Sign in to follow this  
Arv

What Is Your 50/51E Spooled With?

I'm pairing a Curado 51e with a Dobyns Champion 702c. I plan on using it for drop shotting, shakey heads, light jigs, split shot rigs, etc. Should I treat this like a spinning reel and go 10# or less for these applications, or can I get away with 12#? I'm planning on using some kind of fluorocarbon, probably Seagur Invizx. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

12 lb is fine. I use 10 on one and 12 on two others.

I use 8 lb yo zuri on my finesse bc setup. I currently have 12 lb yo zuri on my 50e's.

I have 2, one with 20lb Power Pro, one with 30.

Curado 50E is spooled with 12# YoZuri. Chronarch 50E is spooled with 50# Power Pro.

If you're dropshotting, I'd probably go 10#.

I have 10# on a core that I use for dropshotting and shakeyheads and it seems to do well. I feel like the lighter line helps pitch and cast lighter baits.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and got 10# Sunline Sniper plus some other stuff with the TW bogo sale going on. Plus some NSCB hair jigs :respect-059:

For those applications, 8-10# copoly or fluoro would work well.

For finesse tactics I personally wouldn’t go higher than 8# and or the lightest I can get away with, also I wouldn’t be using a bait casting setup for finesse tactics. For me when I go finesse it’s mainly because the fish don’t want anything else/large, so my rig would be 6-8# Seagur AbrazX flouro on a spinning setup, light, small baits, hard to see line, in your face small food so eat me. But this is just in my small neck of the woods..

Have that very same set-up. Love that Dobyns Rod!!

Currently have #10 Yozuri Hybrid.....does really well. I fish lots of wood. Bank has snags, trees, limbs. Need the Yozuri to pull loose. I could probably use #8. The Sniper should be perfect. I'm currently trying out the Sunline Biwako Professional Guide series in #8 on another reel. I may end up putting that line on the 50E since it casts so very well!

Don't you think the COLOR scheme of that rod and reel match well!

Have that very same set-up. Love that Dobyns Rod!!

Currently have #10 Yozuri Hybrid.....does really well. I fish lots of wood. Bank has snags, trees, limbs. Need the Yozuri to pull loose. I could probably use #8. The Sniper should be perfect. I'm currently trying out the Sunline Biwako Professional Guide series in #8 on another reel. I may end up putting that line on the 50E since it casts so very well!

Don't you think the COLOR scheme of that rod and reel match well!

Yeah man! I think the grey/blue/black will go nice with the Curado. Hard to find rods that will match that green well. I can't wait till everything finally gets here. Its always encouraging to hear that you picked out a good set up, haha. I haven't been out in a few weeks so this will be a nice combo to get back out on the water.

It matches the DX or champion extreme series nicely from a color perspective.

I would say put 8 or 10 pound invisix or sniper in the reel for those techniques.

I think the best thing about the 50Es is that they are so sturdy and so light. I use they on my bubba drop shot set-ups with 20 lb Seaguar Abrazax. Works great - remember to give it a shot of Line Magic from time to time. That Abrazax is tough stuff. I've gotten rigs stuck and rather than tear up my fingers yanking on the line, I wrapped line around a boat cleat and backed it off with the trolling motor. Several times I've gotten my whole rig back because I broke the branch I was stuck on,