whj812

Jig Fishing Questions

What a great thread, I've fished jigs some but can't wait to try some of the info I've gathered here.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, J Francho said:

Sometimes you feel it.  Sometimes you don't, but the line does something weird.  Sometimes you don't,but it stopped sinking before it got to bottom.  Feel, concentrate, and count your bait down.  Once it's down there, imagine everything the bait is doing and running into.  Anything that doesn't add up, it's probably a fish.

Reminds me of a time my brother and I were casting jigs in deep structure. No sooner had my jig went in when my line took off across the surface and all I did was stand there with my mouth open watching it. It was my brother yelling, "Swing, swing...!" that finally brought me back to Earth. Yes, it was weird.

Good thread.

• Like 1

Jigs are great during the middle

of the day when it’s really hot and the bass are hanging out under heavy cover. Just flip a jig in heavy cover and twitch twitch boom! Make sure the trailer matches the jig color. IMO 

This is a great thread with a ton of good info. I’ve been fishing for 30 years but this year I have really just come to appreciate how effective a jig can be. It’s a Lure I never used to use because I had no confidence in it. The lakes where I live can be tough, like 1-2 keepers and 3-4 pounds wins a 25 boat tournament tough, so it was hard to throw anything different to learn and gain confidence in it. I took my yearly trip to Guntersville with my dad this May and after the morning bite would die I would make myself throw a jig. Man did it ever make me a believer. The jig got so many bites and caught so many quality fish that I have had one tied on every day that I have gone

out since then. I learned how to use it and the jig had gone from a Lure that I wouldn’t throw to one of my confidence baits. 

• Like 1

what is the head shape on a bitsy bug jig considered? For whatever reason these are the only jigs I can fish without hanging up in the ponds I throw them at. I’d like more variety and sizes of jigs, but am not totally sure what this head shape is called? Finesse flipping jig maybe? I tried ballhead jigs and it was terrible, same with footballs, so those are out of the question. 

1 hour ago, Mike F said:

what is the head shape on a bitsy bug jig considered? For whatever reason these are the only jigs I can fish without hanging up in the ponds I throw them at. I’d like more variety and sizes of jigs, but am not totally sure what this head shape is called? Finesse flipping jig maybe? I tried ballhead jigs and it was terrible, same with footballs, so those are out of the question. 

Finesse jig. Siebert Outdoors calls it a Sniper jig.

Tom

Good, I just ordered some of those actually! The nomenclature for jigs is confusing for a beginner because a lot of times a finesse jig is a ball head jig with a finesse cut and other times it’s something else entirely. I really like that grass/brush style head on the bitsy bugs. In your experience is it beneficial to have the line tie parallel with the hook? I feel like it is, but have not been fishing jigs long enough to form a solid opinion.

Becoming a grownup, there can start to be fewer and fewer mysteries to think about, including ironically, sasquatch and things like this. The more experts I have been exposed to, the more certain I have become that there's not one...or any! That was a huge bummer for me. Another mystery, destroyed!

But this jig fishing topic is something to bring back some mystery. Although a lot if this can't be proven other than anecdotally (video is proof, yes. I'm referring to the idea that maybe you missed something that you didn't know you missed and the only way to know SOMEtimes is to set the hook...whether you actually feel anything or not!) this seems to be a rabbit hole that seems worth going down!

For right now, I'm casting jigs, long casts from the bank. "Swim jigs", grass jigs and arky jigs. My football heads and standups have been in their box for a long time because on MOST places I fish, they're less than ideal. I'm using 50lb braid. I'm catching fish. I know for sure that there are parts of the cast where I may not be feeling the other end because I'm doing something that isn't ideal, making these very long casts. This isn't my go-to set up but it's what I'm doing now because of the season change, trying to reach water I can't walk to access and because its a skill I am trying to improve. I have so many places I can fish that I can't even count but one particular spot, an old quarry lake, is where I'm doing this. I usually don't do this on the lakes or rivers but this quarry seems like a no-brainer and it's been working well. 

