Kyle Mahaffey

A Newbie Needs Help With His Setups.

I need some help with set ups with my three rods. I don't know if it will help but I shore/bank fish.

Baitcaster- 6'6'' med-heavy rod. with 10# fluro. Since I have never used a baitcaster this is my learner one, so I didn't spend a ton of money on it because I didn't know if I would like it. Still can't cast way far with it but I'm getting better.

Spinning-6'6'' med rod with 6# fluro. I know this has a fast action rod. Both Rod/reel is Abu Garcia. I like this one the most and I have used this with my soft plasic/swimbaits.

Spinning-6'6'' med rod with 6# mono. I was givin this for a birthday gift. Its a Shakespear combo. Haven't use this that much but same

set up as the first spinning set up.

Any help would be good.

What kind of help are you looking for?

What action is the Shakespear rod? Might be able to use that for cranks. If you fish jigs of any size, then try them on the baitcasting setup. It should do well with spinnerbaits as well. I'm guessing you don't throw much weight since most of your fishing is done with 6 lb. line. If the action of the MH rod isn't too fast, you probably could use it for deep cranks. Could anyway, but would have to be a little more careful how you handle the fish once on.

I'm trying to become a more rounded fisherman, but there are tons of guys on here better qualified to give you advice. It might help if you gave actions of the other 2 rods, and give a more extensive list of the types of baits you fish.

Fast. Right now, I'm just messing around with the setups, to find a perfect set up for me. Granted I can use any lure on any rod, but I'm trying to get the facts on which one would be better suited for handling the bass once its on. I know catching a bass in the weeds on a tex rigged BC is better than a spinning rig, plus it seems that the BC can support a buzzbait with its higher ratio. Weightless or tx worms with little to no weeds is a lot better with my abu garcia rigged. I haven't thrown a crank bait, or a jig. I thrown a couple of spinning baits with both but haven't figured out which one is better. I'm just looking for info so it can save me some time since I can't spend to much time fishing.

plus it seems that the BC can support a buzzbait with its higher ratio.

This is not necessarily true. Spinning reels often have larger spool diameters than baitcasters and may retrieve more line per turn of the handle than a baitcaster with a higher ratio.

I can only comment on the way I fish, which seems to be different than the consensus on here, that said I'm pleased with my results.

For freshwater it's strictly spinning gear and braided line, I am not into technique specific equipment. The rods and reels I use are dependent on just a few factors, I don't over analyze it. Heavier baits get heavier rods and reels, bigger target species get bigger rods and reels, heavier slop, heavier rod to pull them out. Open water, as light as I can get away with, but again the lure weight and species dictate the equipment. I pay little attention to ipt and gear ratio, being a spinning man my retrieves are always different, pauses, jerks, twitches, been doing this for 60 years, had no idea I was finesse fishing until I read it on here a few years ago, lol. I keep things just as simple and easy as I can.

For enthusiasts, technique specific gear is fun

to collect. However, three rigs cover all the

basics:

#1 6 1/2' or 7' MH baitcaster for jigs, some

soft plastics and spinnerbaits

#2 6 1/2' or 7' MM baitcaster for treble hook

lures

#3 7' MF spinning rod for lighter lures and a

variety of techniques