll" but at the same time, I am not one to be lulled into agreeing with someone simply because they said to...

I have a few questions from what I've read so far. "I wanted to give you all a chance to not only look a gift horse in the mouth, but have a chance to talk to him as well." Gift horse? What because you bought a struggling magazine and intend on making it better? I'm confused on that statement, but following it with a full on all caps "FACE TO FACE!" then lipping off that it's easy behind ones back etc... what are you trying to gain with that? You were in marketing, and you think thats ok? I will conceed that offering to talk over issues on the phone is nice, and I certainly hope you maintain that promise.

You then talk about buying the magazine...again... and some of the things you will be doing, such as putting common anglers on the cover. That's certainly a good strategy, and I find it impressive that you are willing to do that. Granted, it saves you a ton of money; but the spin of putting "angelrs like yourselves" definately sounds better. And honestly, I think that's cool regardless of the motivation. But you immediately go from there to educating your readers on how things really work. "You want your stories from the pro's. Ladies and Gentleman, these are not written by the pros"... again, a bit offputting in my personal opinion. Perhaps, just not well put... so maybe that was just not the best way to say it, vs an attitude of supremecy based on your knowledge of press and publishing.

However, you fired another salvo and hit dead on with "I decided to fulfill remaining subscriptions, althought I didn't have too." Wow, that was awlfully nice of you to fulfill subcriptions that your readers had already paid for instead of just keeping thier money. Really? Did I just read that correctly??? FROM THE NEW OWNER!? Yes, unfortuantly I did... You are really going above and beyond by giving people what they subscribed to. Go you. Now, the statement is obviously true, you did not have to; but why on gods green earth would you even say that?

THEN, you start whining about how hard it is, and that you worked 18 hour days, you're getting no salary, and made the magazine from scatch, etc. Oh woe is me... Ok, let's recap, you JUST BOUGHT A MAGAZINE! I don't think any of us are going to buy into a poor Mr. Uhl. Does working 18 hours suck, sure it does. But before you complain about it like this, think about your core audience. Most of the readership is likely "working stiffs" who regualary work long shifts. Demographics indicate your average income is just under 75K average for your readers, with a median age of 48. Now, how many of those readers do you think would have the cash on hand to purchase a magazine? I would wager only a small percentage. And I would wager that an even SMALLER percentage feel the least bit sorry for you about having to work long shifts... come on...

I did, however, like the fact that you do admit there are things you can do better, that is a refreshing change from the entirety of the post so far, and the fact that you made a mistake while talking about making mistakes was entertaining and felt somewhat as if karma was helping prove a point. Then you go on talking about your great success of getting the magazine out, which I'm sure to you was a success. To the subcriber, its an expectation...plain and simple. I will, however, offer praise on an overt guarentee to make the magazine better. That is at least hopeful.

I then saw your rant on the gimmick but by then I was so off put that I paid little mind to it, but if you do succeed with the magazine then the $99's is well worth it... "True story, search teh forums and see." Kind of an odd statement to make in a forum where you are posting about the same thing... Not a big deal, but by this point it's just more "bleh" to read. You then go on to throw others under the bus because they did other things, and ran the magazine. I agree, someone who is vested in the content generally does a better job keeping the content relavent; however, I cannot say that makes the biggest difference. Realistically most poeple are less concerned with what the owner does, and more about what's between the covers. But, it is always a plus to have an owner angler in a fishing publication. Old In-Fisherman proved the power of truely vested owners.

Now, you closed with "I will treat you how you treat me!". I thought I misread that... so I looked again. No, I didn't. So, this leaves me wondering... how did "everyone" treat you so that you thought the best way to help "your" magazine succeed was to come to multiple forums, post the same post and be an arrogant narcassist talking down to not only your current subscribers, but any potential subscribers??? Seriously, and you are IN MARKETING??!

Yes, I said the SAME EXACT POST, True story, search the forums and see... or just go here... (http://www.crappie.c...t-out-open.html). Ok, it is not 100% identical, you did use find and replace to put in "Bassin" instead of "Crappie World."

Now, to those who have offered support of Brad, please do not take this as an insult to you whatsoever. I just found it amazingly outrageous that the new owner would post anything like this and expect it to be met with favor! I honestly hope he does follow through and is able to salvage the magazine. Heck, I hope he takes the time to come back and at least reply to some of your posts which he hasn't replied to yet.

And, after completely bashing your post, Brad, I will even go one further than you. I will go buy your next issue, although every bone in my body is completely against it just in princapal alone, just to see how it turns out now that you have a few issues of "Crappie" and "Bassin" under your belt and hopefully have gotten the hang using some of the new stuff that you've bought "on your dime". If the publications turn out consistently, and turn out well, I may consider subscribing again... but you, sir, have a lot of ground to recover both from this post and from the history of "Bassin' " itself. Good luck! Hopefully things turn out well for you!

• Like 3