Glenn

---> Senko FAQ - LOOK HERE FIRST!! <---

When do you guys throw wacky? I have confidence in t-rigging, so I always start there. Are there certain conditions you look for when you decide to throw a wacky rig? Or do you just mix it up when nothing else is working?

With a senko, I wacky rig it 99% of the time. For me, T-rigging is reserved for ribbontails, lizards and creatures/craws or really anything other than a senko lol.

• Like 1

With a senko, I wacky rig it 99% of the time. For me, T-rigging is reserved for ribbontails, lizards and creatures/craws or really anything other than a senko lol.

Same for me!

• Like 1

Y'all are missing out if you never throw senkos or finesse worms t-rigged, weightless.

• Like 6

Well, after today, I am firmly on the Senko bandwagon.  These were not around when I was last fishing regularly late '80s-mid '90s).  I've been looking for a good small pond (for bank fishing) near my house for about a year, and I finally found one.  The first day was just a couple hours of throwing spinners and crankbaits to get an idea of the pond.  Nothing.  About 20 minutes of weighted Senko and tube fishing also produced nothing.  Oh well.

Today I hit the same pond, only this time early in the AM and fished an unweighted purple Senko Texas rigged, and had a bass on 4 of my first 10 casts.  I left my good casting setups at home and used a light spinning outfit with 6 lb line.  Of course my hook sets were atrocious but that's another story.  No hogs, but after about 2 hours I had caught and released about 5 1-pounders.  A pumpkinseed Senko-ish plastic also produced a few small ones.  Again, crankbaits and spinnerbaits produced nothing.

My only complaint is I went through quite a few baits this morning.  Tomorrow I'm going to throw a few different tubes and see how that goes, but I hate to say it - for today, Senkos matched the hype.

VG :blob5:

I've been having a lot of luck with color 330 lately.  Unfortunately, I only could buy one bag cause that's all that was left.

I just started fishing and senkos have caught most of the fish I've caught along with spinnerbait and a bunch of other plastics. But senkos have caught me a 6lber and a 5.3 lb. In. Two months of fishing I've caught hundreds of fish with them. All I know is they work.

The Secret To Not Losing So Many Senkos - Here's The Solution

So I've gone through about 11 packs of Senkos this year with the help of my brother and friends. At about $7.99 a bag that's $87.95 in Senkos and 110 indivual Senkos. I've found that Walmart has them cheapest standard price which is $6.99 and that sometimes Dick's Sporting Goods has them on sale for buy 1 get one 1/2 off.

Either way, it adds up. So, I tried some tips from here on how to save some Senkos. I've tried the O-Ring with O-Wacky tool, surgical tubing, Zip ties, heated shrink tubing, O-Rings crossed over each other, different types of hooks including Skip Jack Hooks, and Finesse Wide Gap Hooks, and others. Nothing really worked.

Sometimes you'd make your first cast with a Senko and see it launched off into space, or you'd land on a dock and recover your hook but the Senko was still on the dock. It was extremely frustrating and expensive, although I'm sure that Gary Yamamoto would couldn't be more pleased.

UPDATED:

Well, I finally found a solution and it is a cheap one. I didn't come up with the zip tie idea nor the vinyl tubing idea. "thebig1" is the one who showed me the tubing idea....and to give credit where it is due, I know someone else said something about it before in another thread. I've tried it on 5 trips now with other people also using it and it's worked extremely well. It's a combination of a 5" Senko, Gamakatsu 1/0 Offset Shank Worm EWG hook, and 1 small 1" inch piece of vinyl 3/8" inside diameter-1/2" outside diameter tubing (the kind you get at Menards or aquarium tubing). I've found that anything less a 1" inch piece of vinyl tubing doesn't seem to work nearly as well.

After making this thread the "thebig1" posted that vinyl tubing works better and that he's had the same Senko for 8-9 years. Well, I tried his method for 2 trips on my own and then a guys fishing weekend. We all used 5" Senko's with the vinyl tubing and worked even better than the method I had tried before with the zip ties. We caught 94 fish over the weekend, bass, northern, sunnies, rock bass, and perch and did not lose 1 Senko. I still have the Senko from that trip.

SenkoFinal1.jpg

All of the components:  1 Senko, 1 piece of vinyl tubing cut 1/2", and 1 hook of your choice.