I'm mostly dragging an arky jig. Very slow. What other recommendations would you make or change about this setup, given what I'm trying to do? What about trying to drag a jig from the bank, uphill? Does everyone agree that a worm (specifically a big worm?), worked similarly, would be better? 

Thanks!

On 11/8/2013 at 4:12 PM, WRB said:

If the bass is a largemouth they tend to engulf the jig fully into their mouth and crunch it between the tongue and top of the mouth. Look into a basses mouth and in the back on the top of the mouth are a set of crunchers used to kill prey. Largemouth use their lips to prevent prey from escaping, not usually to bite with. The tap you feel is the jig hitting the back of the bass mouth, the second tap is often the jig being spit out.

You can't set too fast on largemouth bass. Smallmouth and spots often grab a crawdad by it's claws and shake it, before taking it info the mouth, so a hesitation works OK. More than likely the bass swam directly at you and simply spit the jig without being hook well.

Better hook set will help.

Tom

Exactly what you need to understand for the timing in bites you actually feel. After a couple of fish where I felt that and set it after the second, I had some not hooked well and about as many missed. They were gone. I thought about how they eat for just a minute and decided to set fast on the first feel and the hookups were better and fish not lost. 

I wanted to confirm this so I asked specifically the other day. Seems this time of year is slow for comments! Luckily, I found this old thread, read every comment on it, 8 pages worth so far, and found exactly the answer I was looking for!

On 8/9/2018 at 5:16 PM, Harold Scoggins said:

Reminds me of a time my brother and I were casting jigs in deep structure. No sooner had my jig went in when my line took off across the surface and all I did was stand there with my mouth open watching it. It was my brother yelling, "Swing, swing...!" that finally brought me back to Earth. Yes, it was weird.

Good thread.

This happens to me quite a bit. The biggest bass I've caught on a jig sucked it in before it hit bottom. It wasn't moving but it didn't feel right so I set the hook and it took off into overhanging brush. I had to reel up to it because ti was deep in the brush. I got close then it took off to deeper water, breaking all the limbs. Thank goodness for 30# braid.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 12:26 PM, Glenn said:

19 pages loaded with information, and you want to tell somebody to go somewhere else "for the most help"?  Seriously?

YouTube has been helpful also but supplemental to this thread. I have watched videos or even experienced certain things fishing and not fully understood them, or they didn't stand out, and after a thread like this The light bulb comes on. It can work in reverse but from what I've seen, if you don't understand or haven't heard the things about jigs before, and watch a video, because of the format most of the importance of the detail will new lost on you if you even realize it was anything other than just some words. 

But yeah, fish, read, watch, read...watch again if you want. Keep fishing. 

On 2/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, Lottabass said:

This is all great info.  My 2 cents worth will be short.  If you fish a jig all day and catch the five fish that you felt bite it, then you missed the other fifty that bit without you knowing it.....

Dah! Stop saying that! Ha, ha, that enough people say it isn't what's compelling about solving something like this, it's the believable experiences of people with decades of experience and visual proof and logical reasons related to bass behavior.

I don't know about anybody else but I fish from the bank and don't use any kind of electronics. To me, putting all of the pieces of the puzzle together and catching the fish that are supposed to be in a specific spot, with a specific technique, in specific conditions is the best part of fishing for me, any more. Jigs do get bigger bites, you can use them any where, any time and you will never have it mastered. There's still a challenge with a big payoff to it. 

All that said, I've been beating up all my @Siebert Outdoors jigs and jig heads this fall and catching good numbers of good fish. Their colors are great, the hooks stick 'em and I never feel like I'm wondering if I will have a good hook up. 

Yes, I've read all 22 pages of this post, the cited posts in this one and every page of the other years-long threads on this subject. Mostly because of the "what if?" I guess I've been turned into a little kid a week before Christmas thinking about throwing some jigs around. You can catch a few fish if you read a few pages but you're missing out if you stop there. 

I've gotten pretty decent at catching fish nearly any where I decide to go but I have to say, that since I've really decided to throw only jigs, the size of my average fish have gone up considerably. And for ME, this fall, I haven't gotten fewer bites that were bigger, I've actually gotten more.