russe048

Deep Diving Crankbaits For Pre-Spawn Bass

I went out on the lake here in Alabama expecting to see some bass getting ready to spawn and in the beginning stages of moving to shallower water. I fished a few hours with squarebills, lipless cranks, and even flipped around grass and couldnt get a bite. I decided to move to the deeper water and I caught 20 within an hour. I found a deep school and used a deep diving crankbait and caught several nice bass. I posted a link showing some of the bass below. It was fun but I still can't wait for them move shallow!

I went out on the lake here in Alabama expecting to see some bass getting ready to spawn and in the beginning stages of moving to shallower water. I fished a few hours with squarebills, lipless cranks, and even flipped around grass and couldnt get a bite. I decided to move to the deeper water and I caught 20 within an hour. I found a deep school and used a deep diving crankbait and caught several nice bass. I posted a link showing some of the bass below. It was fun but I still can't wait for them move shallow!

Good stuff. Can't wait for the shallow bite, too. Waiting for the dogwood trees to bloom here in VA = Spawn!!

• Like 1

Nice vid and nice fish russ, congrats on both.

This happes often in the early stages of pre-spawn up here.  Sometime the fish will move shallow and back more than once during mid-day so I always keep a deep probing presentation rigged  on a rod.  As I fish natural lakes almost exclusively, that move to deeper water is mostly verticle and when I'm unsure of their location I'll position my boat on the shallow side of a drop off and cast to the deep water bringing it up into the shallow flat. 

I must say that when I contact them in the deep water, I've never thought of running a deep diving crank. Sounds like a great way to load the boat quickly.

BTW, the link didn't show up when I opened your post.

Nice footage, looked like a fun day on the water! I recognized your username on here from YouTube, I have seen a lot of your vids. Keep up the good work. 

Wow. I thought I was the only one that didn't palm their bait caster. Is that a 5xd or 6 you're using???