SenkoFinal2.jpg

And the other secret....buy Senkos in bulk! lol. From some helpful posters on bassresource.com I learned that you can buy Senkos in bulk 100 packs for $54.82 at Tackle Warehouse during one of their 15% sales and get them for $46.58 which makes them $46 cents apiece versus the normal $79 cents apiece. The only sad part is that I had to order them in green pumpkin, my favorite color is cinnamon brown. The 3/8" inch vinyl tubing cost $2.86 for 10 feet. Enough to last a lifetime.

Now that the "thebig1" showed me how well vinyl tubing works, I don't know what I'm going to do with 100 Senkos. I bagged them up into 7 original packages. I already gave away a pack to my friend. So that leaves me with 6 packages left. At the rate I lose Senko's with the vinyl tubing I guess I will be giving the other bags to friends and just keep 1 or 2 for myself. Thanks "thebig1"!!!!

S-1.jpg

I've come to the acceptance that Senkos are like livebait and gas, you buy them and to get used up. It's just life (Unlike a lifetime lure like a KVD Sexy Dawg, that as long as you don't lose, you can just keep sharpening the hooks or replace the hooks and have the lure for nearly forever.)

I hope this helps some of you save some cash. Good luck and good fishin'. Try it out, it's only a $2.86 gamble and I bet you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

• Like 3

That is a lot of tips to rig a senko!!!

Got a question regarding the Yamamoto Senko? Anything and everything you want to know is all right here!

Forum Discussions

senko basics

Does the salt make a difference senkos (I would like to know if all salt impregnated worms sink like senkos )

Favorite Senko colors?

Favorite Gary Yamamoto Senko Color?

Poll: What is the best solid senko color excluding flakes?

Your best senko color and presentation

Senko color I am going to buy senkos but I don't know what colors to buy

SENKO CRAZE?!?!?!?!?!

The Senko has to be the most lethal lure ever

Senko: Is it Evil?

Senko Baits Just wondering what you all thought....

Senko worms

Sinko Worms

Advanced Senko Fishing

Anyone use the 2" Senko? For what??

7'' Senko How You Rigging Yours??

Weight of a Senko?

Swimming Senko

Swimming Senkos

How Do You Rig A Senko? (poll)

Senko Techniques

senko presentation ???

Senko techniques

Top Water Senko

senko fishin what is the best way to fish a senko worm

Help Me Gain Confidence In The Senko

How Long Do You Let The Senko Sit On The Bottom?

Using rattles in Senko's? Senko Baits by lovecranking

Senkos weighted or weightless??

Senko and a bobber?

Senkos not working

Enjoy!!

Glenn - Thanks for consolidating the "Best of Bass Resource" content.  As I mentioned in another post, I caught my first bass on a football jig last week.  Earlier today I decided to commit to correctly fishing w/ the Senko and caught my biggest fish to date.  

post-54464-0-16032100-1434498738_thumb.j

Y'all are missing out if you never throw senkos or finesse worms t-rigged, weightless.

I agree. Conditions were horrible yesterday when I decided to get my line wet over lunch break.  It was over 90 degrees and the water was extremely muddy.  I decided to commit to a weightless t-rigged Senko after reading another post on Bass Resource.  

I threw out a purple/black 5'.  Cast.  Let drop to bottom w/ slack.  Slowly retrieve with rod tip by pulling lifting up every 4 -6 ft, let sink to bottom, then lift rod tip.  

I caught the fish pasted below in less than a dozen casts.  My cheap digital scale said he was a little over 3lbs.    

Note - I also pulled the tip of the Senko over the eye of the hook and had no issue with moss/grass.  

post-54464-0-64535200-1434553698_thumb.j

Looks like I'm gona be doing some reading

Yes!

:winter-146:

Hey folks -

Please read all the threads listed on the first post of this thread.  The questions being posted here are all answered there.

Thanks!

Glenn

Help I need to know everything about senkos I read Glenn's post but what do I do for drop shot? Never fished it before but heard great things. What stuff do I need? Line, weight, lure, color, hook.  

What senkos are good for

Anything helps 

On 12/26/2016 at 7:32 PM, AustinHellickson said:

Help I need to know everything about senkos I read Glenn's post but what do I do for drop shot? Never fished it before but heard great things. What stuff do I need? Line, weight, lure, color, hook.  

What senkos are good for

Anything helps 

I know this is an older post, but mannnnn, if you slowed down and took time to read/watch all the videos/articles in post #1 then you'd have your answer.

• Like 1