deep

Jerkbait Help/ Advice

Use a jerkbait that will suspend above the weeds, or around the edges.  I didn't use them much until this fall.

When the crank bite stopped and the water was cooled down quite a bit,,,,,,low 40's, I switched to a jerkbait to slow it down AND keep it at the level the bass were at and had some great days. 

I always get a little action from them but never can say Ive done well with them.

If I made myself fish them more, Im sure Id do better. Do they seem to work better on a bright or cloudy day ? Calm or windy ?

I've had my best success with them in water with decent clarity, clouds or sun hasn't mattered.

Thanks. Think Im going to go with only my jerkbaits and see what happens. Kind of excited about a new challenge.

I know how they love plastics around here so itll be fun to try something they havent seen much. I plan to rig 2-3 different ones up and alternate until I see what they want.

I'll report back. Will probably go later today or tomorrow.

I would not hesitate to go with a floating JB and/or add 1 heavier treble to run it just below the  surface

• Like 1

Well, I tried several jerkbaits for several hours today. I was not skunked, but not by much. I caught these 2 on a small gold rapala, both with a moderate speed retrieve. Tried every kind of retrieve I could think of. No wakes, no blow ups , no misses. Even the fish that bit did not hit it very hard  ( of course their size may have been a factor ) I diligently cleaned all the weeds off after every other cast. Even tried lipless crankbaits with no sucess. At least I did not turn to my plastics like normal.

Think this is driving me to live bait before the end of the week 🤔large.20181226_140908-966x1288.jpg.6f50b0cb6b043fff3f6390a521d0465e.jpglarge.20181226_155156-966x1288.jpg.27e9c0aa1f993d8583a6c28b8f781649.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:44 PM, N Florida Mike said:

I always get a little action from them but never can say Ive done well with them.

If I made myself fish them more, Im sure Id do better. Do they seem to work better on a bright or cloudy day ? Calm or windy ?

I have caught bass in all the conditions you mentioned but prefer days with low to moderate wind for jerkbait fishing. A good jerk bait to use is a Rapala X Rap. Choose the size and color you feel will work best in the area you fish.

2 hours ago, N Florida Mike said:

Well, I tried several jerkbaits for several hours today. I was not skunked, but not by much. I caught these 2 on a small gold rapala, both with a moderate speed retrieve. Tried every kind of retrieve I could think of. No wakes, no blow ups , no misses. Even the fish that bit did not hit it very hard  ( of course their size may have been a factor ) I diligently cleaned all the weeds off after every other cast. Even tried lipless crankbaits with no sucess. At least I did not turn to my plastics like normal.

Think this is driving me to live bait before the end of the week 🤔large.20181226_140908-966x1288.jpg.6f50b0cb6b043fff3f6390a521d0465e.jpglarge.20181226_155156-966x1288.jpg.27e9c0aa1f993d8583a6c28b8f781649.jpg

That looks like a good choice. You can get some bigger jerkbaits in that color and try them out for a bigger bite. Keep fishing with jerkbaits until you feel more confident in this lure. They are great lures and have there place and time they do best.

I was suprised I didnt do better. The lake is full of quality fish, and I thought they would be all over it. It has been colder recently up here though , I had bluebird skys , I had a brisk wind in the more open parts of the lake, and the sheltered areas were full of floating leaves, etc, so it was harder to not have the leaves get caught nearly every cast. Like I said, I fished a variety of baits and presentations, and depths but the fish just werent active. 

Was taught to fish jerkbaits as a kid in the rivers with more of a power fishing retrieve.  Jerk jerk, reeling all the while, jerk, and so on.

Recently having good success with 1-5 second pauses beginning this fall.  During the jerk, rip, slash, whatever you want to call it, I can feel bites just fine.

During the pause, I feel like I'm missing fish with a lot of slack in my line for a true, stationary pause.

Recently I've been carefully maintaining my slack with a slow reel/sideways pull to maintain contact when I cannot see my line.  My lure is barely inching forward, almost imperceptibly to me.

Is that correct?  It's been working.

2 hours ago, Hook2Jaw said:

Was taught to fish jerkbaits as a kid in the rivers with more of a power fishing retrieve.  Jerk jerk, reeling all the while, jerk, and so on.

Recently having good success with 1-5 second pauses beginning this fall.  During the jerk, rip, slash, whatever you want to call it, I can feel bites just fine.

During the pause, I feel like I'm missing fish with a lot of slack in my line for a true, stationary pause.

Recently I've been carefully maintaining my slack with a slow reel/sideways pull to maintain contact when I cannot see my line.  My lure is barely inching forward, almost imperceptibly to me.

Is that correct?  It's been working.

There is no wrong way to work a jerk bait. Try what ever you think will work. Just remember your successes & continue to repeat them.