Sign in to follow this  
jiggin_it

Wilson Lake, Al

I'm headed to Wilson this weekend and have never seen the lake before.  I'll be putting in at Lock Six on the south side of shoal creek.  Just by looking at the maps it seems like it would be a good time of year to head up into Shoal Creek for the shallows and early morning bite.  I know earlier in April the tailwater below Wheeler Dam was really producing, but I am wanting to keep fuel consumption to a minimum, so I didn't know if it would be worth it because I haven't heard anything lately on that part of the lake.  If anyone could point me in a productive direction, I would appreciate it.

The lake is only 15 miles long, so regardless of where you put in, it's not that far to anywhere.

I have not fished Wilson this year, but everyone says the dam is hot. A word of warning: Pick

out some other areas to fish in addition to the dam. It can be too crowded up there to have fun.

well is shoal creek productive.  i talked to a guy who said you can spend an entire day just in there, but if its not productive then i dont want to waste the day.  and the guy im fishing with doesnt really want to fish around the dam due to horror stories he has heard about the boulders and tearing up boats.  i didnt know if the fish would be up shallow or not with this up and down weather we have been having.

Have not been on the lake in a few weeks. The dam bite has been hot.

Shoals creek goes for a long way. If I did go to shoals creek I would fish Tate slough (good spawning pocket) and Brush creek slough.

Another option since you are putting in at Lock 6 Is to fish the first big creek on the North side of the lake as you are leaving the boat ramp. It is called six mile creek. After I checked there I would go up one more to the next big creek called 4 mile.

Shoal creek docks this time of year usually equal a good day of fishing but if they aren't on that too good throw a spoon at the bridge might be a bunch of shorties but there's usually a 4 plus smallie swimming around those pilings somewhere

we stayed in the first big cove on the left in shoal creek all day.  caught a lot of fish but the decent sized ones were spaced out about every hour.  caught a 4.5 lb largemouth and a 3 lb smallie though.  the rain wasnt as bad as predicted so all in all it was a good day

we were there today, it was slow for bass but we caught a bunch of shad at the dam, a couple sun fish, a 2 pound smally and some little LMB. we will be on Wheeler the rest of the week. we did catch about a 5# LMB and 2# smally from shore this afternoon in wheeler.