Glenn

---> Senko FAQ - LOOK HERE FIRST!! <---

A question about the senko color junebug. Did the change the name to purple w/emerald flake? Cause everyone I go that's all I see and when went to Dick's the upc match the junebugs?? I'm just wondering and curious.

thanks, appreciate the info!!!

Its funny with my first year of having success with using senko type baits. For some reason I thought i had the holy grail of bass fishing when i has so much success when the weather changed from spring to summer. Every senkos I wacky rigged on a carolina setup and twitched I caught fish. For some reason my success has slowed down and i'm not sure why? I'm not sure if they picked up and learned my presentation/bait or my scents. But the fish did learn something from me because they have backed off from the senko's. Remember I fish the same three places everyday, i'm in the same spot. Well Its time to read and learn for next season i guess. I'm going to try harder next year.  No question here its about staying focused and motivated and not giving up.

Hey man, try rigging a senko seedless style on a 4/0 gamakatsu weighted hook. Let it sink and then add a quick twitch or two with the tip of your rod. This makes the senko dance and grab their attention then it falls. After twitching, slowly reel up only your slack and pause, a lot of times the bass will sneak up on it and wait till it is down for the count, then, with my experience, they tear it up. When you catch one, cast te se plase on the next cast. I too fish the same three spots every day and this is my go to bait. I have fished many days and caught 15-20 bass over 1.5lbs within 2-3houra using this method. Also, Strike king green pumpkin with black specks seem to work just as good but holdup to the harshness of the fish bites so I don't have to change baits as often, the yammamoto's seem to tear up and render unusable after 2 catches max.

Hope this helps, tight lines to you all.

Sorry, I meant to say "weedless" style, not seedless, this darn auto correction on the iPhone messes with me sometimes.

• Like 1

VERY NICE!! Senko's are a staple in my boat! Don't leave the dock without 30 or so colors, love the fact that there is always something to learn about this versatile bait. There are many brands out there but Gary Yamamoto is by far head and shoulders above the competition.

What a great resource on senkos. I have only been fishing for about a year intensely and have NEVER tried a senko. That will change the next trip out! Glenn, thank you so much for the links!

Senko fishing, I rig it on a 1/8oz brass weighted carolina rig with a clicker brass ball next to the weight. Then i put the hook in the center of the senko type bait. One point which is my best advise you'll ever get out of me is make sure your hook is big enough. I even go a tad larger on the hook to besafe. I also use the eagle claw weedless hooks too.

I lost a new state record due to the hook not large enough in my BPS 7 1/4'' stick o worm....

Try senko's if you never tried one yet. I use them in channels parallel to weedlines. So many different presentations too.

• Like 1

Man I love using senkos at dick's sporting goods they have buy 3 get 1 free I took advantage of that couple days ago

I do love using the senkos but hate the price and how easily they tear or fall off while boating a fish...

Want to thank BR. Wanted to get into fishing senkos had no clue how or why. This thread taught me how and today I caught my first two bass on senkos. Small little guys but definitely put the confidence I needed in the lure. Thanks again

I have never used Senkos but I guess I need to try em out one of these days!

I am brand new to this forum. So I will try not to be saying much. I do a lot of fishing with sinking baits. I balance the sink rate on worms from 12 inches down to small crappie jigs. I have been at this for I would guess at least 40 years. I have found that how fast or slow something drops through the water can make a big difference. You just got together out there and spend a lot of time experimenting when things do not work. I feel this is a whole system of fishing.

This is the most useful thread I have ever read on the internet! Thanks all

So I have had success with Texas Rigging the Senko, not sure what took me so long to bass fish with plastics....

I want to try and Wacky Rig this weekend and need advice as I will be going to Wal-Mart tonight to gear up

For Hooks: Brand, Type, Size, and color?.....research says 1/0 or 2/0 red Gamakatsu Octopus  but I will take any and all suggestions, plan on fishing with 5" Gary Senko and 5" Yumdingers

For Worms/Senko: late August Northern WI color suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

I use 1/0 and 2/0 Gamakatsu weedless finesse wide gap hooks for wacky rigging my Senkos.  

• Like 1

So I have had success with Texas Rigging the Senko, not sure what took me so long to bass fish with plastics....

I want to try and Wacky Rig this weekend and need advice as I will be going to Wal-Mart tonight to gear up

For Hooks: Brand, Type, Size, and color?.....research says 1/0 or 2/0 red Gamakatsu Octopus  but I will take any and all suggestions, plan on fishing with 5" Gary Senko and 5" Yumdingers

For Worms/Senko: late August Northern WI color suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Wacky rigging:

Best hooks (IMO): Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse (not carried by Walmart AFAIK). I use sizes from 2/0 down to 4. No worries with smaller hooks, hook-up ratio is excellent.

For 5" senkos I'd personally go no lower than size 1... I normally use a 1, 1/0 with 5"ers.

Don't know about colors in your neck of the woods, but natural colors tend to work best in these parts. Watermelon Magic, Green Pumpkin, etc.

thnak you for this thread, very informative. got lots of reading done and knowledge going in my head.

I agree with Bill, I fish farm ponds and would always wacky rig my senkos, I caught 25 fish one evening on the senko. But now, the bass dont even acknowledge them it seems, I've tried them weightless carolina rigged and everything in between...

This thread was very informative. I fish from the bank exclusively, typically in small community lakes in local parks. I have been learning to fish a Texas rig and have been using a weightless 4-inch Senko. My last time out I caught nine bass, my best day yet. Not sure what it is about the Senko, but it seems to have the "it" factor that is tough to describe. Whatever it is, it works on the bass in my neck of the woods. 

glad I found this, I had a lot questions about senko's but you have cleared everything up.

When do you guys throw wacky? I have confidence in t-rigging, so I always start there. Are there certain conditions you look for when you decide to throw a wacky rig? Or do you just mix it up when nothing else is working?