Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Krahenbil

What Baits To Use When Smallmouth Fishing

hey guys i have never been smallmouth bass fishing i am going soon how do you fish smallmouth?

The same things you use for largemouth work for smallies.

I live right by Lake St Clair here in Michigan. It's arguably one of the best smallmouth bass fisheries in the world. Lipless cranks like Rat-L-Tralps and XR50's from Hitek work great for me. My next favorite baits for smallies are 4" tube jigs, 4" Senko worms that are wacky rigged, and white spinnerbaits ........to answer your question rather briefly.

Look for sunken rocks/boulders or weedline edges in a depth of 8.0 to 10.5 this time of year. Your lake may have different structure. The largemouth bass on St. Clair are usually found in heavier cover like grass, pencil reeds, and pads in 2.5 to 6.5 feet of water. Smalles (unless spawning) like slightly deeper water.

Lots of variables, but do carry some 1/8 - 1/4 oz. ball head jigs and a variety of 3" - 5" curly tail grubs. I've caught more smallies on a 1/8 oz. ball head with a 3" white curly tail than all the rest of the thousands of dollars worth of gear in my tackle boxes. ;)

Fishing a lake or river?

Regardless....you cant go wrong throwing the following: tube jigs, curly tail grubs, weightless texas rigged senko, wacky rigged senko, flukes, topwaters of all types.