russe048

Top Water Frog Video

It's that time of year in Alabama where the top water fishing is at its best. I love to throw the Spro popping frog because you can fish it through the grass and pop it in open water. I caught some big bass on it last weekend and wanted to share with you all in the video below.

http://youtu.be/XHE_FMI0eig

I watched this the other day in the youtube stream, definitely made me want to go out and buy some more poppin frogs. Awesome vid.

Looks like you are setting the hook to the side, do you have many missed hook sets? Reason I ask is that I am just learning frogs and read if you don't set over your head you miss more, but to the side is more natural for me. Thanks and great fish and videos!

Looks like you are setting the hook to the side, do you have many missed hook sets? Reason I ask is that I am just learning frogs and read if you don't set over your head you miss more, but to the side is more natural for me. Thanks and great fish and videos!

In open water I don't think it matters that much which direction you set the hook. When fishing thick grass or mats however you do need to use the over the head 12 o'clock set so you get their head turned and coming out of the cover. Just my experiences anyway. 

russe048, I've watched a few of your frog vids, great job by the way, but I did have one question. Why do you never use braid for frogs? I find it SO much easier to cast, work/walk, and set the hook using braid so I was just curious as to why you never use it. Thanks in advance for your reply and keep those frog vids coming.

It's that time of year in Alabama where the top water fishing is at its best. I love to throw the Spro popping frog because you can fish it through the grass and pop it in open water. I caught some big bass on it last weekend and wanted to share with you all in the video below.

http://youtu.be/XHE_FMI0eig

:jaw-drop:  :jaw-drop:  :jaw-drop:

Russe048, Love your videos. I have been watching them for a long time. I didn't know you were on this forum lol..

In open water I don't think it matters that much which direction you set the hook. When fishing thick grass or mats however you do need to use the over the head 12 o'clock set so you get their head turned and coming out of the cover. Just my experiences anyway. 

russe048, I've watched a few of your frog vids, great job by the way, but I did have one question. Why do you never use braid for frogs? I find it SO much easier to cast, work/walk, and set the hook using braid so I was just curious as to why you never use it. Thanks in advance for your reply and keep those frog vids coming.

Braid has it's advantages and disadvantages. The only time I ever use it is when I am fishing areas with lots of grass and matt, because you need that extra strength to pull them out of it. The main reason I do not use it is because from my experience, I don't catch as many of the really big bass when I use it, and I think its because they can see the line. Braid does help with hook sets and walking the bait, but a good technique makes more difference than the line. Since i'm always fishing for those big girls, I just need to get them to bite, and I will take my chances with the mono after that.

russ, How do you like that Duckett for froggin?

and what duckett is that?

I love the Duckett's, I have two of them but this one was a 7'10" Duckett Extra Heavy

Great vids Russe I watch all your videos on my YouTube channel

Braid has it's advantages and disadvantages. The only time I ever use it is when I am fishing areas with lots of grass and matt, because you need that extra strength to pull them out of it. The main reason I do not use it is because from my experience, I don't catch as many of the really big bass when I use it, and I think its because they can see the line. Braid does help with hook sets and walking the bait, but a good technique makes more difference than the line. Since i'm always fishing for those big girls, I just need to get them to bite, and I will take my chances with the mono after that.

Ok, sounds logical. Thanks for answering.