Im looking to buy a Pflueger President 6900 or a Abu Garcia Cardinal SXT, or something around that price range with good quality, something inbetween beginner and expert. I just wondered what im looking for while looking for reels and rods for that matter, Like the number of ball bearings, gear ratio, drag system, why the cost varies so much? Would you guys recommend these two reels?

Also, what rod should I pair it with? I know I want a 7' two piece, but I dont know what would fit those reels and stuff?

What does the action refer too?

Thanks for the help, I know there is alot of questions I asked but I want to understand everything about the charateristics of everything.

Ask me any other info about what I should get to help you out too.

I bought a Pflueger 6935 a few months ago and I'm quite pleased with it. A 7' rod with medium power and fast action will serve you well for a wide variety of lures and techniques.

but I dont know what would fit those reels and stuff?

Balance your tackle. That means using rod, reel, lure and line that are compatible with each other. For example, a reel rated for 6-8-10# line would probably match well with a rod rated for 6--12# line. If you're concerned about fitting, literally, take your reel with you before you buy a rod to make sure it fits the reel seat. However, the odds are 95%+ that this wouldn't be necessary.

• Like 1

I agree with what Marty said. To add to his post, I own 3 Pfluegers a President 6920, Templar 6935 and President XT 6940. All are excellent and will serve you well for a number of years, very much worth the price. Rods there are too many good ones to list that fit what Marty mentioned. Find one that you like grip style and weight wise.

• Like 2

Okay thanks for the incite. Btw, what does four-digit number refer to in the name of the reel? such as 6900, 6920, 6935...?

First two digits are the model, second two are the size. 6920 is the smallest of the series and 6940 is the largest.

Don't get mislead by the number of bearings.  Some reels have less bearings and are as smooth or smoother than reels with more of them.  Any bearing has the potential to go bad, having less in a reel means there is less of chance of one needeing to be replaced.  I've yet to have a bad bearing in any $50-100 freshwater spinning reel, but it can happen.  I may not repair a sub $ 75 reel unless I did the work myself with parts, labor and maybe shipping I'd just buy a new one.

I have two presidents, wood handle & new version. Super smooth & a great reel for the price!